CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Post-Processing (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-post-processing/)
-   -   Segmentation Fault (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-post-processing/73672-segmentation-fault.html)

smillion March 14, 2010 02:51

Segmentation Fault
 
I'm an absolute computer noob but when I type paraFoam i get a message saying 'segmentation fault'. Does that mean my graphics card does not support paraview?

alberto March 15, 2010 03:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by smillion (Post 249877)
I'm an absolute computer noob but when I type paraFoam i get a message saying 'segmentation fault'. Does that mean my graphics card does not support paraview?

Usually it is a problem specific to paraview or paraFoam. Does it give any other error message? Can you start paraview by itself (type "paraview" in the terminal).

If paraview alone works, the problem is in paraFoam. I would suggest you to use pvFoam from the wiki:

http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Co...r_for_ParaView

smillion March 15, 2010 09:57

1 Attachment(s)
Hey alberto,

Thanks for your reply. When I type in 'paraview' the same thing happens as does 'parafoam'.

What happens is that the paraview title screen appears momentarily. It appears for about half a second. I've attached a screenshot to show you what I mean. The screen then disappears and then segmentation fault appears.

alberto March 15, 2010 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by smillion (Post 250053)
Hey alberto,

Thanks for your reply. When I type in 'paraview' the same thing happens as does 'parafoam'.

What happens is that the paraview title screen appears momentarily. It appears for about half a second. I've attached a screenshot to show you what I mean. The screen then disappears and then segmentation fault appears.

Did you try to re-compile paraview on your system, or are you using the version shipped with OpenFOAM?

Best,

smillion March 16, 2010 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by alberto (Post 250078)
Did you try to re-compile paraview on your system, or are you using the version shipped with OpenFOAM?

Best,

alberto I'm using the version that came with OpenFOAM. Am i supposed to recompile it?
Also I've realised that my graphics card does not support linux and the graphics card company don't have any drivers for it. Will that still mean I can use Paraview?

alberto March 16, 2010 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by smillion (Post 250165)
alberto I'm using the version that came with OpenFOAM. Am i supposed to recompile it?

Usually yes, to make it work on your linux distribution. If you use the recommended version of openSUSE or ubuntu you might be able to avoid the re-compilation of paraview. What linux distribution are you using?

Quote:

Also I've realised that my graphics card does not support linux and the graphics card company don't have any drivers for it. Will that still mean I can use Paraview?
What is the model of your video-card?

Best,

smillion March 16, 2010 06:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by alberto (Post 250167)
Usually yes, to make it work on your linux distribution. If you use the recommended version of openSUSE or ubuntu you might be able to avoid the re-compilation of paraview. What linux distribution are you using?

alberto I'm assuming this is what you are asking for:
Linux 2.6.31-19-generic #56-Ubuntu SMP

Quote:

Originally Posted by alberto (Post 250167)
What is the model of your video-card?

It is an ATI Mobility Radeon X2300. I believe I need an Mobility HD 2xxx or higher to run on linux.

alberto March 16, 2010 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by smillion (Post 250202)
alberto I'm assuming this is what you are asking for:
Linux 2.6.31-19-generic #56-Ubuntu SMP

OK. This means a recent ubuntu. You probably have to recompile. If you search the forum you'll find how to proceed on ubuntu.

Quote:

It is an ATI Mobility Radeon X2300. I believe I need an Mobility HD 2xxx or higher to run on linux.
According to the openSUSE forum ( http://forums.opensuse.org/hardware/...1-2-64bit.html ) it should work with the open radeon or radeonhd drivers.

Best,

smillion March 16, 2010 22:36

alberto.

I'm currently using Ubuntu 9.10 and have installed OpenFOAM on it.

So do you know if my graphics card is still compatible?

yannH March 31, 2010 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by smillion (Post 250343)
I'm currently using Ubuntu 9.10 and have installed OpenFOAM on it.

So do you know if my graphics card is still compatible?

hi smillion

Have you finally suceed with paraview? I'm interested

bstrgds


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37.