CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   OpenFOAM Native Meshers: blockMesh (
-   -   blockMesh: symbol lookup error (

Vadims.geza January 6, 2011 08:42

blockMesh: symbol lookup error
Hello OF users!

I have problem, after new installation of OF 171, blockmesh would not run saying:

blockMesh: symbol lookup error: /home/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.7.1/lib/linuxGccDPOpt/ undefined symbol: _ZTIN4Foam16regionPropertiesE

the same error running splitMeshRegions, maybe for some other applications as well. Does anybody have any idea?

Thanks in advance!

Sherlock_1812 November 1, 2013 01:58

I know this is an old post but I am also getting a similar error. I have just compiled a BC without errors and now when i run blockMesh with that boundary condition in place i get:

blockMesh: symbol lookup error: /home/srivathsan/OpenFOAM/srivathsan-2.1.1/platforms/linuxGccDPOpt/lib/ undefined symbol: _ZTIN4Foam35newDirectionMixedFvPatchVectorFieldE

Were you able to correct the error? What is the problem here?

Lieven November 1, 2013 20:04

If I'm not mistaking, you get this error when you don't include the library in the controlDict-file. So adding something like:

to the controlDict-file should solve the problem.

You can find more info at

Sherlock_1812 November 4, 2013 01:30

Hi Lieven,

Thank you. I understand what you've written.

I wrote my BC as a derived boundary condition and compiled it in finiteVolume/fields/fvPatchFields/derived/myNewBC (this is in FOAM_USER src directory). I made the necessary additions to the 'Make' folder in the finite volume directory and gave a wmake. Shouldn't this be enough?

I've added to the controlDict of my case file too, but I get the same error. I'm missing some vital point linking libraries. Can't figure out what.

Lieven November 6, 2013 06:48

Hi Sherlock,

Have you solved the problem.
What do you mean exactly by 'finite volume directory'?
Could you post your options-file from the Make folder?

Sherlock_1812 November 6, 2013 07:26

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Lieven,

I've attached my options file. I am not sure what to add in the EXE_INC and EXE_LIBS. The boundary condition is named 'newDirectionMixed' and is present in my solver directory.

Can you spot where I've gone wrong?