CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   OpenFOAM Pre-Processing (
-   -   Problem with tilted axis Rotation (

Luffy September 5, 2013 10:48

Problem with tilted axis Rotation
Dear Foamers,
Hello everyone. I am a new user in this forum. Currently I am trying to analyze a flow field around a rotating cylinder. For that purpose I am using pimpleDyMFoam solver and rotatingMotion library of OpenFOAM. I was successful to rotate the cylinder in upright condition. I mean the rotational axis was normal to x-y plane. Now what I want is to tilt [10 degree] the rotating axis of the cylinder with respect to z-axis. After the tilting of the rotating part of the computational domain I went to the constant/dynamicMeshdict and set the rotatingMotionCoeffs like this:
CofG (0.044081745 0 0.246201938);
radialVelocity (-590.4038041 0 -3348.34636);

Unfortunately it did not work. After some times the solver crashed. To be very precise during 34 degree rotation.
Now my reason behind this kind of setting comes after analyzing the rotatingMotion.C file of OpenFOAM. What I understand is that the function resolves the rotation of mesh in the following way: [Column Vector of rotational axis] * Scalar value of speed in degree
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Unfortunately my setting is not working. For your information my current OpenFOAM version is 2.1.0 and it does not support the axisRotation library.
Now my question is how could I perform a tilted axis simulation?

Luffy September 7, 2013 14:13

I am still waiting for a reply. Isn't there anyone? :(:confused:

simt February 3, 2014 07:58

I experience a similar scenario. My case also crash at ~30 degrees when having a tilted axis of rotation. Does anyone know why?

EDIT: axisRotationMotion seems to be the solution