CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Installation (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-installation/)
-   -   OpenFOAM 1.7 installation issue in Ubuntu 10.04 (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-installation/78864-openfoam-1-7-installation-issue-ubuntu-10-04-a.html)

hcmadhu August 4, 2010 05:47

OpenFOAM 1.7 installation issue in Ubuntu 10.04

I am Very New new to Ubuntu and was trying to install Open foam 1.7 solved some of the isseus but now i am stuck at this Error during running foamInstallationTest

WARNING: Conflicting installations:
OpenFOAM settings : /home/madhu/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.7.0/applications/bin/linux64GccDPOpt/icoFoam

Base configuration ok.

*** The foam installation contains 1 critical error(s)
*** Review the output for warning messages and consult
*** the installation guide for trouble shooting.

Please Help

wyldckat August 7, 2010 18:21

Greetings Madhu and welcome to the forum!

You should follow the instructions in the official site (starting -->here <--), but for Ubuntu 10.04, install the packages listed in this thread first: Building OpenFOAM1.7.0 from source post #4 and onward

Best regards,
Bruno

hcmadhu August 7, 2010 22:54

Thanks man will do that

dtc5341 August 13, 2010 13:02

Directory OpenFOAM does not exist

Dear All,

I've installed OpenFOAM 1.6 on an earlier version of Ubuntu and the installation method created a folder $HOME/OpenFOAM. However, I'm currently on Ubuntu 10.04 and followed the package build option on the OpenFOAM website to the letter. However, I now do not have a $HOME/OpenFOAM directory. OpenFOAM has installed it self in the $opt/openfoam170 folder. Is this a problem?

DtC

wyldckat August 16, 2010 08:49

Greetings DtC and welcome to the forum!

The instructions you followed for installing OpenFOAM 1.7.0 deb packages for Ubuntu 10.04 will install OpenFOAM in the /opt folder. This means that you will have to be more careful when working with OpenFOAM than before, because with this installation you cannot write into /opt/openfoam170 without root access. With this installation, you should only work with your own home folders. For example, as you can see in the download page at www.openfoam.com for Ubuntu:
Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.openfoam.com/download/ubuntu.php
cp -r $FOAM_TUTORIALS $FOAM_RUN

This command will copy all the tutorials resident in the folder /opt/openfoam170/tutorials to $HOME/OpenFOAM/$USER-1.7.0/run/tutorials. This way, you won't "damage" the original tutorials.

When it comes to building your own applications for OpenFOAM, you should change the last line the the file Make/files to point to a folder of yours, or for example for pisoFoam, change this:
Code:

EXE = $(FOAM_APPBIN)/pisoFoam
to this:
Code:

EXE = $(FOAM_USER_APPBIN)/pisoFoam
Best regards and good luck,
Bruno

dtc5341 August 24, 2010 15:12

Dear wyldckat,

Thank you for your reply.

With best regards,
DtC

Ingenierias2003 August 24, 2010 16:28

Please Help Me Installation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear OF users,

I am trying to install OF-1.7.x. First I install this software
sudo apt-get install binutils-dev flex bison git-core build-essential python-dev libreadline5-dev wget zlib1g-dev cmake libpng12-dev libxt-dev libxi-dev libxrender-dev libxrandr-dev libxcursor-dev libxinerama-dev libfreetype6-dev libfontconfig1-dev libglib2.0-dev freeglut3-dev libqt4-dev qt4-dev-tools
I am using ubuntu 10.04, for download OF i usd th git protocol, after download the Thirdparty-1.7.0 tar and move for 1.7.x after edit my bashrc for
. $HOME/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.7.x/etc/bashrc
Then . $HOME/.bashrc. Well the next step is ./Allwmake

The terminal report this message

Error: Current directory is not $WM_PROJECT_DIR
The environment variable are not consistent with the installation.
Check the OpenFOAM entries in your dot-files and source them.:confused:

I am using echo $WM_PROJECT_DIR to know the right directory for installation in Allwmake i $Home/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.7.x
I am trying to install in usr/local and /opt but I have the same results please help me?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confus ed::confused:.

Respectfully
Javier Basurco

wyldckat August 24, 2010 16:55

Greetings Javier,

I think that you might be trying too many things at the same time ;)

OK, lets try this:
  1. Open a new terminal or console.
  2. Run:
    Code:

echo $WM_PROJECT_DIR
    If it outputs the folder where you put OpenFOAM-1.7.x, then you move to the next step.
  3. Run:
    Code:

cd $WM_PROJECT_DIR
    ./Allwmake

If you reached point number 2 and nothing was outputed, then perhaps you edited the wrong "~/.bashrc" file...
Now, if you reached point 3 and it still complains... then there is something very strange going on :(

Best regards and good luck,
Bruno