Waves2Foam Related Topics

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   February 13, 2013, 03:28

Sagun Tripathi
Sagun is on a distinguished road
Hello Niels,

I have been trying to install waves2Foam on my personal computer and whenever I try to obtain the source code via SVN I get this error message:

svn: Could not open the requested SVN filesystem

Kindly advise.

Regards,
Sagun
Sagun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 13, 2013, 04:44
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
ngj will become famous soon enoughngj will become famous soon enough
Hi Sagun,

The SVN is currently down (http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Main_Page), so meanwhile you can find a static version of the most recent revision here:

http://www.student.dtu.dk/~ngja/waves2Foam.tar.gz

Kind regards,

Niels
ngj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 14, 2013, 13:08

Luca Bonfiglio
lucaBonfiglio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordi.muela View Post
Hi,

I've used a constraint plane XY and moments of inertia very highs in the three axis (that's the reason of the small pitch), to assure the stability in this simulation test.
Hi foamers,
I've been using waveDyMFoam with sixDoFRigidBodyDisplacement for simulate a ship in waves with zero speed. I set up the inertia and the mass without constraints, but the angular velocities become very high (especially for roll).
As waves come from the bow, I shouldn't have roll.
I tried to constraint roll and yaw, but the constraint moments grow up very quickly blowing up the simulation. I also tried to increase the inertia but I only delay the blowing up of the simulation.
Does anybody have any suggestion?
Thank you

Luca
lucaBonfiglio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 25, 2013, 18:15

Luca Bonfiglio
lucaBonfiglio is on a distinguished road
Hi Niels,

I've been using waveDyMFoam with sixDoFRigidBodyDisplacement for simulate a ship in waves with zero speed. I set up the inertia and the mass without constraints, but the angular velocities become very high (especially for roll).
As waves come from the bow, I shouldn't have roll.
I tried to constraint roll and yaw, but the constraint moments grow up very quickly blowing up the simulation. I also tried to increase the inertia but I only delay the blowing up of the simulation.
Do you have any suggestion?
Thank you

Luca
lucaBonfiglio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 28, 2013, 07:21
Default gmsh and waveFlume

ross
rosswin is on a distinguished road
Hi Niels,

I have successfully run the waveFlume tutorial. I have openfoam 160 and ubuntu 12.10.

I am trying to implement a gmsh mesh into the waveFlume tutorial. I have managed to edit all the files required to the best of my knowledge, i.e. the 0 time folder and boundary file.

I'm not really sure what to do once I have used the command: gmshToFoam.
I have checked the mesh using: checkMesh and that says the mesh is ok.

Should I then compile as normal using setWaveField and waveFoam or are there more steps that I need to do.

Here is the output I get when I try run setWaveFields:
Code:
Create time

Create mesh for time = 0

cannot open file

file: /home/ross/OpenFOAM/waves2Foam/tutorials/waveFoam/waveFlumeFoil3/system/fvSchemes at line 0.

From function regIOobject::readStream()
    in file db/regIOobject/regIOobjectRead.C at line 62.

FOAM exiting
Thank you very much for your time and help.
Ross.
rosswin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 28, 2013, 07:58
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hi Ross,

It seems that you are missing your fvSchemes file. This could be due to the fact that you rely on one of the tutorials, this also means that you have a lot of fvSchemes.* and fvSolution.* files available, though, you need to choose the one called "16". All of these things are in the tutorials taken care of in a small script, which you can find here:

Code:
<some path>/waves2Foam/bin/prepareCase.sh
Good luck

Niels

Old   March 1, 2013, 03:11

YS
Ya_Squall2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winden View Post
Hi Niels and Dominic. Just to report some findings, I tried the modified stokesFirst on a very fine mesh and found a discrepancy in amplitude of <1% and a discrepancy in encounter period of <0.01%.

combinedWaves with the same setup gives a 13.5% discrepancy in amplitude and 5% discrepancy in encounter period.

