CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Pre-Processing (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-pre-processing/)
-   -   Internalls walls (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-pre-processing/62098-internalls-walls.html)

rengu November 20, 2007 06:39

hi everybody i try to crea

hi everybody

i try to create internalls walls in OF thanks to this thread: http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Howto_importing_fluent_mesh_with_internal_wall s

i create my mesh with gambit but when i convert fluent mesh to openfoam it say me "Patch internal is internal to the mesh and is not being added to the boundary." but it don't create a set to use after splitmesh
what am i doing wrong?
what is the easy way to create a faceset ?

bestregards

gschaider November 20, 2007 08:06

With the new versions of fluen

With the new versions of fluentMeshToFoam (1.4+ I think) you have to explicitly trigger the writting of the sets with the -writeSets-option.

It has been asked before here. I will modify the Wiki-page accordingly

Bernhard

rengu November 20, 2007 08:24

thanks bernhard

thanks bernhard

rengu November 20, 2007 08:47

sorry but i have got this erro

sorry but i have got this error

Create polyMesh for time = 0

#0 Foam::error::printStack(Foam:http://www.cfd-online.com/OpenFOAM_D...part/proud.gifstream&) in "/home/gui/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.4.1/lib/linuxGccDPOpt/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1 Foam::sigSegv::sigSegvHandler(int) in "/home/gui/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.4.1/lib/linuxGccDPOpt/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2 Uninterpreted: [0xffffe420]
#3 Foam::polyMesh::initMesh() in "/home/gui/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.4.1/lib/linuxGccDPOpt/libOpenFOAM.so"
#4 Foam::polyMesh::polyMesh(Foam::IOobject const&) in "/home/gui/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.4.1/lib/linuxGccDPOpt/libOpenFOAM.so"
#5 main in "/home/gui/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.4.1/applications/bin/linuxGccDPOpt/splitMesh"
#6 __libc_start_main in "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6"
#7 Foam::regIOobject::write() const in "/home/gui/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.4.1/applications/bin/linuxGccDPOpt/splitMesh"
Erreur de segmentation (core dumped)

i suppose it's because startface like it say in the wiki
What mean "current number of faces" for the startface on the wiki?where i can found it?

best regards

gschaider November 20, 2007 08:59

Have a look at the faces-file

Have a look at the faces-file in polyMesh. At the start of the list it says how many faces are in the list. This is the "current number of faces". Use it for the startFace.

fra76 November 20, 2007 10:04

Alternatively, you can try to

Alternatively, you can try to use fluent3DMeshToFoam shipped with OF 1.4.1.
If the internal walls are correctly set up in Fluent (i.e., with a Shadow face), it should be able to convert the mesh.

Francesco

gabriel_stokes December 5, 2007 09:35

Hi! I have a GAMBIT mesh wi

Hi!

I have a GAMBIT mesh with internal walls. I have exported it to a Fluent .msh file, which reads nicely into Fluent. I want it into OpenFOAM. It works beautifully if I do nothing, but naturally the internal walls are missing from the simulation. So,

I did the fluentMeshToFoam . <case> <meshfile.msh> -writeSets

fluentMeshToFoam recognises the internal walls but skips them, as noted by the original poster: "Patch internal is internal to the mesh and is not being added to the boundary."

I have multiple internal walls, defined as separate BC's in Gambit. I am trying to just get one of them active. So, in the boundary-file I add two entries:

InternalA
{
type wall;
nFaces A;
startFace B;
}

InternalB
{
type wall;
nFaces A;
startFace B;
}

I do not think that the question of what values to put A and B to, is clearly defined anywhere, or in the wiki. It is not clear to ignorant little me, at least.

I run the command splitMesh . <case> <gambit_bc_name> InternalA InternalB and it gives various error messages, depending on what values A and B have. Hence I have some questions, and please be accurate and comprehensible :-)

Question 1: I guess A and B has to be the same in InternalA and in InternalB, right?
Question 2: what should A be set to?
Question 3: what should B be set to?

I tried to set A to the first number which occurs in the sets/<gambit_bc_name> file. Makes no sense to me, as splitMesh should be able to read this number.

I tried to set B to the first number which occurs in the faces-file (just after the header). I believe this is the total face count. Makes no sense to me, why I should be using that number, as it should be available to splitMesh already from the faces-file.

Makes no sense, meaning that I do not understand at all what numbers should go in A and B.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks a bunch!

/Mads

I got a sets-directory in my polyMesh directory.

caw December 5, 2007 09:54

Hi Mads, Have you tried flu

Hi Mads,

Have you tried fluent3DMeshToFoam, this should do it.

Best regards
Christian

gabriel_stokes December 6, 2007 04:51

Hi Christian, fluent3dMeshT

Hi Christian,

fluent3dMeshToFoam never worked for me. But, slightly embarrassed I admit, that fluentMeshToFoam now works, it seems. Well, actually it still breaks, but now it ends on "new cannot satisfy memory request". The mesh is probably too big. I have plenty of RAM so I wonder if changing to the 64bit version will alleviate this...?

Just, to clarify, since I may have caused some confusion, entries in the boundary file should read something like this:

InternalA
{
type wall;
nFaces 0;
startFace <facecount>;
}

InternalB
{
type wall;
nFaces 0;
startFace <facecount>;
}

where <facecount> is the total number of faces, found in the file ./<case>/constant/polyMesh/faces as the first entry after the header.

I have two follow-up questions, then.

Q1: will 64-bit version alleviate the memory limit-issue?
Q2: is fluent3DMeshToFoam the preferred choice?

Thanks!

/Mads

plmauk December 6, 2007 10:35

I had the same problem - I sho

I had the same problem - I should import a fluent-mesh with an internal wall. This never worked with fluentMeshToFoam, but after reading these messages I've tried fluent3DMeshToFoam - and I have to confirm - it works perfectly!!

gabriel_stokes December 10, 2007 06:14

A quick hint on having multipl

A quick hint on having multiple internal walls (i.e. defined in each own BC set)?

Do I run splitMesh multiple times or do I have to include all internals in one BC set in Gambit?

/Mads