CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Other Meshers: ICEM, Star, Ansys, Pointwise, GridPro, Ansa, ... (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-meshing-other/)
-   -   Hypermesh Update???? (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-meshing-other/96583-hypermesh-update.html)

deji January 26, 2012 10:10

Hypermesh Update????

Hello Foamers. I am in the process of creating my 3D meshes with hypermesh, and need to know if there is any update regarding converting these hypermesh files into OpenFOAM? I did see a couple of threads regarding this same topic, but they are quite old. Can anyone please give me some feedback on this?

Cheers,
Deji

deji January 26, 2012 10:13

I think I've found the answer to my question, :D

Deji

bastil January 30, 2012 05:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by deji (Post 341292)
I think I've found the answer to my question, :D

Deji

And what is the answer, please?

slawekchr January 30, 2012 08:47

Hi,

you can export your mesh from Hypermesh directly to OpenFoam
(it is possible from Hypermesh version 10.0).
Or you can export from HM to fluent and then use fluentMeshToFoam.

Slawek

hellorishi May 3, 2013 07:51

Although there is a direct way to export from HyperMesh to OpenFOAM, exporting via Fluent remains the most robust method (as of HyperMesh 12.0).

billie May 3, 2013 08:14

Currently exporting to fluent mesh is the more robust method as hellorishi already mentioned.

This is especially true for multi-region cases and if internal faces are required which is because the direct export from Hypermesh to Openfoam does not distinguish between internal and external faces. Everything is exported as a boundary. Exporting to fluent format first and using fluent*MeshToFoam creates boundaries for external faces and faceZones for internal faces if the recommended naming scheme is used in Hypermesh (i. e. prefixing internal faces with inte_).

There are also some face ordering problems which can occur when using the direct export method. This however can be fixed by using renumberMesh.

I have reported this issues to Altair and maybe this will be fixed eventually.

billie May 14, 2013 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by billie (Post 424955)

Today I received an email from the Altair support. The issues I have reported will be fixed in the next Update which will be Hyperworks 12.0-110. Lets see if this improves direct export to OpenFOAM from Hyperworks.

billie October 3, 2013 04:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by billie (Post 424955)
Currently exporting to fluent mesh is the more robust method as hellorishi already mentioned.

This is especially true for multi-region cases and if internal faces are required which is because the direct export from Hypermesh to Openfoam does not distinguish between internal and external faces. Everything is exported as a boundary. Exporting to fluent format first and using fluent*MeshToFoam creates boundaries for external faces and faceZones for internal faces if the recommended naming scheme is used in Hypermesh (i. e. prefixing internal faces with inte_).

There are also some face ordering problems which can occur when using the direct export method. This however can be fixed by using renumberMesh.

The Hyperworks 12.0 SA Update which includes Hypermesh 12.0.110.40 fixes the above mentioned issues. Direct export to OpenFOAM significantly improved with this version.