CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-meshing/)
-   -   Modification of a mesh during runtime (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-meshing/124283-modification-mesh-during-runtime.html)

Scofield October 1, 2013 08:12

Modification of a mesh during runtime

Hey all,

i am searching for a functionality in OpenFoam to modify a mesh during runtime of my simulation. The modification should be read in the next time step.

Does anyone know if there exists a functionality for my problem?

Remark:
Using the dynamic mesh functionality, the informations (time and movement) for modifying a mesh have to be defined already in the preprocessing step. It not allows a modification during runtime as far as I know.

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Daniel

zhengzh5 October 4, 2013 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scofield (Post 454451)
Hey all,

i am searching for a functionality in OpenFoam to modify a mesh during runtime of my simulation. The modification should be read in the next time step.

Does anyone know if there exists a functionality for my problem?

Remark:
Using the dynamic mesh functionality, the informations (time and movement) for modifying a mesh have to be defined already in the preprocessing step. It not allows a modification during runtime as far as I know.

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Daniel

hey, as far as i know, there isn't that function. and I do have one quick question, do you want the solver to calculate the new shape, morph it, and do more calculations, like a shape optimization problem?

Scofield October 8, 2013 06:01

Thanks zhengzh5 for your response.
When I modify my mesh, i just want that the simulation continues with the modified mesh. I intend to prescribe how the mesh should be modified, so the solver does not have to calculate a specific shape.

eysteinn October 8, 2013 07:03

I'm not sure what your goal is here. I'm guessing modification of the surface nodes
and then propagating the motion into the domain?

Here are some nice tutorials on how you can modify your mesh
Tutorial 1
Tutorial 2

or maybe you want to change the topology while running?, then you can take a look at this one

There are some other tutorials that you can find here
and changing the year in the url will reveal some more.

/Eysteinn

Daniel_Khazaei October 8, 2013 09:11

well I think I am trying to do the same and have a similar question.

What I want to do is, for example:

at time t :

calculation will be performed on the current mesh and then the mesh will be moved. After that, according to a criterion (e.g skewness), the moved mesh will be refined and data from older mesh will be mapped on the new mesh.

at the end, the next time ( t+ delt_t) starts on the final mesh.

Is there any functionality already implemented to do this?

regards

eysteinn October 8, 2013 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_Khazaei (Post 455716)
well I think I am trying to do the same and have a similar question.

What I want to do is, for example:

at time t :

calculation will be performed on the current mesh and then the mesh will be moved. After that, according to a criterion (e.g skewness), the moved mesh will be refined and data from older mesh will be mapped on the new mesh.

at the end, the next time ( t+ delt_t) starts on the final mesh.

Is there any functionality already implemented to do this?

regards

There is no one solver or utility that I know of that does this all.
There are tools that do each one of those things, and then it is a question of
combining them. You should be able to do this for a single processor by modifying
the solver you want to use and running the different utilities from there.

Maybe someone else here has a better suggestion?

/Eysteinn

zhengzh5 October 15, 2013 12:49

if you have all the mesh ready for different time steps, I would just write a bash script to call the solver, map the fields from old mesh to new mesh and continue with the calculation.