Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   October 24, 2013, 00:47

Arthur Loginow
Maralady is on a distinguished road
I do not have this line

// Period - needed by setWaveParameters -> yields omega period 2.0;

At my file, do I have to write it by myself?
Maralady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 28, 2013, 13:56
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
ngj will become famous soon enoughngj will become famous soon enough
Hi Arthur,

Try to execute the

Code:
setWaveParameters
utility. It will complain, if essential parameters are not defined in waveProperties.org. As should also be clear from the wiki, the required parameters depend on the wave theory that you use.

Kind regards

Niels

Old   October 28, 2013, 23:31

Arthur Loginow
I think I have been doing all this the wrong way, when I type: setWaveParameters I get:

Create time

Reading g

Reading waveProperties

--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
cannot find file

file: /home/arthur/OpenFOAM/arthur-2.2.1/applications/utilities/waves2Foam/tutorials/waveFoam/waveFlume/constant/waveProperties.input at line 0.

From function regIOobject::readStream()
in file db/regIOobject/regIOobjectRead.C at line 73.

FOAM exiting

I will try to change the waveProperties to waveProperties.input, would this work or it is recommended to copy the file instead and have 3 files, waveProperties, waveProperties.org and waveProperties.input?

Old   October 29, 2013, 13:40
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Good evening Arthur,

I will recommend to look at the bejiBatjess tutorial, because it actually uses the setWaveParameters utility, as you can confirm yourself by lookkng at the table on the wiki.

Also for the future, I believe you will safe time and learn more, if you test your thougths instead of sitting and waiting for answers.

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   October 29, 2013, 21:01

Arthur Loginow
Actually I ran several simulations by now but I have the 3 files and I wanted to know your opinion about it, as one last thing, I would like to change the geometry from the waveFlume tutorial, do you have any recommendations?

Old   October 31, 2013, 13:49
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hi Arthur,

Then I would recommend that you begin by reading the user guide on how to use either blockMesh or snappyHexMesh. There are also a huge number of threads on both topics elsewhere on this forum.

It should be a good starting point.

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   November 2, 2013, 01:52

Arthur Loginow
Dear Neils, thank you for all your replies, I would like to know if you can help me to understand something, I have some doubts about the set up of the waveFlume tutorial and here is why (Please forgive me if someone made this question before, I am trying to catch up with all the information in here but it is a pretty long discussion):

The waveFlume tutorial is to understand the waveProperties file, or at least that is the main purpose, the waveProperties files looks like this (Just the wave properties):

// Wave type to be used at boundary "inlet" and in relaxation zone "inlet"
waveType stokesFirst;

// Ramp time of 2 s
Tsoft 1.94;

// Water depth at the boundary and in the relaxation zone
depth 1;

// Cyclic wave frequency
omega 3.141593;

// Phase shift in the wave
phi 0.000000;

// Wave number vector, k.
waveNumber (1.25664 0.0 0.0);

// Wave height
height 0.1;

And the input needed for StokesFirst it is the following:

waveType stokesFirst;
depth <scalar>;
period <scalar>;
direction <vector>;
phi <scalar>;
height <height>;
Tsoft <scalar>; // Not required

Do the period and direction properties have a default value? The program recognize that the user must specify both, but only if the user runs the setWaveField which is not needed in order to run this tutorial, I would like to know this because even when it sounds silly, I think that I am missing information somewhere. (I red that Tsoft is taken as the period when the period is not specified that is why I am assuming that they both have default values)

Thanks for your time

Old   November 3, 2013, 12:52
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hi Arthur,

The properties you list are only needed by the setWaveParameters utility (not the setWaveField, as you write). setWaveParameters is basically a calculator, which transform "easy" physical parameters such as wave period, water depth, wave height and direction into the variables, which are needed to compute the wave kinematics, dynamics and free surface. The latter parameters are the cyclic frequency, the wave number vector and other variables that depend on the chosen wave theory.

All these parameters are linked through a given potential wave theory, where the specific link for stokesFirst is the linear dispersion relation.

The waveFlume tutorial is not designed specifically to understand the waveProperties file, it is merely a part of it. It also illustrates the use of relaxation zones, initiation of variables, etc. But since the waveFlume tutorial do not use setWaveParameters, it does not need the wave period and the direction.