It would be nice if the same could be achieved with combinedWaves though since it would allow for forward speed simulations with all the other wave types as well as Stoke's first without having to derive new expressions for all of them.

I suspect that the problem might be that U and alpha are corrected separately and while combinedWaves adds the velocity contributions, it doesn't add the translation of the free surface. This means that the "wrong" omega hast to be set to ensure that the surface behaves correctly. This in turn means that the waves get the wrong velocity distribution though which may be why they grow when set free from the relaxation.

I may just be rambling here since I'm also confused by this so please correct me if i got something wrong. That would mean that the problem could be solved by adding a translation of eta in potentialCurrent somehow so that this behaviour in the modified stokesFirst

Code:
scalar eta = H_ / 2.0 * Foam::cos(omega_ * time - (k_ & x) + (k_ & current_) * time 
+ phi_) * factor(time) + seaLevel_;
is replicated when adding a Stoke's first wave with a potential current.

//Björn
Hello everybody,

I've been playing around with stokesFifth and stokesFirstwCurrent for a while, and wondering what is the correlation between the stokes drift velocity (scalar Q_) in the former and the current (vector current_) in the latter. I made a comparison run by setting Q_ and current_ to values of the same magnitude (-0.5 m/s) and the results are attached below and the wave properties for respective waves are also given for your reference:

stokesFifthCoeffs
{
waveType stokesFifth;
height 0.1;
period 2;
depth 0.4;
stokesDrift -0.5;
direction ( 1 0 0 );
Tsoft 2;
phi 0;
waveNumber (2.54201 0 0);
waveLength 2.47174;
omega 3.14159;
}

stokesFirstwCurrentCoeffs
{
waveType stokesFirstwCurrent;
Tsoft 2;
depth 0.4;
period 2;
direction ( 1 0 0 );
phi 0;
height 0.1;
waveNumber (1.70048 0 0);
waveLength 3.69495;
omega 3.14159;
current (-0.5 0 0);
}

surfaceElevation_wave_current.jpg

velocity_wave-current.jpg

Can anyone advise which one gives better result and what is the difference between Q_ and current_?

BTW, I have created a setProperty class for the stokesFirstwCurrent and attached here for your convenience.

stokesFirstwCurrentProperties.tar.gz

Many thanks!
Ya_Squall2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 8, 2013, 10:01

Jorge Gadelho
JGadelho is on a distinguished road
Hello, everyone.
I'm new in OpenFOAM and waves2foam and I've been doing the tutorials of waves2foam successfully in the OF 2.1.1 version.

Today I installed OpenFOAM 2.2.0 and tried to install waves2foam on it running the ./Allwmake command, but gives me a lot of errors:

