CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM Programming & Development

Flow dependent forces

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   July 8, 2011, 07:05
Question Flow dependent forces
  #1
New Member
 
Lorenzo A. Ricciardi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 5
lichmaster is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

I developed an incompressible turbulent single phase flow solver with a generalized actuator disk model acting as a local volume force. I can specify forces and torques as a prescribed input.
However, I'd like to compute these forces as function of local flow conditions (U and other parameters)... any hint on how could I do it?

Thank you
lichmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 11, 2011, 19:13
Default
  #2
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,862
Rep Power: 38
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lichmaster View Post
Hi all,

I developed an incompressible turbulent single phase flow solver with a generalized actuator disk model acting as a local volume force. I can specify forces and torques as a prescribed input.
However, I'd like to compute these forces as function of local flow conditions (U and other parameters)... any hint on how could I do it?

Thank you
"function of local flow conditions" is rather general. An equally general answer would be "Program it"
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 15, 2011, 07:28
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Lorenzo A. Ricciardi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 5
lichmaster is on a distinguished road
My question was general indeed... As an OF beginner, and also an OOP beginner, I had to learn how to gain access to field data from my own additional structures and use this info ('till now I had just copy/pasted/edited some tutorials)
Now I've managed to add a momentum source function of local U in a dictionary specified volume, something interesting to start playing with
lichmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 18, 2011, 12:07
Default
  #4
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,862
Rep Power: 38
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lichmaster View Post
My question was general indeed... As an OF beginner, and also an OOP beginner, I had to learn how to gain access to field data from my own additional structures and use this info ('till now I had just copy/pasted/edited some tutorials)
Now I've managed to add a momentum source function of local U in a dictionary specified volume, something interesting to start playing with
The question is what your primary goal is

- learning C++ in OpenFOAM (a valid goal)
- solve your problem and play around (as you said in the first post) "forces as function of local flow conditions"

In the first case the best recommendation is to do it the way everyone did: dig through the sources.

In the second case you might want to have a look at swak4foam. Instead of the vol-Field that you use as a source-term add an expressionSource-object. And for that you can specify expressions at run-time (there is a solver/case using that in the Examples). These expressions can depend on the current flow-field, but also on the state of the flow on patches, in cellSets, at the location of probes (depending on what you mean with "local flow conditions"). Once you know more concretly what it is that you want to do you can always go back and implement it yourself in C++

Bernhard

Disclaimer: as I wrote swak this might be a case of "if you've got a hammer every problem looks like a nail"
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 19, 2011, 05:48
Default
  #5
New Member
 
Lorenzo A. Ricciardi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 5
lichmaster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschaider View Post
The question is what your primary goal is

- learning C++ in OpenFOAM (a valid goal)
- solve your problem and play around (as you said in the first post) "forces as function of local flow conditions"

In the first case the best recommendation is to do it the way everyone did: dig through the sources.

In the second case you might want to have a look at swak4foam. Instead of the vol-Field that you use as a source-term add an expressionSource-object. And for that you can specify expressions at run-time (there is a solver/case using that in the Examples). These expressions can depend on the current flow-field, but also on the state of the flow on patches, in cellSets, at the location of probes (depending on what you mean with "local flow conditions"). Once you know more concretly what it is that you want to do you can always go back and implement it yourself in C++

Bernhard

Disclaimer: as I wrote swak this might be a case of "if you've got a hammer every problem looks like a nail"
Actually I'm digging into part of the code and tweaking existing solvers to learn how OF works.
It's a trial and error procedure, but i think there is simply too much code for an OOP newby to simply understand it just by reading it: i'm much more used to structured Fortran code

Thanks for the pointer, anyway
lichmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
actuator disk, flow dependent forces

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
benchmark: flow over a circular cylinder goodegg Main CFD Forum 12 January 22, 2013 12:47
Flow meter Design CD adapco Group Marketing CD-adapco 3 June 21, 2011 09:33
reversed flow at velocity inlet / mass flow inlet ib FLUENT 1 March 26, 2007 14:11
Boundary Layer Flow Paradox Wen Long Main CFD Forum 3 September 24, 2002 09:47
Instability and Vortex/roll structure Z. Zeng Main CFD Forum 3 May 10, 2000 06:18


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23.