CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Mesh Utilities (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-meshing-utilities/)
-   -   stitchMesh and mergeMeshes removal of interfaces (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-meshing-utilities/78111-stitchmesh-mergemeshes-removal-interfaces.html)

flowris July 13, 2010 09:07

stitchMesh and mergeMeshes removal of interfaces

Hello,

I am trying to combine two meshes (made with blockMesh) to one single mesh, using stitchMesh and mergeMeshes. The interfaces of both partial meshes are equal in dimensions and positions and are named interface1 and interface2.

When I run

mergeMeshes . rootCase . addCase

the patches interface1 and interface2 are in the new polyMesh/boundary file. They also remain when I run

stitchMesh interface1 interface 2

How can I remove them?

herbert July 13, 2010 09:26

Do these patches still have face in them? Or is the entry in polyMesh/boundary showing nFaces 0? In that case you can simply delete these entries. (Don't forget to change the number of patches at the top of the file, too)

Otherwise you can try stitchMesh -perfect

Regards,
Stefan

flowris July 13, 2010 09:40

Stefan,

Thank you for your quick reply. For the moment I cannot even run stitchMesh anymore. This is the error I receive:

Create time

Create mesh for time = 0

Coupling patches interface1 and interface2
Resulting (internal) faces will be in faceZone interface1interface2CutFaceZone

Note: the overall area covered by both patches should be identical ("integral" interface).
If this is not the case use the -partial option

Not all zones and patches needed in the definition have been found. Please check your mesh definition.
Error code: 000011

From function void slidingInterface::checkDefinition()
in file polyMeshModifiers/slidingInterface/slidingInterface.C at line 96.

FOAM aborting

Aborted

herbert July 13, 2010 11:46

Dear Flowris,

seems like at least one of the patches you want to stitch is not defined in polyMesh/boundary.

Regards,
Stefan

flowris July 15, 2010 07:16

Thanks Herbert,

I was now able to mergeMeshes and stitchMesh to meshes. The interface patches remain in the new mesh. How should I remove them?

herbert July 15, 2010 07:38

Hi Flowris,

either the patches are empty (nFaces=0) and the entries can just be removed in constant/boundary-file or they still have faces and can not be removed, because they are still not interior.

Regards,
Stefan

cww5059 July 16, 2010 12:06

similar problem

I have a very similar problem. I built two grids to define the region above and below a free surface and named the top patch of the bottom grid and bottom patch of the top grid as freeSurf (also, when I constructed both grids I used the same domain to define freeSurf). When I run mergeMeshes it does connect the two grids together, but instead of removing both of the freeSurf patches, as it should have become an interior face, it leaves the one from the main case.