Quote:
SOURCE=sampling/sampledSurfaceElevation/sampledSurfaceElevation.C ; g++ -m64 -Dlinux64 -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -Wnon-virtual-dtor -O3 -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-100 -DOFVERSION=220 -I/opt/openfoam220/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam220/src/meshTools/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam220/src/sampling/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam220/src/lagrangian/basic/lnInclude -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam220/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam220/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linux64GccDPOpt/sampledSurfaceElevation.o
In file included from sampling/sampledSurfaceElevation/sampledSurfaceElevation.H:51:0,
from sampling/sampledSurfaceElevation/sampledSurfaceElevation.C:27:
/opt/openfoam220/src/sampling/lnInclude/sampledSet.H:47:22: fatal error: coordSet.H: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Make/linux64GccDPOpt/sampledSurfaceElevation.o] Error 1
./Allwmake: line 47: cd: applications/solvers/solvers220: No such file or directory
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/misc'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/misc/matlab'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/misc/matlab/postprocessing'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `application'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/misc/matlab/postprocessing'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/misc/matlab/preprocessing'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `application'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/misc/matlab/preprocessing'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/misc/matlab'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/misc'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/postProcessing'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/postProcessing/surfaceElevation'
SOURCE=surfaceElevation.C ; g++ -m64 -Dlinux64 -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -Wnon-virtual-dtor -O3 -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-100 -I/opt/openfoam220/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam220/src/meshTools/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam220/src/sampling/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam220/src/lagrangian/basic/lnInclude -DOFVERSION=220 -I./../../../../src/lnInclude -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam220/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam220/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linux64GccDPOpt/surfaceElevation.o
In file included from ./../../../../src/lnInclude/sampledSurfaceElevation.H:51:0,
from ./../../../../src/lnInclude/IOsampledSurfaceElevation.H:36,
from surfaceElevation.C:89:
/opt/openfoam220/src/sampling/lnInclude/sampledSet.H:47:22: fatal error: coordSet.H: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [Make/linux64GccDPOpt/surfaceElevation.o] Error 1
make[2]: Target `/home/jorge/OpenFOAM/jorge-2.2.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/surfaceElevation' not remade because of errors.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/postProcessing/surfaceElevation'
make[1]: *** [surfaceElevation] Error 2
make[1]: Target `application' not remade because of errors.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/postProcessing'
make: *** [postProcessing] Error 2
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/preProcessing'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/preProcessing/relaxationZoneLayout'
g++ -m64 -Dlinux64 -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -Wnon-virtual-dtor -O3 -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-100 -I/opt/openfoam220/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -DOFVERSION=220 -I./../../../../src/lnInclude -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam220/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam220/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude -fPIC -Xlinker --add-needed -Xlinker --no-as-needed Make/linux64GccDPOpt/relaxationZoneLayout.o -L/opt/openfoam220/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib \
-lfiniteVolume -L/home/jorge/OpenFOAM/jorge-2.2.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib -lwaves2Foam -lOpenFOAM -ldl -lm -o /home/jorge/OpenFOAM/jorge-2.2.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/relaxationZoneLayout
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lwaves2Foam
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [/home/jorge/OpenFOAM/jorge-2.2.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/relaxationZoneLayout] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/preProcessing/relaxationZoneLayout'
make[1]: *** [relaxationZoneLayout] Error 2
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/preProcessing/setWaveField'
g++ -m64 -Dlinux64 -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -Wnon-virtual-dtor -O3 -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-100 -I/opt/openfoam220/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -DOFVERSION=220 -I./../../../../src/lnInclude -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam220/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam220/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude -fPIC -Xlinker --add-needed -Xlinker --no-as-needed Make/linux64GccDPOpt/setWaveField.o -L/opt/openfoam220/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib \
-lfiniteVolume -L/home/jorge/OpenFOAM/jorge-2.2.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib -lwaves2Foam -lOpenFOAM -ldl -lm -o /home/jorge/OpenFOAM/jorge-2.2.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/setWaveField
make[2]: *** [/home/jorge/OpenFOAM/jorge-2.2.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/setWaveField] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/preProcessing/setWaveField'
make[1]: *** [setWaveField] Error 2
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/preProcessing/setWaveParameters'
g++ -m64 -Dlinux64 -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -Wnon-virtual-dtor -O3 -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-100 -DOFVERSION=220 -I/opt/openfoam220/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I./../../../../src/lnInclude -I./../../../../src/lnInclude -I/usr/local/include -I/include -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam220/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam220/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude -fPIC -Xlinker --add-needed -Xlinker --no-as-needed Make/linux64GccDPOpt/setWaveParameters.o -L/opt/openfoam220/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib \
-lfiniteVolume -lgsl -lgslcblas -L/home/jorge/OpenFOAM/jorge-2.2.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib -lwaves2Foam -lOpenFOAM -ldl -lm -o /home/jorge/OpenFOAM/jorge-2.2.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/setWaveParameters
make[2]: *** [/home/jorge/OpenFOAM/jorge-2.2.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/setWaveParameters] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/preProcessing/setWaveParameters'
make[1]: *** [setWaveParameters] Error 2
make[1]: Target `application' not remade because of errors.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jorge/Downloads/Software/waves2Foam/applications/utilities/preProcessing'
make: *** [preProcessing] Error 2
make: Target `application' not remade because of errors.
Am I missing anything? Does anyone tried to install waves2foam on OF 2.2.0?

