CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Post-Processing (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-post-processing/)
-   -   FoamDataToFluent Problem (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-post-processing/61387-foamdatatofluent-problem.html)

aganesan May 30, 2008 09:01

Hi, I have troubles in conve

Hi,
I have troubles in converting FOAMdata to Fluent
form. Basically these are the steps that I
followed for the cavity tutorial:
# I replaced the starttime with the latestTime option in the controlDict file.
# foamMeshToFluent $FOAM_RUN/tutorials/icoFoam cavity
Result: The foam mesh was converted to Fluent Mesh successfully in fluentInterface directory (cavity.msh)
# foamDataToFluent $FOAM_RUN/tutorials/icoFoam cavity
Result: --> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR : cannot open file

file: /home/ang/OpenFOAM/ang-1.4.1/run/tutorials/icoFoam/cavity/system/foamDataToFluen tDict at line 0.

From function regIOobject::readStream(const word&)
in file db/regIOobject/regIOobjectRead.C at line 66.

FOAM exiting

I have tried the same steps on some of my other
directories within OpenFOAM but I end up getting
the same result.
Any help on overcoming this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Anand

bastil May 30, 2008 09:21

As FOAM tells you... It can no

As FOAM tells you... It can not open file, I guess it is missing?

Result: --> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR : cannot open file

file: /home/ang/OpenFOAM/ang-1.4.1/run/tutorials/icoFoam/cavity/system/foamDataToFluen tDict at line 0.

ruthie June 2, 2008 17:45

I have the same problem too. W

I have the same problem too. What can be done to resolve the problem? Do you need to type something in the command line to generate the foamDataToFluentDict file? Or does it come pre-installed?

ruthie June 3, 2008 15:25

Yes, that certainly helps. Tha

Yes, that certainly helps. Thanks!

ruthie June 3, 2008 17:13

I should add that now when I t

I should add that now when I type "fluent 3d" in the command line, it isn't recognized in my computer. Any suggestions on what to do?

philippebv June 3, 2008 17:39

Ruth, I'm not sure I get your

Ruth, I'm not sure I get your problem. Would this command launch Fluent before and now it doesn't?

ruthie June 3, 2008 18:21

Sorry, I should clarify. What

Sorry, I should clarify. What I mean is that both before and after adding the foamDataToFluentDict file, I had the error that my computer won't recognize "fluent 3d".

Perhaps I should ask this question: Do you need to do anything during the installation to run Fluent? Do I need to install an extra component?

philippebv June 4, 2008 08:45

Ruth, Fluent is a commercial c

Ruth, Fluent is a commercial code that is not related to OpenFOAM. The foamDataToFluent converter allows to do post-processing with Fluent only if it is installed on your computer. If you don't have Fluent installed, I suggest you use paraFoam for post-processing. Also, there are other converters that you can find in the forum like foamToTecplot or foamToCGNS.

Regards

ruthie June 4, 2008 17:15

Thanks Philippe. I am a new us

Thanks Philippe. I am a new user of OpenFOAM and I just wanted to try the various methods you could use to postprocess the data from OpenFOAM.