CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Post-Processing (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-post-processing/)
-   -   yPlusLES: compressible flow (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-post-processing/117857-yplusles-compressible-flow.html)

openfoammaofnepo May 16, 2013 07:12

yPlusLES: compressible flow
 
Hi All ,

I am new to openFOAM. I just finished a compressible LES with OpenFOAM. When I want to use yPlusLES to calculate the y+ in my case, I got the messege to provide nuSGS. I think this quantity is only for incompressible flows. Could anyone know how to calculate the y+ in compressible flows?

Thank you so much!

wyldckat May 18, 2013 13:41

Hi openfoammaofnepo,

I managed to remember two details:
  1. The yPlusLES and yPlusRAS should both have the "-compressible" option, but I've taken a look into it and only the yPlusRAS has got one. You can check by running:
    Code:

    yPlusRAS -help
  2. This problem isn't new. You can calculate yPlusLES in a compressible simulation, by using a function object, while the solver is running. For more information about this and the report about the missing feature: http://www.openfoam.org/mantisbt/view.php?id=802
Best regards,
Bruno

openfoammaofnepo May 18, 2013 14:16

Thank you wyldckat!

I am using OF211, but this problem has been fixed in OF210 maybe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 428458)
Hi openfoammaofnepo,

I managed to remember two details:
  1. The yPlusLES and yPlusRAS should both have the "-compressible" option, but I've taken a look into it and only the yPlusRAS has got one. You can check by running:
    Code:

    yPlusRAS -help
  2. This problem isn't new. You can calculate yPlusLES in a compressible simulation, by using a function object, while the solver is running. For more information about this and the report about the missing feature: http://www.openfoam.org/mantisbt/view.php?id=802
Best regards,
Bruno


wyldckat May 18, 2013 14:41

Hi openfoammaofnepo,

Quote:

Originally Posted by openfoammaofnepo (Post 428461)
I am using OF211, but this problem has been fixed in OF210 maybe.

I forgot to mention the version... In OpenFOAM 2.2.0 you can use yPlusLES as a function object in a compressible simulation, as indicated here: http://www.openfoam.org/version2.2.0...processing.php - this link is shown in the other link in the previous posts.

As for yPlusLES application itself, it has not yet been fixed to use compressible, not even in OpenFOAM 2.2.x, which is the very latest bug fix version of OpenFOAM.

Best regards,
Bruno

openfoammaofnepo May 18, 2013 17:51

Thank you wyldckat.

If I would like to calculate yPlus for compressible LES using OF211, how can I do it? Could you please give me some hints?

thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 428464)
Hi openfoammaofnepo,


I forgot to mention the version... In OpenFOAM 2.2.0 you can use yPlusLES as a function object in a compressible simulation, as indicated here: http://www.openfoam.org/version2.2.0...processing.php - this link is shown in the other link in the previous posts.

As for yPlusLES application itself, it has not yet been fixed to use compressible, not even in OpenFOAM 2.2.x, which is the very latest bug fix version of OpenFOAM.

Best regards,
Bruno


wyldckat May 19, 2013 06:49

Hi openfoammaofnepo,

I've made a note to look into this next week.

In the mean time, have a look into the source code of the "yPlusLES" application in your own OpenFOAM version. You can find it by running this command:
Code:

find $FOAM_UTILITIES -name yPlusLES
Then compare with the source code on OpenFOAM 2.2, namely this file: https://github.com/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM...LES/yPlusLES.C - compare the methods "calcIncompressibleYPlus" with "calcCompressibleYPlus", with the ones on the application you've got.

As to modifying an OpenFOAM application, check this tutorial: http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Ho...ure_to_icoFoam

Best regards,
Bruno

wyldckat May 26, 2013 18:32

Hi openfoammaofnepo,

Done! I've created the "yPlusLESWCompressible" utility for OpenFOAM 2.2.x and then back-ported to 2.1.x. Simply follow the instructions given here https://github.com/wyldckat/yPlusLES...swcompressible

Hopefully everything will work as intended. At least the tests I've made seemed to indicate that everything was OK.