Thank you!
JGadelho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 8, 2013, 10:19
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hi Jorge,

I have not had a chance to consider the compilation on 2.2.0. There will be an update as soon as I have a working 2.2.0 and a compiled waves2Foam. These days, however, I cannot give you a time estimate.

If you figure out which elements to correct, then please do send me a list of needed corrections. It does, however, seem that it is the sampling that creates problems, so try to remove those lines from the Make/files and see, whether you can compile waves2Foam successfully.

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   March 8, 2013, 10:57

Jorge Gadelho
Hi Niels,
thank you for the fast reply.

For now I got back to OF 2.1.1. When I have the time, may be I'll try to do the changes (I've pour knowledge in linux, I don't know if I can do it).

I also would like to help improve the wikipage of waves2foam, because at first seems to be a little confusing. Since I'm working in a 2D waveflume may be I could produce a more complete tutorial.

I'll keep in touch!
And keep up the excellent work Niels!

congrats,
Jorge.

Old   March 8, 2013, 11:01
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hi Jorge,

That would be really helpful. The wiki page is free to be edited.

Have fun,

Niels

Old   March 8, 2013, 17:12
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Dear all,

A small update on the compilation of waves2Foam on OF220. I got around to remove the compilation error reported by Jorge, however, it merely opened up for a considerably more evolved compilation error, which seems that I have to re-implemented the wave gauge part of the code.

Therefore, if you would like to try the new VOF-corrections in OF220, then please do the following

1. Remove the files

Code:
sampling/sampledSurfaceElevation/sampledSurfaceElevation.C
sampling/sampledSurfaceElevationFunctionObject/sampledSurfaceElevationFunctionObject.C
from Make/files.

2. Furthermore, I suppose (yet to be tested) that you can follow the guide on the waves2Foam wiki on how to adjust the interFoam into waves2Foam.

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   March 10, 2013, 07:10
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
For compilation on OF220, please refer to the following thread:

Release of a Wave Generation and Absorption Toolbox for OF

Kind regards,

Niels

Last edited by wyldckat; December 28, 2013 at 08:55. Reason: updated the link to the other post, given the transfer of posts from the news thread

Old   March 11, 2013, 08:07

Jorge Gadelho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngj View Post
Dear all,

A small update on the compilation of waves2Foam on OF220. I got around to remove the compilation error reported by Jorge, however, it merely opened up for a considerably more evolved compilation error, which seems that I have to re-implemented the wave gauge part of the code.

Therefore, if you would like to try the new VOF-corrections in OF220, then please do the following

1. Remove the files

Code:
sampling/sampledSurfaceElevation/sampledSurfaceElevation.C
sampling/sampledSurfaceElevationFunctionObject/sampledSurfaceElevationFunctionObject.C
from Make/files.

2. Furthermore, I suppose (yet to be tested) that you can follow the guide on the waves2Foam wiki on how to adjust the interFoam into waves2Foam.

Kind regards,

Niels
hello Niels,
yesterday, I compiled successfully (I guess) the interFoam into waveFoam following the guide. So now I have OF220 with waves2foam working.

In the end by running the wmake command asked me all the related .H files. So I copied them into the compilation folder and it worked.

regards,
Jorge.

Old   March 11, 2013, 10:29
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hi Jorge,

Good to know. I believe that you have forgotten to modify your Make/options file, since you should not need to copy, e.g. relaxationZone.H to the solvers/solver220/waveFoam directory.

