CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   OpenFOAM Announcements from Other Sources (
-   -   New OpenFOAM PhD Thesis available for downloading (

santiagomarquezd August 13, 2013 09:53

New OpenFOAM PhD Thesis available for downloading
Hi all, I defended my PhD thesis en March, 2013. It was available only for reading since not all reviews were applied, now this process has finished and it can be downloaded by this link:

The topics covered are the following:
  • A general description of FVM discretization
  • An explanation of the FOAM's TVD framework
  • The PISO algorithm
  • An explanation of the MULES limiter (maybe the only one available in citable form)
  • The presentation of the Alebraic Slip Mixture Model (ASMM)
  • The writing of ASMM in center-of-volume velocity formulation
  • Solving some analytical examples with the ASMM
  • A Riemman-free solver included a centered flux at faces
  • An complete description of the interFoam (Volume of Fluid Solver)
  • The implementation of an ASMM solver
  • A presentation of an extended mixture solver from ASMM and VOF with examples

I hope you find this new material useful and I'm open to suggestions or questions about the topics presented in the thesis.

Keep FOAMing.

Astrodan May 20, 2014 05:34

Hi Santiago,

first of all, thank you for your thesis. I just read about 3 chapters of it and found it quite interesting, especially the ASMM and the Extended Model.

Since in my thesis I will also have to deal with multiphase flows I am currently trying to figure out which options I have. Unfortunately my mixture will contain low loads of particles (that I consider as solid, but very small and thus with a fluid like behaviour), a liquid phase and - in some cases - air. So far I have considered to apply the mixture model presented by Ishii and Hibiki to resolve the Solid/Liquid interaction and wanted to add this to a VOF solver.

Now, since I read your thesis, I understand that ASMM is based on the mixture model, and your extended model on ASMM, thus it should be possible to use it to solve the three-state mixture as whole. Are you aware of any test cases in this area, or have you (or a colleague) done any development regarding this? I had a short glance at the thesis of Bohorquez, but am not convinced that it is the droid I am looking for.

Furthermore: Is there any publicly available implementation of your solver? I haven't found anything so far.

Thank you so far,

P.S.: You got some neat vector based graphics, which program(s) did you use to draw them?

elvis May 21, 2014 06:47

Hi Santiago,

I hope that something of your thesis could also find its way to