CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion

makeAxialMesh issue

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   January 19, 2010, 21:56
Default makeAxialMesh issue
  #1
Member
 
Eelco Gehring
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 70
Rep Power: 8
feijooos is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I am having some trouble using the makeAxialMesh utitlity. I am hoping somebody can help me out...

When I run the testcase in the makeAxialMesh folder (axialCavity), I don't get an axisymmetric mesh (see attached picture, top view of mesh). This is before I ran the collapseEdges utility. When I hit checkMesh, I get 1 failed test. After using the collapseEdges utility (1e-5 180 as variables), the mesh is ok, but the mesh remains unchanged visually. Am I just making a stupid mistake or this a serious issue??



Furthermore, this utility only seems to work in the "new" mode. When using the "old" mode I get a printStack error upon execution of the collapseEdges utility.

Any ideas are very welcome!

Thanks, Eelco
feijooos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 20, 2010, 12:34
Default
  #2
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,915
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by feijooos View Post
Hi,

I am having some trouble using the makeAxialMesh utitlity. I am hoping somebody can help me out...

When I run the testcase in the makeAxialMesh folder (axialCavity), I don't get an axisymmetric mesh (see attached picture, top view of mesh). This is before I ran the collapseEdges utility. When I hit checkMesh, I get 1 failed test. After using the collapseEdges utility (1e-5 180 as variables), the mesh is ok, but the mesh remains unchanged visually. Am I just making a stupid mistake or this a serious issue??



Furthermore, this utility only seems to work in the "new" mode. When using the "old" mode I get a printStack error upon execution of the collapseEdges utility.

Any ideas are very welcome!

Thanks, Eelco
This behaviour is a feature, not a bug It allows you to define a geometry where the center of rotation is not going through the patch. Is it possible that you set the offset-parameter to a non-zero value?

Bernhard

PS: but the mesh looks the way you want it in "old" mode before you do a collapseEdges?
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 20, 2010, 12:46
Default
  #3
Member
 
Eelco Gehring
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 70
Rep Power: 8
feijooos is on a distinguished road
Dear Bernhard,

Thanks for the reply. Aah yes you're right, the offset-parameter is a non-zero value. That was an easy fix.

I think I also found the error with the "old" mode. When the offset value in the dictionary is non-zero, I get a printStack error when running checkMesh, which does not go away when collapsing the edges. However, when the offset is set to 0, there is no printStack error.

Thanks,

Eelco

ps. The mesh looks the way i want it when I use the "old" mode.
feijooos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 21, 2010, 05:57
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
Ivan Flaminio Cozza
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Torino, Piemonte, Italia
Posts: 207
Rep Power: 9
ivan_cozza is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ivan_cozza
Hi Foamers,
is makeAxialMesh working under OF 1.6.x?
Thanks,
Ivan
ivan_cozza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 21, 2010, 07:35
Default
  #5
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,915
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan_cozza View Post
Hi Foamers,
is makeAxialMesh working under OF 1.6.x?
Thanks,
Ivan
I think that the 1.5 version should compile/run on 1.6. Havn't used it myself in a long time, but a colleague of mine does

Bernhard
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 12, 2010, 04:25
Default
  #6
New Member
 
X.G. Li
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bremen, Germany
Posts: 19
Rep Power: 8
CYMa is on a distinguished road
Hallo, Eelco

input the following lines in rotationDict and the axis will go though (0 0 0) along the direction
(1 0 0)
rotationVector (1 0 0);
originVector (0 0 0);
CYMa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 12, 2010, 04:27
Default
  #7
New Member
 
X.G. Li
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bremen, Germany
Posts: 19
Rep Power: 8
CYMa is on a distinguished road
Hallo, Ivan Flaminio Cozza

It also works
under OF 1.6.x, at least on my machine.
CYMa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 22, 2014, 18:02
Default
  #8
New Member
 
Ali Kadar
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Delft
Posts: 24
Rep Power: 3
flowAlways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschaider View Post
This behaviour is a feature, not a bug It allows you to define a geometry where the center of rotation is not going through the patch. Is it possible that you set the offset-parameter to a non-zero value?

Bernhard

PS: but the mesh looks the way you want it in "old" mode before you do a collapseEdges?
Hello Bernhard,
Thanks for sharing the utility.

When I run the axialCavity test case I get 1 fail in checkMesh after doing makeAxialMesh.

Wedge patch frontAndBack_pos not planar. Point (0.005 0.065 0.00370765) is not in patch plane by 3.9962e-08 metre

I get the same fail again in checkMesh after doing collapseEdges (with minimumEdgeLength 1e-5 and maximumMergeAngle 180)

Can you please help me with this. Also when I view the mesh in paraFoam it does not look the way a collapsed face should appear(attahced image). Does it mean that its wrong ? Also I dont understand what makeAxialOldMode and makeAxialOffset do ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mesh.jpg (9.9 KB, 10 views)
__________________
A good solution is one which does justice to the inner nature of the problem- Cornelius Lanczos in a letter to Albert Einstein on March 9, 1947
flowAlways is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 23, 2014, 05:21
Default
  #9
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,915
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowAlways View Post
Hello Bernhard,
Thanks for sharing the utility.

When I run the axialCavity test case I get 1 fail in checkMesh after doing makeAxialMesh.

Wedge patch frontAndBack_pos not planar. Point (0.005 0.065 0.00370765) is not in patch plane by 3.9962e-08 metre

I get the same fail again in checkMesh after doing collapseEdges (with minimumEdgeLength 1e-5 and maximumMergeAngle 180)

Can you please help me with this. Also when I view the mesh in paraFoam it does not look the way a collapsed face should appear(attahced image). Does it mean that its wrong ? Also I dont understand what makeAxialOldMode and makeAxialOffset do ?
That is probably a problem with the precision of the point coordinates written to disc. You probably have a writePrecision of 6 in the controlDict. That means that there are digits truncated from the real coordinates which means that when checkMesh reads them in it looks like the point is not in the plane. Increase the writePrecision to 10 or higher before using the mesh manipulation utilities and afterwards reset it to the old value
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Simple Frustrating Meshing Issue in Gambit (w/pics) Dylan ANSYS Meshing & Geometry 6 March 23, 2009 17:14
Memory issue - Suse 10 - Opterons Andy R FLUENT 1 June 23, 2008 14:44
STAR-CD Dynamics issue 16 CD adapco Group Marketing CD-adapco 0 November 30, 2001 11:25
Issue 4 of adapco-online Sreenadh Jonnavithula Main CFD Forum 8 January 5, 2001 14:40
Issue 4 of adapco-online Sreenadh Jonnavithula CD-adapco 0 December 21, 2000 14:41


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23.