CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   OpenFOAM Mesh Utilities (
-   -   Problem with stitchMesh: it does not work in meshes with several common patches (

arnau1985 June 20, 2013 11:32

Problem with stitchMesh: it does not work in meshes with several common patches
1 Attachment(s)

I am using mergeMeshes and stitchMesh to merge several meshes and to get rid of internal faces, as they are not supported by OpenFOAM. Everything works fine since the patches I am stitching are perfectly conformal and the geometries very simple. However, when I try to stitch more than one pair of patches in the same merged mesh I get the following error (please see the explanatory chart I have attached):

Face 73125 reduced to less than 3 points.  Topological/cutting error B.
Old face: 2(7938 7982) new face: 2(7938 7982)

From function void slidingInterface::coupleInterface(polyTopoChange& ref) const
    in file slidingInterface/coupleSlidingInterface.C at line 1795.

FOAM aborting

#0  Foam::error::printStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/home/arnau/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/"
#1  Foam::error::abort() in "/home/arnau/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/"
#2  Foam::slidingInterface::coupleInterface(Foam::polyTopoChange&) const in "/home/arnau/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/"
#3  Foam::polyTopoChanger::topoChangeRequest() const in "/home/arnau/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/"
#4  Foam::polyTopoChanger::changeMesh(bool, bool, bool, bool) in "/home/arnau/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/"
 in "/home/arnau/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/stitchMesh"
#6  __libc_start_main in "/lib/"
 in "/home/arnau/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/stitchMesh"

Just for the record, I delete all the pointZones, faceZones, cellZones and meshModifiers files after running stitchMesh every time. The OpenFOAM version I am using is 2.1.0 and the meshes were originally created with Salome and converted using ideasUnvToFoam.

Thank you very much for your time.

Kind regards,

Chart of mergeMeshes and stitchMesh process: Attachment 22858

cutter June 25, 2013 08:20

unfortunately I can't help you yet. Just for your information, the same thing has lately been observed and discussed in other threads:

Maybe you could provide your test case or a minimal working example too.

Good luck!

arnau1985 June 25, 2013 08:49

Thank you very much, Cutter!

I found a way to work around this problem a couple of days ago (it works at least in OpenFOAM 2.1). I post it in case anybody else experiences the same problem:

Do not ask my why, but for some reason, you have to run stitchMesh with the "-perfect" option. E.g.:

stitchMesh -case {case_name} -overwrite -perfect {master_patch} {slave_patch}
If anybody knows why this happens, please explain it.

By the way, the files *Zones and meshModyfiers in ./constant/polyMesh can be the source of other errors, so do not forget to delete them after every stitchMesh. Besides I have observed that in some OpenFOAM versions all patches, both internal and boundary conditions, have to be defined in ./0 when you stitch meshes.

Good luck!