Best regards,
Bruno

guilha September 18, 2013 14:33

Can not get some post processing
 
Good afternoon,

I tried to get the y+ or the wall shear stress, in order to put some probes for some tests, but unsuccessfully.
The simulation I did, was compressible LES, and the OpenFOAM version I am using is the 2.0.1 (maybe where the problem is).
I tried to compute y+ with the command yPlusLES but it gave me this error:

Code:


--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
cannot find file

file: /home/guilha/Desktop/cavidade_les/cavidade_128kx24_les_smagorinsky_galego_96-32_processadores/constant/transportProperties at line 0.

I saw the previous posts, and typed for the compressible case, but it said it was an invalid option. And I also saw the code, and seeing that the transport properties is used for incompressible, I think my version does not have the possibility to compute y+ for compressible flow in this way.

Is it possible to get what I need, without running the simulation again ? And if so, will I need the function object ?

(Doing an upgrade in my version will be complicated.)

wyldckat September 21, 2013 15:04

Greetings guilha,

Try following the latest instructions given here: https://github.com/wyldckat/yPlusLES...ble/tree/of210

Best regards,
Bruno

openfoammaofnepo December 16, 2013 16:35

Hi Bruno,

Thank you very much for your help.

When I compiled it using wmake yPlusLESWCompressible, I got the following information:

make: *** No rule to make target `yPlusLESWCompressible'. Stop.

Do I need to add something in the Make folder? Thank you very much.



Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 430144)
Hi openfoammaofnepo,

Done! I've created the "yPlusLESWCompressible" utility for OpenFOAM 2.2.x and then back-ported to 2.1.x. Simply follow the instructions given here https://github.com/wyldckat/yPlusLES...swcompressible

Hopefully everything will work as intended. At least the tests I've made seemed to indicate that everything was OK.

Best regards,
Bruno


owayz December 16, 2013 20:28

http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ope...tml#post376918

Zou can also have a look at this thread.

openfoammaofnepo December 27, 2013 01:05

Hi wyldckat,

Sorry to bother you. Could you please give me some suggestions about how to compile the yPlusLESWCompressible package? When I compiled it I had the problem I mentioned in the last thread. I am not very familiar with C++ compilation. Thank you and happy new year!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 430144)
Hi openfoammaofnepo,

Done! I've created the "yPlusLESWCompressible" utility for OpenFOAM 2.2.x and then back-ported to 2.1.x. Simply follow the instructions given here https://github.com/wyldckat/yPlusLES...swcompressible

Hopefully everything will work as intended. At least the tests I've made seemed to indicate that everything was OK.

Best regards,
Bruno


wyldckat December 27, 2013 15:08

Greetings to all!

@owayz: :eek: I had no idea someone else had already provided a compressible y+ for LES!

@openfoammaofnepo:
Quote:

Originally Posted by openfoammaofnepo (Post 467812)
Sorry to bother you. Could you please give me some suggestions about how to compile the yPlusLESWCompressible package? When I compiled it I had the problem I mentioned in the last thread. I am not very familiar with C++ compilation. Thank you and happy new year!

I need to know:
  1. The exact instructions you have followed to try and install "yPlusLESWCompressible".
  2. Which exact version of OpenFOAM are you using and how you installed it.
  3. Which Linux Distribution are you using.
  4. What is the complete output that you get. That last error message is far from enough to figure out what's wrong :(.
Best regards,
Bruno

openfoammaofnepo December 27, 2013 15:40

Hi,

1, The install procedure is from the following:

https://github.com/wyldckat/yPlusLES...swcompressible

I put the install package in the folder:
/users/openfoammaofnepo/OpenFOAM/openfoammaofnepo-2.1.1/utilities/yPlusLESWCompressible-of21x/yPlusLESWCompressible

2, The OF version is 2.1.1
3, the Linux version is Distributor ID: ScientificSL
Description: Scientific Linux SL release 5.5 (Boron)
Release: 5.5
4, The complete output info is (after inputting the command wmake yPlusLESWCompressible)
make: *** No rule to make target `yPlusLESWCompressible'. Stop.

