CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM Native Meshers: snappyHexMesh and Others

Can snappyHexMesh handle intersecting geometries?

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   January 14, 2015, 14:03
Default Can snappyHexMesh handle intersecting geometries?

Attesz
Attesz is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi all,

can snappyHexMesh handle geometries (closed STL/OBJ shells), that intersect each other? Will the algorithm identify these geometries as one and create a mesh around them, or I need to unite the two geometries?

Also, what happens when the geometry "sticks out" of the domain of the background mesh?

Thanks in advance!

Old   January 20, 2015, 17:57

Patrick Greene
P Greene is on a distinguished road
If part of your geometry sticks out of the background mesh, that part will simply be cut off.

As for your question about intersecting geometries, I'm not sure what you're referring to. If, as I think, you mean that some part of your geometry overlaps, I'm not sure what sHM will do. I suspect you are correct in that it will consider only those regions which are unambiguously "outside" your geometry as outside, and anything else as "inside". But there's only really one way to find out. Try it! Let me know your result.

Last edited by P Greene; January 20, 2015 at 18:03. Reason: Clarification and omition of unnecessary detail
P Greene is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 21, 2015, 07:06

Attesz
Attesz is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Patrick, thanks for your input.
On intersecting I mean not only overlapping, but penetrating geometries (e.g. a cylinder goes into a cube). What will be meshed in this case? The union of the geometries, or the mesh will go inside somehow?
Hope somebody else can also make an input. Nevertheless, I will try it out on a simple geometry!

Tags
intersecting geometry