CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Announcements from Other Sources (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-news-announcements-other/)
-   -   Solid Mechanics Solvers added to OpenFOAM Extend (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-news-announcements-other/106881-solid-mechanics-solvers-added-openfoam-extend.html)

bigphil September 11, 2012 13:06

Solid Mechanics Solvers added to OpenFOAM Extend

Hi All,

I have been meaning to do this for a while and I have finally got around to it.
I have assembled the finite volume solid mechanics solvers that have been developed by my research group under the guidance of Prof. Alojz Ivanković, University College Dublin. A large number of people have contributed to the development of the solvers: Aleksandar Karac, Zeljko Tukovic, Hrvoje Jasak, Philip Cardiff, Declan Carolan, Michael Leonard and Valentine Kanyanta.

The included solid mechanics solvers employ the finite volume method
(not finite elements) to numerically approximate the displacements
and stresses in solid bodies undergoing deformation.

The included solvers are suitable for small strain, small strain with
large rotations, large strain, cohesive zones, plasticity, thermal-
elasticity, visco-elasticity, gravity forces, fluid-structure
interactions, multi-material analyses and contact stress analysis.

A number of custom boundary conditions with full non-orthogonal correction
are including time-varying displacements and tractions, fixed rotations,
and fixed displacements with zero shear stress.

The solvers have been added as a feature branch to OpenFOAM-1.6-ext. To download, get OpenFOAM-1.6-ext using git:
Code:

git clone git://openfoam-extend.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/openfoam-extend/OpenFOAM-1.6-ext
Then the solidMechanics feature branch may be checked out:
Code:

git checkout -b feature/solidMechanics remotes/origin/feature/solidMechanics
Now you will find the directory $WM_PROJECT_DIR/applications/solvers/solidMechanics containing the new solvers, tutorials and utilities.

Hopefully some of you will find this useful and maybe some of you will be converted from finite elements ;)

Have fun.

Best regards,
Philip

mechy September 12, 2012 03:06

I have download the OF-1.6-ext successfully but it did not contaion the solidMechanics also when I run this code : git checkout -b solidMechanics origin/solidMechanics the following error is shown

fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

if what folder this code should be executed ?
Please help me to download the solidMechanics solver
Best Regards

bigphil September 12, 2012 05:25

Hi Mechy,

sorry the command to get the solidMechanics branch is (this command is executed in the OpenFOAM-1.6-ext directory):
Code:

git checkout -b feature/solidMechanics remotes/origin/feature/solidMechanics
I shall edit the post above.

Philip

bigphil February 13, 2013 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpax (Post 407668)
hey phil,

i am currently testing the icoFsiElasticNonLinULSolidFoam - looks amazing!

just a minor suggestion: i think it's a bit misleading that the maximum number of Aitken iterations (nOuterCorr) is set in fvSolution under "PISO"...
wouldn't it make more sense if that parameter was set in couplingProperties, just like outerCorrTolerance etc.?

Hi kpax,

That's good to hear that you find them useful.

You are right, nOuterCorr is not that clear. In my defence I did not develop this solver ;)
But I can change it the next time I update the code.

Best regards,
Philip

PS As the OpenFOAM-1.6-ext git is currently down, I have put a ".tgz" of the solidMechanics solvers here (4.7 MB). I normally put the solidMechanics directory in $FOAM_SOLVERS.

bigphil June 9, 2013 08:54

Dear all,

I have recently compiled the solidMechanics code on OpenFOAM-2.2.0.
I had to disable a couple of features (it should be possible to get them working with a bit of time), but at least you can try out the code if you only have access to official OpenFOAM.

A ".tgz" of the solidMechanics code for OpenFOAM-2.2.0 can be downloaded here.

Extract the solidMechanics_OpenFOAM-2.2.0.tgz file to the $FOAM_SOLVERS directory and then compile using the include Allwmake script.

Note, the disabled features are:
  • solidInterface bi-material interface procedure (because of faMesh);
  • ggiInterpolation interpolation option in contact boundaries (should be possible to replace with AMI);
  • fixedRotation boundary condition because of RodriguesRotation (should be possible to calculate rotation tensor by hand);
  • finiteElement fluid mesh motion solver in FSI solver.