The definition of the default value for Tsoft is for each wave theory directly understood from its constructor in the .C-file. You can also study the setWaveProperties-directory and the corresponding file for each wave theory to get a better understanding on the linkage between parameters needed for setWaveParameters and parameters needed to execute waveFoam.

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   November 4, 2013, 16:01
Default Ide

katakgoreng is on a distinguished road
Hi Niels,

I will be working with waves2Foam and do some extension/modification to the current code. Just out of curiosity, did you use any IDE (Eclipse, Netbean, etc) for the development of waves2Foam toolbox? I just want to weigh my option whether to use IDE or just stick with text-based editor like Vim or emacs.

Kind regards,
katakgoreng
katakgoreng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 5, 2013, 03:18
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Good morning Katakgoreng,

Yes, I am using Eclipse. It works quite nicely for something like development of new libraries, however, I have not been successful (and have hardly tried) in getting the auto-completion working within the solvers.

Good luck,

Niels

Old   November 8, 2013, 12:44

Ed Ransley
Ed R is on a distinguished road
Dear All,

I'm having some issues with large waves at the inlet boundary of a numerical wave tank (NWT). I've attached 2 images to explain my issues; one before a large crest enters the domain and one just afterwards..

I seams to me that excessive air velocities are created when a large crest is created at the inlet. I believe this is due to the relaxation zone forcing the air velocities to zero and not letting them come in through the inlet, instead they are forced around the relaxation zone (you can see where the boundary is due to the air vectors). Even without a relaxation zone (which I need) the inlet boundary has air velocities of zero and so air is forced in from above. Also I cannot seem to make the relaxation zone only come up to the top of the water (and not go into the air phase). Can this be done? Ideally I'd have an atmospheric BC for the air phase (instead of set to zero) and only relax the water phase.

The consequence of this is that the crest appears to steepen and the freesurface behind the crest is badly disturbed. Any comments or help on this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (34.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (38.1 KB, 54 views)
Ed R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 9, 2013, 04:38
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Good morning Ed,

I do not recall ever to see such a behaviour (with a relaxation zone), so could you please share some more informations? Could you try to run the relaxationZoneLayout utility, just to make sure that your zone is not wrongly defined.

With respect to the idea of only relaxing in the water, then it is possible to modify/extend the code with such a functionality. It merely requires a new relaxationScheme<partlyRelaxing> class.

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   November 10, 2013, 13:51

Yashar Rafati
Yashar is on a distinguished road
Hi Niels,
I have problem in modifying the interDyMFoam to waveDyMFoam. I have done all the steps. at last when I wanted to do ''wmake'' in the main file, the following error appeared:

yashar@ubuntu:~/OpenFOAM/yashar-2.2.1/applications/solvers/waves2Foam/applications/solvers/solvers221/waveFoam/waveDyMFoam$ wmake
linuxGccDPOpt/options:6: *** missing separator. Stop.
wmake error: file 'Make/linuxGccDPOpt/objectFiles' could not be created in /home/yashar/OpenFOAM/yashar-2.2.1/applications/solvers/waves2Foam/applications/solvers/solvers221/waveFoam/waveDyMFoam

Yashar
Yashar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 11, 2013, 03:32

maryam morta
mary mor is on a distinguished road
Dear All
I downloaded waves2Foam and ran it with openFoam16ext with no problem.

Now I want to create waveDyMFoam. I followed the instruction on wiki but after running wmake it gives me the error below:

Code:
linuxGccDPOpt/options:2: *** missing separator.  Stop.
wmake error: file 'Make/linuxGccDPOpt/objectFiles' could not be created
Can anyone please tell me how to fix it?

Best regards,
Maryam
mary mor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 11, 2013, 06:50
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hi Maryam,

You are missing one or more line seperators in the file Make/options.

Kind regards

Niels

Old   November 11, 2013, 07:52

Ed Ransley
Ed R is on a distinguished road
Hi Niels,

Here's the relaxationZoneLayout for the case, it looks fine to me.

The case is a focused wave made up of many components using combinedwave wave type. The amplitudes and phases at the inlet are taken from experimental data (an FFT of a time series) and the results are compared against surface elevation time series further down the tank to assess the quality of modelling wave-wave interactions in OpenFOAM. The results aren't bad but the troughs and peaks are a little off (particularly near the inlet) and immediately after the main peak the free surface is full of high frequency disturbances. I have been working on resolving this issue for some time when I discovered these high air velocities which I now believe to be partly responsible.

