CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Paraview & paraFoam (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-paraview/)
-   -   OpenFOAM (2.3.0) guide for ParaView (4.1.0) is not ok with actual software (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-paraview/132093-openfoam-2-3-0-guide-paraview-4-1-0-not-ok-actual-software.html)

zandi March 25, 2014 15:52

OpenFOAM (2.3.0) guide for ParaView (4.1.0) is not ok with actual software

Hi friends
I installed OpenFOAM 2.3.0 and ParaView 4.1.0
I did the first tutorial "Lid-driven cavity flow" in user guide (presented in the official website of OpenFOAM).
But first of all the discribtion is not compatible with GUI in ParaView.:confused:
It seems the user guide is an old version guide.
And another problem is that I couldn't see the results as the same as in tutorial presented.:(
Please help me if you have the answer!!
Thank you

wyldckat March 26, 2014 18:09

Quick request: please show images of what you're seeing and to which images your referring to in the User Guide.
Otherwise, I would say that it all seems perfectly fine to me :)

zandi March 28, 2014 01:16

Hello and thank you
It was my fault in order to result. I have not specified the time which mentioned in guide. when I did it, it got to be ok.
but the paraview window is a little different from what showed in guide, in properties and display tabs,..

derekm March 28, 2014 06:09

I have had the same issue. The differences are sufficient to throw a new user, and small enough not to be noticed by one who is familiar.

Classic issue of testing introductory documentation:the difficulty of getting the correct level of tester and once they have run through a few times they are no longer the correct level. The act of testing changes the tester.

IMHO: However, in the scale of documentation omissions that exist in OpenFoam, this one is relatively small beer.

Fully commented files in the Tutorial examples would be higher up the list.

wyldckat March 28, 2014 20:08

Greetings to all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by zandi (Post 482557)
but the paraview window is a little different from what showed in guide, in properties and display tabs,..

Mmm... OK, now I remember. The detail is that the pictures in the User Guide are from ParaView 3.10 or older.
ParaView 3.12.0 was the default version for all OpenFOAM versions since 2.0 to 2.2, if I'm not mistaken. Here the differences between the images and 3.12.0 isn't very big.

Problem is that OpenFOAM 2.3 currently has support for both ParaView 3.12.0 and 4.1.0. But ParaView is 4.x is following a new interface that is considerably different. Although the mnemonic is as simple as the following:
  1. The tabs "Properties" and "Display" have been merged into a single tab.
  2. There are settings that will only appear if we press on the "Gear" button.
I guess that they will only update the images on the User Guide when they drop support for ParaView 3.12 :(.

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekm (Post 482600)
I have had the same issue. The differences are sufficient to throw a new user, and small enough not to be noticed by one who is familiar.

Well... this is where the other detail about OpenFOAM comes in:
  1. The user must learn to spot the differences and be able to learn to correlate the information available in different versions of OpenFOAM.
  2. The user must pay close attention to any and all details.
  3. Failing either one of the 2 points above, will likely result in OpenFOAM not working as intended :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekm (Post 482600)
Fully commented files in the Tutorial examples would be higher up the list.

AFAIK, if someone sponsors them to do it, they will do it!

Best regards,
Bruno

zandi March 29, 2014 03:13

Thank you friends, but is there any documentation about ParaView which can be used? (tutorial or guide):rolleyes:
The help of software may be useful but it just works in the ParaView window! is there any individual help document?:confused:

wyldckat March 29, 2014 09:52

http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView

zandi March 31, 2014 01:18

Thank you very much