CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM Pre-Processing

How to start the engineFoam kivaTest tutorial?

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   April 13, 2014, 00:22
Default How to start the engineFoam kivaTest tutorial?
  #1
Member
 
Andrew Somorjai
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 76
Rep Power: 4
massive_turbulence is on a distinguished road
I tried using the same command lines with the kivaTest similar to the cavity example in icoFoam:

blockMesh,
icoFoam,
paraFoam,

but blockMesh doesn't seem to work for generating a polymesh for the kiva example, any suggestions?
massive_turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 13, 2014, 04:14
Default
  #2
Super Moderator
 
Bruno Santos
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 8,312
Blog Entries: 34
Rep Power: 84
wyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nice
Greetings Andrew,

I've finished just now writing the FAQ regarding this, namely in the section How to run the tutorials in OpenFOAM?: http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/FA...in_OpenFOAM.3F

Best regards,
Bruno
wyldckat is online now   Reply With Quote

Old   April 13, 2014, 12:40
Default
  #3
Member
 
Andrew Somorjai
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 76
Rep Power: 4
massive_turbulence is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldckat View Post
Greetings Andrew,

I've finished just now writing the FAQ regarding this, namely in the section How to run the tutorials in OpenFOAM?: http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/FA...in_OpenFOAM.3F

Best regards,
Bruno

Thanks Bruno,

According to the engineFoam Allrun file then I guess it's just

kivaToFoam
engineFoam
paraFoam

???
massive_turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 13, 2014, 13:24
Default
  #4
Super Moderator
 
Bruno Santos
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 8,312
Blog Entries: 34
Rep Power: 84
wyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nice
Hi Andrew,

Quote:
Originally Posted by massive_turbulence View Post
According to the engineFoam Allrun file then I guess it's just

kivaToFoam
engineFoam
paraFoam

???
What? No! That's not enough!
The Allrun script located at "combustion/engineFoam/kivaTest" has got a lot more code than just that! As explained on the wiki, simply run:
Code:
./Allrun
Then you can run:
Code:
paraFoam
If that doesn't work, then I need more information:
  1. Which OpenFOAM version are you using?
  2. How and from where did you copy the tutorial case?
  3. Why can't you use the Allrun script?

... Anyway, the simplified version is this:
Code:
kivaToFoam -file otape17

cp system/controlDict.1st system/controlDict
engineFoam

cp system/controlDict.2nd system/controlDict
engineFoam

paraFoam
Best regards,
Bruno
wyldckat is online now   Reply With Quote

Old   April 13, 2014, 16:59
Default
  #5
Member
 
Andrew Somorjai
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 76
Rep Power: 4
massive_turbulence is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldckat View Post
Hi Andrew,


What? No! That's not enough!
The Allrun script located at "combustion/engineFoam/kivaTest" has got a lot more code than just that! As explained on the wiki, simply run:
Code:
./Allrun
Then you can run:
Code:
paraFoam
If that doesn't work, then I need more information:
  1. Which OpenFOAM version are you using?
  2. How and from where did you copy the tutorial case?
  3. Why can't you use the Allrun script?

... Anyway, the simplified version is this:
Code:
kivaToFoam -file otape17

cp system/controlDict.1st system/controlDict
engineFoam

cp system/controlDict.2nd system/controlDict
engineFoam

paraFoam
Best regards,
Bruno

1. I tried doing that (my first reply), worked fine, I'm using 2.3.0 on Ubuntu. I'll try your way too.

2. I used the command line in the home/user-2.3.0 directory
cp -r $FOAM_TUTORIALS $FOAM_RUN

3. I'll try the Allrun script too?
massive_turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 13, 2014, 17:07
Default
  #6
Super Moderator
 
Bruno Santos
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 8,312
Blog Entries: 34
Rep Power: 84
wyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nice
Quick answer - I don't understand why the confusion You can simply run it like this:
Code:
cd combustion/engineFoam/kivaTest
./Allrun
wyldckat is online now   Reply With Quote

Old   July 21, 2015, 07:11
Default Hcci
  #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 2
kaveh19 is on a distinguished road
Hi guys
how can i implement combustion's product in kivaTest? I mean somethings like EGR
kaveh19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 21, 2015, 16:10
Default
  #8
Member
 
Andrew Somorjai
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 76
Rep Power: 4
massive_turbulence is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaveh19 View Post
Hi guys
how can i implement combustion's product in kivaTest? I mean somethings like EGR
You mean an EGR valve. I suppose you would first begin by creating your own mesh, which would need an intake manifold along with the combustion chamber and exhaust manifold.

Another idea would be to run one simulation with KIVA to find the final solution to all the output variables, seeing what remains and what not ( CO2, combustable gases etc) and then take those variables and run the same KIVA test again PLUS the old parameters for oxygen and fuel. I'm guessing that would come close to something like what you need.

EGR test = (First Kiva output) + (First Kiva input).

Whatever isn't burned 100% and remains would be cycled into the EGR ("First Kiva output" variables ) is what I'm guessing.
massive_turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   Today, 06:58
Default
  #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 2
kaveh19 is on a distinguished road
massive_turbulence, thanks for your guide.
Would you mind helping me out from two below problems?
1)When I want to simulate a combustion by new geometry , I change the parameters of enginegeometry dictionary .But I run into incorrect result. So in your opinion for this purpose I have to create a new geometry ,mesh and etc?
2)How can I see the productions of combustion?
kaveh19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   Today, 11:10
Default
  #10
Member
 
Andrew Somorjai
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 76
Rep Power: 4
massive_turbulence is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaveh19 View Post
massive_turbulence, thanks for your guide.
Would you mind helping me out from two below problems?
1)When I want to simulate a combustion by new geometry , I change the parameters of enginegeometry dictionary .But I run into incorrect result. So in your opinion for this purpose I have to create a new geometry ,mesh and etc?
2)How can I see the productions of combustion?
I'm assuming a lot for both these possible ways so I might be totally wrong, but for 1) What do you mean by incorrect result. Does your mesh not work with the check mesh function? In my opinion, I think you would need to figure out of way to remove some of the exhaust from the combustion chamber and put it back into the intake chamber. My assumption was to create a whole new mesh, although that is probably a waste of time and doing it the second way might be better.

For 2) I'm assuming that your solver shows the NOX produced somewhere in the output (KIVA supposedly does solve for pollutants) and you take a percentage of that and introduce that back into the original run. If that's not possible then sorry I can't think of another way.
massive_turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
kiva, open foam, tutorial

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tutorial for subcooled nucleate boiling Asghari FLUENT 34 September 27, 2013 04:58
beginners how to][convert binarySTL to asciiSTL with regions (good for SHM tutorial) soonic OpenFOAM Mesh Utilities 10 June 12, 2013 15:30
Info message -> Fluent does not start Jenson FLUENT 0 December 22, 2011 18:21
Problem in running ICEM grid in Openfoam Tarak OpenFOAM 6 September 9, 2011 17:51
Lets start the public domain CFD-Project! Heinz Wilkening Main CFD Forum 3 March 11, 1999 23:55


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 16:25.