What I'm looking for is for the inlet to allow a smooth transition from the BC to the numerical domain so it is as if the wave has been propagating for a while before crossing the boundary and it crosses unaltered. To make it more complicated I have been looking at structure interactions and so wanted the relaxation zone to absorb reflections and also I find steep/high amplitude waves can cause the simulation to crash without the inlet relaxation zone.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: png relaxationZoneLayout.png (11.3 KB, 31 views)
Ed R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 11, 2013, 15:10

Arthur Loginow
Neils, I am trying to simulate a sloped tank, however I am trying to use 2 blocks instead of just 1, but the system is crashing I assume that it is because I am getting negative values for alpha1

Courant Number mean: 0.00325609 max: 0.256065
Interface Courant Number mean: 0.000130793 max: 0.113135
deltaT = 0.00197208
Time = 0.0481498

MULES: Solving for alpha1
Phase-1 volume fraction = 0.387221 Min(alpha1) = -2.07058e-19 Max(alpha1) = 1
DILUPBiCG: Solving for Ux, Initial residual = 0.000842177, Final residual = 1.68671e-10, No Iterations 2
DILUPBiCG: Solving for Uy, Initial residual = 0.00309381, Final residual = 3.72365e-10, No Iterations 2
GAMG: Solving for p_rgh, Initial residual = 0.00762491, Final residual = 5.21319e-08, No Iterations 9
GAMG: Solving for p_rgh, Initial residual = 0.00025839, Final residual = 7.73398e-08, No Iterations 4
time step continuity errors : sum local = 3.19437e-10, global = 5.37101e-11, cumulative = -1.72466e-10
GAMG: Solving for p_rgh, Initial residual = 0.000142471, Final residual = 4.64556e-08, No Iterations 4
GAMG: Solving for p_rgh, Initial residual = 1.35461e-05, Final residual = 2.86379e-08, No Iterations 2
time step continuity errors : sum local = 1.18287e-10, global = 8.7723e-13, cumulative = -1.71589e-10
GAMG: Solving for p_rgh, Initial residual = 9.61035e-06, Final residual = 4.70567e-08, No Iterations 2
GAMG: Solving for p_rgh, Initial residual = 9.00775e-07, Final residual = 8.30235e-09, No Iterations 3
time step continuity errors : sum local = 3.42923e-11, global = -1.39533e-12, cumulative = -1.72984e-10
ExecutionTime = 5.91 s ClockTime = 6 s

The mesh seems to be OK or at least it is what the checkMesh utility says, but it is not a regular mesh, what else could it be? Any suggestion?

Old   November 11, 2013, 16:15
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hi Arthur,

I will encourage you to read the following thread carefully:

How to give enough info to get help

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   November 12, 2013, 05:38

maryam morta
mary mor is on a distinguished road
Thanks Niel,

I also have 2 more questions.
-Is this toolbox capable to be coouled with compressibleInterFoam? For some reasons, I need to solve the air as compressible that I explain below.

-I have a floating object with air chambers. because of wave crossing water level can go up and down in chamber and air can get out and in from the chamber. So I need the velocity of air. As I understood, your toolbox set the air velocity by zero. Is it possible for me to consider air velocity in the chambers but ignore it outside it? I also should use waveDyMFoam.

Thankes in advanced
Best regards,
Maryam
mary mor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 12, 2013, 07:28
Default Error in setWaveParameters

Prasad
mprasad is on a distinguished road
Hi Niels,

I am having some trouble running my case. I get the following error when i execute setWaveParameters:

--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
keyword debug is undefined in dictionary "/home/prasad/OpenFOAM/wrCases/waveRunUpNs/constant/waveProperties.input.inlet1Coeffs"

file: /home/prasad/OpenFOAM/wrCases/waveRunUpNs/constant/waveProperties.input.inlet1Coeffs from line 30 to line 48.

From function dictionary::lookupEntry(const word&, bool, bool) const
in file db/dictionary/dictionary.C at line 402.

FOAM exiting

I am new to OpenFOAM and so far am unable to troubleshoot this. Is there something with regards to waves2foam that I am missing?

Thank you.

Regards,
Prasad
Attached Files
File Type: txt wavePropertiesInput.txt (1.9 KB, 16 views)
mprasad is offline   Reply With Quote