Kind regards

Niels

Old   March 22, 2013, 02:21

Bowlderster
bowlderster is on a distinguished road
Hello, all.
Last night, I tried to compile waves2Foam in ubuntu12.04, but not successed.
The OpenFOAM version number is 2.1.1.
I compiled as following steps:
1.Download the sorce code from http://www.student.dtu.dk/~ngja/waves2Foam.tar.gz;
2.Decompress the files in my home directory, e.g /home/mydir/waves2Foam;
3.Install Gsl
sudo apt-get install libgsl0-dev;
4.Go to eh waves2Foam directory, and execute Allwmake script
cd waves2Foma
./Allwmake

After a while, in the terminal window, a compiling error appears.
It seems that "The directory ~/OpenFOAM/mydir-2.1.1/applications" not made.
Sorry, I am not very sure about that, and I will attach the message this night.
I will try it again this night.

My question is that the steps mentioned above is okay or not.
Thanks for your help.
bowlderster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 29, 2013, 03:34

Galchenko Olga
Galchenko is on a distinguished road
Good morning!

I'm testing waveFoam on StokesFirst and StokesSecond waves with diffrent parameters. I found some limitation connected with wave number and amplitude for StokesFirst: for each amplitude I got min value of wave number, under which my solution crashes. The lower amplitude I take, the lower min wave number i can set. So, with amplitudes about 1 I can get just very steep waves. Did any one get similiar results? And what can it be connected with?
Galchenko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 2, 2013, 05:06
Default How to set up boundary conditions for k, nut, epsilon etc. for waves2Foam waveflume?

CH Xu
neytirilover is on a distinguished road
Hi forum,

I'm new to CFD and OpenFOAM as well as waves2Foam, but I think this is a great tool.

Based on the waves2Foam tutorial case of waveflume, I want to change the turbulenceProperties to add LES or RAS turbulence modeling to the flume and use it for reproducing an lab experiment.

I changed respective entries and added the RASproperties file to the case referencing the RAS tutorial DamBreak in interFoam. I also added respective variable entries to the ../0 folder to specify the boundary conditions. fvSchemes and fvSolutions are also modified accordingly.

Now the problem is how do I set the boundary conditions for k,nut and epsilon(since I'm using kEpsilon model for now.) at the inlet and outlet boundaries as well as the atmosphere boundaries? Currently I referred to some other cases and specfied them as:

inlet:

k: fixedValue; value uniform 0.1;
nut: zeroGradient;
epsilon: fixedValue; value uniform 0.1;

outlet:

k: inletOutlet; inletValue uniform 0.1;
nut: inletOutlet; inletValue uniform 0;
epsilon: inletOutlet; inletValue uniform 0.1;

I used this settings together with the existing alpha1, p_rgh and U settings to run the case and the case blows up.

I would appreciate if any suggestions about the boundary condition settings for k, nut and epsilon in waves2Foam could be given
neytirilover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 2, 2013, 05:31
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Good morning,

You should keep in mind that you are imposing potential theory at the boundaries (at least as long as you are not super-imposing currents), though with your boundary conditions you apply an eddy viscosity at inlet and outlet, which is 0.009 and therefore violating the assumption of invisid flow.

Kind regards

Niels

Old   April 2, 2013, 07:52

CH Xu
neytirilover is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngj View Post
Good morning,

You should keep in mind that you are imposing potential theory at the boundaries (at least as long as you are not super-imposing currents), though with your boundary conditions you apply an eddy viscosity at inlet and outlet, which is 0.009 and therefore violating the assumption of invisid flow.

Kind regards

Niels
Hi Niels

Thank you for your kindly reply, if my understanding is correct, what you mean is that I specified non-zero k and epsilon value at the inlet boundary, which induced turbulence eddy viscosity and this violates the inviscid assumption of potential theory. I think this does make sense and I will set them to fixedValue 0, and see if things gets better, anyway I'll post the outcome here

Best Regards,

CH Xu
neytirilover is offline   Reply With Quote