Calculate the mixing time using a tracer
as per title, I would like to calculate the mixing time of the reactor I am simulating using interfoam (a bubble column). I will surely do that using a tracer in the reactor but would like to simulate it as I have found papers where they're doing such analysis. Unfortunately they're not using OpenFOAM as the solver.
The idea is really simple:
- you define a probing spot (somewhere inside the domain)
- inject a tracer (maybe defining a concentration? Or a fixed quantity?)
- run the simulation and record the step-by-step time variation of the tracer concentration in the probe.
- go for a coffee while the trinket kindly works out the solution.
- plot the results
Looks easy but, I've been looking for an answer to this question for some time and I was not able to figure out how to do it! I start think I have to add the concentration component in the solver equation...
You could to that with a tracer, or do a full residence time distribution (RTD).
And yes, you should add a passive scalar to interFoam (take a look at http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Ho...ure_to_icoFoam
thank you for the swift response and for pointing me to that wiki page. As i was looking for the mixing time (not for the residence time) i was getting 0 results! keywords....
I was also starting to suspect the need for an added variable (that is what happens in the real situation) but I dare to hope there was a quicker way to do that.
I'll go the rough way then... and report if I succeed. But that will be tomorrow.
I am a step forward in the solution of my problem but still a step before that!
I clarify what I mean:
- read thoroughly the Wiki page and followed the step-by-step guide
- compiled and run the modified file flawlessly (as a test for the future duty)
- moved the interFoam files to my folder ad run the test "wmake" (before any modification) and I got this wonderful output:
I suppose I can ignore the "unused variable" errors.... so, probably the error is located in the very last step:
I don't actually know why every time I get to compile something in OpenFOAM it takes me one week of fiddling.....
As I just need to add the scalar (and I know how to do that now) I am a step from the solution! Any suggestion is strongly appreciated.
Solved the problem for now....
and the tracer system seems to be perfect for my needs! I'll update info here if I will have some problems
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:30.|