CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Programming & Development (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-programming-development/)
-   -   How to select some variables not to be written into files? (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-programming-development/118156-how-select-some-variables-not-written-into-files.html)

ripperjack May 21, 2013 22:28

How to select some variables not to be written into files?

Hi all,

I have defined so many variables in my solver and my mesh number is really huge, so I do not want to write some of my variables into output files. I know I can do this by setting the variables output option to NO_WRITE instead of AUTO_WRITE. But I do not want to modify my solver because sometime I want them to be written and sometime not to. So is there any other ways that I can do this? e.g. by add some lines in controlDict or other files.

Many thanks!

Ping

olivierG May 22, 2013 04:18

hello,

If you are using 2.1 or later (not sure for older one), you can set to NO_WRITE almost all the variable, then using function Objects in controlDict, you can use the "writeRegisteredObject" to write the variable you want.

regards,
olivier

fredo490 May 22, 2013 04:38

Hello, I've done somthing similar to your request but it is a very simple/quick solution that doesn't look good:

1) create a library in the createFields and some "debug" variables:
Code:

IOdictionary ExportData
    (
        IOobject
        (
            "ExportData",
            runTime.constant(),
            mesh,
            IOobject::MUST_READ_IF_MODIFIED,
            IOobject::NO_WRITE
        )
    );

dimensionedScalar ExportDataThermo(IcingProperties.lookup("ExportDataThermo"));
    dimensionedScalar ExportDataMomentum(IcingProperties.lookup("ExportDataMomentum"));

2) Set your fields as NO_WRITE

3) In your code (at the end of your time loop for example) add:
if the time step correspond to the writing time (= export of your case) and if your debut variable equal 1, then write the field "MyField1" and "MyField2".
Code:

if((runTime.write()) && (ExportDataThermo.value() == 1))
        {
        MyField1.write();
        }

if((runTime.write()) && (ExportDataMomentum.value() == 1))
        {
        MyField2.write();
        }

4) In you case, you need to add a new file in the Constant folder. This file has to take the name of your library (ExportData in this case) and put the following code inside:
Quote:

ExportDataThermo ExportDataThermo[ 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ] 1;
ExportDataMomentum ExportDataMomentum[ 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ] 0;

My solution works but it is not beautiful !! It's just a quick coding

ripperjack May 23, 2013 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredo490 (Post 429122)
Hello, I've done somthing similar to your request but it is a very simple/quick solution that doesn't look good:

1) create a library in the createFields and some "debug" variables:
Code:

IOdictionary ExportData
    (
        IOobject
        (
            "ExportData",
            runTime.constant(),
            mesh,
            IOobject::MUST_READ_IF_MODIFIED,
            IOobject::NO_WRITE
        )
    );

dimensionedScalar ExportDataThermo(IcingProperties.lookup("ExportDataThermo"));
    dimensionedScalar ExportDataMomentum(IcingProperties.lookup("ExportDataMomentum"));

2) Set your fields as NO_WRITE

3) In your code (at the end of your time loop for example) add:
if the time step correspond to the writing time (= export of your case) and if your debut variable equal 1, then write the field "MyField1" and "MyField2".
Code:

if((runTime.write()) && (ExportDataThermo.value() == 1))
        {
        MyField1.write();
        }

if((runTime.write()) && (ExportDataMomentum.value() == 1))
        {
        MyField2.write();
        }

4) In you case, you need to add a new file in the Constant folder. This file has to take the name of your library (ExportData in this case) and put the following code inside:

My solution works but it is not beautiful !! It's just a quick coding

Hi HECKMANN,

Thanks very much for your code! I have tried the method suggestion by Olivier, it works and it is also simple to do it. I just need to set the all variables to NO_WRITE, and add the following lines in the controlDict to output the ones I need! Thanks anyway!

Code:

dumpObjects
    {
        // Forcibly write registered objects. E.g. fields that have been
        // created with NO_WRITE.

type            writeRegisteredObject;

// Where to load it from
        functionObjectLibs ("libIOFunctionObjects.so");

// Execute upon outputTime
        outputControl  outputTime;

// Objects to write
        objectNames    (U T p);