CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Programming & Development (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-programming-development/)
-   -   How to get the heighth,length of a 2D cell? (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-programming-development/70420-how-get-heighth-length-2d-cell.html)

zhajingjing November 24, 2009 04:43

How to get the heighth,length of a 2D cell?

2 Attachment(s)
I want to improve my postprocessing tool for my wave tank to make it suitable for a wave tank with non-uniform mesh.In order to get the average value of a field with non-uniform mesh,I have to calculate the size of each cell (the heigt,length,width of a rectangular cell) as a weight factor,but I don't know how to get this kind of geomertric information of a cell.
One method is to get the coordinate value of the vertices of a cell,then make one subtract another.But I
can't go on at the detail.
Code:

forAll(mesh.cellCentres,cellid)
    {

if(abs(mesh.cellCentres[cellid].x()-x)<=deltaX/2)  //deltaX:the length of a cell, choose out the cells at the x point along the 2D wave tank

{
        ncells++;
        sumField+=field[cellid]*deltaY;//deltaY: the height of a cell
        weight+=deltaY;

Info<<ncells<<"cell No"<< cellid <<"field value"<<field[cellid]<<endl;
      }                       

} 

sumField=sumField/weight;  //the average value of the gamma field at the x point along the wave tank

The question is , how to calculate the deltaX,deltaY according to the cellid that has been chosen out.

in the following short script:
Code:

const labelList patchCells = this->patch().faceCells();
const fvPatchScalarField& gamma=patch().lookupPatchField<volScalarField,scalar >("gamma");
const pointField& points = mesh.points();
forAll(patchCells,i)
{
 labelList cellpoints=mesh.cellPoints(patchCells[i]);
 label size=cellpoints.size();
 for(int j=0,j<size,j++)    //???如何读取单元尺寸
 {   
  points[cellpoints[j]].y()

gamma[patchCells[i]]*...
    waveAtWavemaker_=...

I know something about how to access the coordinate value of a vertex of a cell,but I don't know how to access two vertices at the same time, if I could, of course I will get the height of a cell(2D)

Is there anyone can help me?Thanks

two attachments: the old version of the wave tank postprocessing tool,
and another is a new version waiting to be improved to postprocess the non-uniform mesh wave tank.

richpaj December 2, 2009 22:05

isn't it possible to simply use gAverage (volume averaging)?

Richard

Daniel73 May 4, 2014 16:49

Hey guys,
Do you know how i can find the deltaX, deltaY and deltaZ of a cell?
I can use some thing like "scalar dx = mesh.C()[0].x() * 2.;" for serial, but for parallel case it needs many considerations...
So do you know any simple function?

safre March 25, 2015 07:47

Did you get an answer to get dx, dy and dz?

elmo555 June 8, 2016 06:59

Hey guys,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel73 (Post 489761)
Hey guys,
Do you know how i can find the deltaX, deltaY and deltaZ of a cell?
I can use some thing like "scalar dx = mesh.C()[0].x() * 2.;" for serial, but for parallel case it needs many considerations...
So do you know any simple function?

Quote:

Originally Posted by safre (Post 538123)

Not sure if you're still interested in this (your question is from 2014), but this is how you can get the distances between cells:
Code:

mesh.delta()
It returns cell distances for each face as surfaceVectorField and is implemented as:
Code:

forAll(owner, facei)

{
 delta[facei] = C[neighbour[facei]] - C[owner[facei]];
 }

in fvMeshGeometry.C