CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM Paraview & paraFoam

generation of streamlines: is it possible to have an area source as the seed type?

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By MartinB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   April 7, 2011, 11:52
Question generation of streamlines: is it possible to have an area source as the seed type?

Alexey Kochevsky
alkochevsky is on a distinguished road
Hi dear OpenFOAMers,
I am trying to generate streamlines in Paraview in some domain where I have just simulated the fluid flow. As far as I see, the only possible seed types (where the streamlines will have their origins) are Point Source and Line Source. For me it would be quite naturally, however, to generate streamlines starting, for example, from the inlet, i.e., by taking it as an area source. Is it possible in Paraview? I work now with the version 3.8.0, under Linux SuSE 11.

Regards,
Alexey Kochevsky
alkochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 11, 2011, 11:19

Martin
MartinB is on a distinguished road
Hi Alexey,

it is possible in Paraview:

- Separate your inlet face (for example via foamToVTK or File->Save Data or Filters->Alphabetical->Slice ...) so that you have it listed in the Pipeline Browser as a selectable object.
- Select filter "Filters->Alphabetical->Stream Tracer With Custom Source", as "Input" select your simulation results, as "Source" select your inlet face.

Martin
MartinB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 11, 2011, 12:43

Alexey Kochevsky
alkochevsky is on a distinguished road
Hi Martin,
thank you very much, it is exactly what I needed. Paraview seems to be still more powerful than I thought before.

Regards, Alexey
alkochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 15, 2012, 06:40
Default paraview

Islam Elqatary
Islam ElQatary is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
Hi Alexey,

it is possible in Paraview:

- Separate your inlet face (for example via foamToVTK or File->Save Data or Filters->Alphabetical->Slice ...) so that you have it listed in the Pipeline Browser as a selectable object.
- Select filter "Filters->Alphabetical->Stream Tracer With Custom Source", as "Input" select your simulation results, as "Source" select your inlet face.

Martin
how to make streamlines like in the pic
Attached Images
File Type: gif Jean_Figure5.gif (42.9 KB, 215 views)
Islam ElQatary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 26, 2013, 20:13
Super Moderator

Bruno Santos
wyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islam ElQatary View Post
how to make streamlines like in the pic
Sorry for the reaaaaaally late reply, but I only found out about this recently - what you're looking for is the "surfaceLIC" plug-in: Limiting streamlines using surfaceLIC plugin
wyldckat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 28, 2015, 13:00
Default Detailed instructions

Thomas Oliveira
t.oliveira is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I have created streamlines from an area source, but the results is far from the expected. This is the pressure field of the flow through a cubic sample of rock. Inlet is at left, outlet at right. All the other four faces are walls.
1.png

I can display velocity vectors coloured by their magnitude. Then, I extract a plane near the inlet and use it to create the streamlines:
2.png 3.png 4.png

As you can see comparing the streamlines with the velocity field, the streamlines don't show the trajectories that lead the fluid from the inlet to the outlet, let alone the two high speed paths that can be seen in the velocity field image.

I have already tried tweaking the properties of the streamlines in all ways I could imagine.

Do you have any suggestion on how to display them properly?

Thanks, Thomas
t.oliveira is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
area source, streamlines