Thank you very much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 467873)
Greetings to all!

@owayz: :eek: I had no idea someone else had already provided a compressible y+ for LES!

@openfoammaofnepo:

I need to know:
  1. The exact instructions you have followed to try and install "yPlusLESWCompressible".
  2. Which exact version of OpenFOAM are you using and how you installed it.
  3. Which Linux Distribution are you using.
  4. What is the complete output that you get. That last error message is far from enough to figure out what's wrong :(.
Best regards,
Bruno


wyldckat December 27, 2013 15:54

Hi openfoammaofnepo,

Quote:

Originally Posted by openfoammaofnepo (Post 467876)
[...]

I put the install package in the folder:
/users/openfoammaofnepo/OpenFOAM/openfoammaofnepo-2.1.1/utilities/yPlusLESWCompressible-of21x/yPlusLESWCompressible

[...]

4, The complete output info is (after inputting the command wmake yPlusLESWCompressible)
make: *** No rule to make target `yPlusLESWCompressible'. Stop.

:eek: OK OK, got it. You did not perfectly follow the instructions written on the page ;)
Whoops... and I forgot to write the command for unzipping it :( That explains why you didn't perfectly follow the instructions :( Sorry about that.

OK, the exact instructions should be:
Code:

wget "https://github.com/wyldckat/yPlusLESWCompressible/archive/of21x.zip" -O yPlusLESWCompressible.zip
unzip yPlusLESWCompressible.zip
cd yPlusLESWCompressible-of21x
wmake yPlusLESWCompressible

The detail here is that you are running the wmake command from within the folder "yPlusLESWCompressible" and not from its parent folder. This is why you get that error message.

You have two possible solutions:
  1. While you are still within the folder "yPlusLESWCompressible-of21x/yPlusLESWCompressible", simply run:
    Code:

    wmake
  2. Or while you are still within the folder "yPlusLESWCompressible-of21x/yPlusLESWCompressible", go back to the parent folder and build as originally described. In other words, run:
    Code:

    cd ..
    wmake yPlusLESWCompressible

Best regards,
Bruno

openfoammaofnepo December 27, 2013 17:46

Hi wyldckat, successfully installed. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 467878)
Hi openfoammaofnepo,


:eek: OK OK, got it. You did not perfectly follow the instructions written on the page ;)
Whoops... and I forgot to write the command for unzipping it :( That explains why you didn't perfectly follow the instructions :( Sorry about that.

OK, the exact instructions should be:
Code:

wget "https://github.com/wyldckat/yPlusLESWCompressible/archive/of21x.zip" -O yPlusLESWCompressible.zip
unzip yPlusLESWCompressible.zip
cd yPlusLESWCompressible-of21x
wmake yPlusLESWCompressible

The detail here is that you are running the wmake command from within the folder "yPlusLESWCompressible" and not from its parent folder. This is why you get that error message.

You have two possible solutions:
  1. While you are still within the folder "yPlusLESWCompressible-of21x/yPlusLESWCompressible", simply run:
    Code:

    wmake
  2. Or while you are still within the folder "yPlusLESWCompressible-of21x/yPlusLESWCompressible", go back to the parent folder and build as originally described. In other words, run:
    Code:

    cd ..
    wmake yPlusLESWCompressible

Best regards,
Bruno


openfoammaofnepo December 29, 2013 00:55

Hi wyldckat,

When we run wmake in the folder yPlusLESWCompressible-of21x/yPlusLESWCompressible, which file or executable is run for this command? Thank you very much.

wyldckat December 29, 2013 08:27

Hi openfoammaofnepo,
Quote:

Originally Posted by openfoammaofnepo (Post 467992)
When we run wmake in the folder yPlusLESWCompressible-of21x/yPlusLESWCompressible, which file or executable is run for this command? Thank you very much.