Best regards,
Philip

danny261083 August 25, 2013 21:09

Hi Dr. Cardiff,

I attempted to download OpenFOAM 1.6-ext using the command
git clone git://openfoam-extend.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/openfoam-extend/OpenFOAM-1.6-ext

However I received the error fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly.
I ended up downloading the version using
However, I was unable to checkout the solid solvers branch using
git checkout -b feature/solidMechanics remotes/origin/feature/solidMechanicsI ended up downloading the solidMechanics.tgz from one of the earlier posts. I would like to know whether I should be extracting all the contents (including tutorials) to the solvers folder that is located within the applications directory.

Thanks & Regards

Chris Lucas August 26, 2013 04:01

Hi

have a look at

http://sourceforge.net/p/openfoam-ex...i/master/tree/

git path to master branch is:

git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/openfoam-extend/OpenFOAM-1.6-ext openfoam-extend-OpenFOAM-1.6-ext

Christian

danny261083 August 26, 2013 10:07

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the git path to the master branch. However, I was unable to checkout the solidMechanics feature and ended up downloading the solidMechanics.tgz from one of the earlier posts. I needed confirmation that the contents (including tutorials) have to be extracted to the solvers folder located within the applications directory.

Thanks & Regards

bigphil August 26, 2013 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by danny261083 (Post 448105)
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the git path to the master branch. However, I was unable to checkout the solidMechanics feature and ended up downloading the solidMechanics.tgz from one of the earlier posts. I needed confirmation that the contents (including tutorials) have to be extracted to the solvers folder located within the applications directory.

Thanks & Regards

Hi Danny,

Apologies, the solidMechanics branch is no longer a git branch as it has been merged into the nextRelease branch getting ready for the nextRelease.

One can see all the remote branches using this command:
Code:

git remote show origin
So you could checkout the nextRelease branch (careful though, this is still under continuous development) and copy the code from that branch:
Code:

git checkout -b nextRelease origin/nextRelease
To answer your original question, yes you just extract the ".tgz" when inside the solvers directory: I keep all the code and tutorials together for now.

Philip

wyldckat September 14, 2013 16:21

Greetings to all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigphil (Post 432903)
A ".tgz" of the solidMechanics code for OpenFOAM-2.2.0 can be downloaded here.

@Philip: I've Githubified this source code here: https://github.com/wyldckat/solidMechanics
And adapted it to be built on OpenFOAM 2.1.x and 2.0.x... well, no so much as adapting, simply regressed the changes you had made for OpenFOAM 2.2.0 :)

Further modifications are explained on the updated "README.md" file ;).
Note: I have not tested any of the tutorials on any of the mentioned OpenFOAM versions ;)

Best regards,
Bruno

wyldckat November 24, 2013 08:36

Greetings to all!

In an attempt to make it easier to keep track of announcements regarding this very precious solidMechanics tool-kit, I've moved all of the posts that were support related to this thread:
http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ope...am-extend.html
So please, ask support questions there ;)

In addition, I've created a quick page at openfoamwiki.net for making it easier to keep the latest information on the location of the solidMechanics tool-kit: http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Co...solidMechanics
Anyone, please feel free to extend that page with more information, such as tutorials and ideas!!

Best regards,
Bruno

wyldckat May 1, 2014 13:11

Greetings to all!

The repository https://github.com/wyldckat/solidMechanics has a new branch for OpenFOAM 2.3.x.
Direct link to said branch, named OF23x: https://github.com/wyldckat/solidMechanics/tree/OF23x - installation instructions can be found on that page.

edit: I forgot to mention that I have not checked if there have been any fixes made on foam-extend 3.0 that should be ported to this repository.

Best regards,
Bruno

orca.blu August 19, 2014 06:25

help thermal expansion + contact

Dear all,

I am trying to use the elasticThermalSolidFoam solver of version 3.1 in presence of contact stresses.

Is it possible?

I modified the tutorial slidingFrictionBall. Temperature is solved correctly, but I got this error at the definition of Ueqn if master and slave patches are defined like in the original tutorial:

Code:

Solving for U

--> FOAM FATAL ERROR:

request for volVectorField U_0 from objectRegistry region0 failed
    available objects of type volVectorField are

(
U
UPrevIter
aitkenDelta
grad((((threeK*rho)*alpha)*(T-T0)))
divSigmaExp
)

From function objectRegistry::lookupObject<Type>(const word&) const
    in file /7gpr/aufiero/foam/foam-extend-3.1/src/foam/lnInclude/objectRegistryTemplates.C at line 139.

FOAM aborting

Aborted (core dumped)

I can not figure out where the error comes from (and how to solve it)

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Manu