CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion

Gambit periodic convert to OF

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ali jafari
  • 1 Post By ali jafari

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   November 24, 2012, 06:02
Red face Gambit periodic convert to OF
  #1
Member
 
ali jafari
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 50
Rep Power: 4
ali jafari is on a distinguished road
hi
I study flow between two concentric cylinders , I set top and bottom boundary conditions to periodic condition and use fluent3DMeshToFoam for converting *.msh . checkMesh is OK but when I run paraFoam and apply mesh and geometry suddenly paraview exiting appear at terminal .
ali jafari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 24, 2012, 07:03
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
Lieven
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mol, Belgium
Posts: 295
Rep Power: 13
Lieven will become famous soon enough
Is there an error printed in the terminal besides 'paraview exiting'?

I doubt it is a mesh problem if checkMesh is succesfull (it basically means your mesh is ok so paraview does not have a reason not to accept it). It could be a boundary condition problem. Also check the patches in the constant/polymesh/boundary file.

Regards,

L
Lieven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 24, 2012, 11:57
Smile
  #3
Member
 
ali jafari
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 50
Rep Power: 4
ali jafari is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieven View Post
Is there an error printed in the terminal besides 'paraview exiting'?

I doubt it is a mesh problem if checkMesh is succesfull (it basically means your mesh is ok so paraview does not have a reason not to accept it). It could be a boundary condition problem. Also check the patches in the constant/polymesh/boundary file.

Regards,

L
Thank you .
yes it was a boundary condition problem , my problem got solve !
ali jafari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 6, 2013, 10:39
Question
  #4
Senior Member
 
cfdonline2mohsen's Avatar
 
Mohsen KiaMansouri
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CFD Lab
Posts: 118
Rep Power: 7
cfdonline2mohsen is on a distinguished road
Dear ali jafari

I have seen in a lot of posts that Foamers claimed that it is not possible to define periodic B.C. in Gambit and then export it to OpenFOAM by using FluentMeshToFoam. instead they must be defined as walls and then CreatePatch utility must be used for creating cyclic patches.

How about Fluent3DMeshToFoam? is it possible to export directly the periodic B.Cs from Gambit to OpenFOAM without using CreatePatch utility?
__________________
“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.”
cfdonline2mohsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 6, 2013, 10:56
Default
  #5
Member
 
ali jafari
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 50
Rep Power: 4
ali jafari is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfdonline2mohsen View Post
Dear ali jafari

I have seen in a lot of posts that Foamers claimed that it is not possible to define periodic B.C. in Gambit and then export it to OpenFOAM by using FluentMeshToFoam. instead they must be defined as walls and then CreatePatch utility must be used for creating cyclic patches.

How about Fluent3DMeshToFoam? is it possible to export directly the periodic B.Cs from Gambit to OpenFOAM without using CreatePatch utility?
hi
Dear Kia
unfortunately ,Fluent3DMeshToFoam can not do it. I used Createpatch utility . and it work very good if you link boundary correctly in gambit.
But I strong recommend you use the blockmesh also blockmesh is difficult for 3D models but finally cost of calculating decreased ( I worked on this subject over six month )

good luck
cfdonline2mohsen likes this.
ali jafari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 6, 2013, 12:21
Default
  #6
Senior Member
 
cfdonline2mohsen's Avatar
 
Mohsen KiaMansouri
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CFD Lab
Posts: 118
Rep Power: 7
cfdonline2mohsen is on a distinguished road
Thanks ali
Since I have a complex geometry and also need a high quality mesh, It is almost impossible to use blockMesh.
I have a problem with linking the two faces in Gambit.
I want to create a cyclic baffle inside my internal domain (sth like fan B.C.).
I define two planes inside my domain then link them together and Gambit says that they have been successfully linked but after defining the B.Cs in Gambit when I want to export .msh file, It shows an error about shadow or sth like that...
would you please explain your procedure for linking the two planes and exporting it for OpenFOAM step by Step for me?
Thanks in advane
__________________
“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.”
cfdonline2mohsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 6, 2013, 16:25
Default
  #7
Member
 
ali jafari
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 50
Rep Power: 4
ali jafari is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfdonline2mohsen View Post
Thanks ali
Since I have a complex geometry and also need a high quality mesh, It is almost impossible to use blockMesh.
I have a problem with linking the two faces in Gambit.
I want to create a cyclic baffle inside my internal domain (sth like fan B.C.).
I define two planes inside my domain then link them together and Gambit says that they have been successfully linked but after defining the B.Cs in Gambit when I want to export .msh file, It shows an error about shadow or sth like that...
would you please explain your procedure for linking the two planes and exporting it for OpenFOAM step by Step for me?
Thanks in advane
in the link tool two check box exists.(periodic and reverse) you must active these check boxes and you must select oriented of your face, correctly . this selection depends on geometry.
ali jafari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 6, 2013, 16:58
Default
  #8
Senior Member
 
cfdonline2mohsen's Avatar
 
Mohsen KiaMansouri
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CFD Lab
Posts: 118
Rep Power: 7
cfdonline2mohsen is on a distinguished road
Thanks
After linking these two faces, which boundary condition do you use for them before exporting the .msh file for OpenFOAM?
__________________
“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.”
cfdonline2mohsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 7, 2013, 11:41
Default
  #9
Member
 
ali jafari
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 50
Rep Power: 4
ali jafari is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfdonline2mohsen View Post
Thanks
After linking these two faces, which boundary condition do you use for them before exporting the .msh file for OpenFOAM?
I used Wall boundary condition in gambit and changed it to cyclic after converting .
cfdonline2mohsen likes this.
ali jafari is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
convert to real in gambit mutena24 FLUENT 7 January 11, 2010 04:13
Error for periodic boundary in GAMBIT Karim FLUENT 0 August 25, 2007 02:45
Periodic Boundaries in GAMBIT!! swetha FLUENT 1 November 26, 2006 23:02
export or convert gambit mesh to CGNS zaidun FLUENT 6 April 20, 2006 04:48
Gambit periodic boundaries vs TGrid AnnaG FLUENT 0 June 20, 2002 16:16


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 13:20.