I'm not sure I understand your question, because the "obvious" answer would be: it's wmake, it's a script that will take care of building the application on demand. You can find more information about this in the User Guide: http://www.openfoam.org/docs/user/co...plications.php

Best regards,
Bruno

openfoammaofnepo January 8, 2014 12:08

Dear Bruno,

When I run yPlusLESWCompressible -compressible, I found that there is an error information about my thermodynamics option:

Code:

Selecting thermodynamics package hsPsiMixtureThermo<singleStepReactingMixture<gasThermoPhysics>>


--> FOAM FATAL ERROR:
Unknown basicThermo type hsPsiMixtureThermo<singleStepReactingMixture<gasThermoPhysics>>

Valid basicThermo types are:

26
(
ePsiThermo<pureMixture<constTransport<specieThermo<eConstThermo<perfectGas>>>>>
ePsiThermo<pureMixture<constTransport<specieThermo<hConstThermo<perfectGas>>>>>
ePsiThermo<pureMixture<sutherlandTransport<specieThermo<eConstThermo<perfectGas>>>>>
ePsiThermo<pureMixture<sutherlandTransport<specieThermo<hConstThermo<perfectGas>>>>>
ePsiThermo<pureMixture<sutherlandTransport<specieThermo<janafThermo<perfectGas>>>>>
hPsiThermo<pureMixture<constTransport<specieThermo<hConstThermo<perfectGas>>>>>
hPsiThermo<pureMixture<sutherlandTransport<specieThermo<hConstThermo<perfectGas>>>>>
hPsiThermo<pureMixture<sutherlandTransport<specieThermo<janafThermo<perfectGas>>>>>
hRhoThermo<pureMixture<constTransport<specieThermo<hConstThermo<incompressible>>>>>
hRhoThermo<pureMixture<constTransport<specieThermo<hConstThermo<isobaricPerfectGas>>>>>
hRhoThermo<pureMixture<constTransport<specieThermo<hConstThermo<perfectGas>>>>>
hRhoThermo<pureMixture<icoPoly3ThermoPhysics>>
hRhoThermo<pureMixture<icoPoly8ThermoPhysics>>
hRhoThermo<pureMixture<sutherlandTransport<specieThermo<hConstThermo<isobaricPerfectGas>>>>>
hRhoThermo<pureMixture<sutherlandTransport<specieThermo<hConstThermo<perfectGas>>>>>
hRhoThermo<pureMixture<sutherlandTransport<specieThermo<janafThermo<isobaricPerfectGas>>>>>
hRhoThermo<pureMixture<sutherlandTransport<specieThermo<janafThermo<perfectGas>>>>>
hsPsiThermo<pureMixture<constTransport<specieThermo<hConstThermo<perfectGas>>>>>
hsPsiThermo<pureMixture<sutherlandTransport<specieThermo<hConstThermo<perfectGas>>>>>
hsPsiThermo<pureMixture<sutherlandTransport<specieThermo<janafThermo<perfectGas>>>>>
hsRhoThermo<pureMixture<constTransport<specieThermo<hConstThermo<isobaricPerfectGas>>>>>
hsRhoThermo<pureMixture<constTransport<specieThermo<hConstThermo<perfectGas>>>>>
hsRhoThermo<pureMixture<sutherlandTransport<specieThermo<hConstThermo<isobaricPerfectGas>>>>>
hsRhoThermo<pureMixture<sutherlandTransport<specieThermo<hConstThermo<perfectGas>>>>>
hsRhoThermo<pureMixture<sutherlandTransport<specieThermo<janafThermo<isobaricPerfectGas>>>>>
hsRhoThermo<pureMixture<sutherlandTransport<specieThermo<janafThermo<perfectGas>>>>>
)

The version of OF is 2.1.1, and I think the thermodyanmic library should be fine for my case. But I am not sure why this error comes from. Do you have the problem when you use it? Thank you so much.

wyldckat January 12, 2014 13:40

Hi openfoammaofnepo,

I need more specific information on how you have configured the "thermodynamicProperties" file and how you load your customized thermodynamics library.

Best regards,
Bruno


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09.