Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   March 26, 2012, 03:23
Default Installing OpenFOAM 2.1.0 on ROCKS cluster

aerospain
aerospain is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to aerospain
Hi all,

We are trying to install/compile OpenFOAM 2.1.0 on a ROCKS cluster from sources. I have taken another thread in this forum (which I cannot find again) as a reference, but that thread talks about OpenFOAM 2.0 through installation of CentoFOAM.

Besides the newest version of OpenFOAM which I would prefer to install, I am concerned as well with the version of the GCC compiler. This cluster has just 4.1.x installed in it and, with other simulation solvers installed, I would like to avoid updating the "main" gcc installation.

My questions are:
(a) Can I install CentoFOAM in this cluster and use a newer version of GCC which will be installed in the main OpenFOAM installation tree?
(b) Would it be easy to update OpenFOAM 2.0 to 2.1.0 after this installation?
(c) If I want to install directly OpenFOAM2.1.0 and related ThirdParty, which issues whould I be concerned about besides GCC version, and how can I make the installation/compilation last the shortest time possible?

Thanks!
aerospain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 26, 2012, 07:00

Niels Nielsen
linnemann will become famous soon enough
Just install centFOAM

It will not do anything to your system.

It comes with its own GCC version 4.6.x.

There are multiple guides/help on how to compile OF on CentOS 5.x releases.

This thread has guide for OF-1.7 but the procedure is the same for 2.1
OpenFOAM-1.7.0 for CentOS/RHEL/SL 5.x 64bit released

PS. I do not do personal support, so please post in the forums.
linnemann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 26, 2012, 07:03

aerospain
Thanks Niels,

We will follow those guidelines this afternoon

cheers!

Old   March 27, 2012, 04:50

Franco Marra
francescomarra is on a distinguished road
I too use Rocks cluster to run OpenFOAM. To get everything working some time ago was not so easy. Essentially I was successful to install OpenFOAM following the suggestion of Niels.

If you like to read more (maybe too) detailed instructions for the installation, you can find them in the forum of the CFDEM third party software for lagrangian particle transport, I prepared some time ago (www.cfdem.com, search form for CentOS, maybe registration is required).
Essentially, I decided to install CentFOAM to get a working gcc installation separate form the system gcc.
The major effort was to recognize the environment variables to maintain separate the two compilers so to be sure to not break possible dependencies with the Rocks system.

Please note that I am not a professional system administrator: maybe better solutions could be available (modules ?). If you have comments or suggestions please let me know.

Best regards,

Franco
francescomarra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 27, 2012, 05:28

aerospain
Hi Franco,

I will take a look at the information you mention. We tried yesterday with no luck because of different dependencies needed by OF21 with respect to gcc, mpfr, mpc, gmp, ppl, ...

I am visiting some people in another university at the end of this week and they may give me a few more hints from the system they have installed in their cluster.

Thank you for your help

C.