Home > Forums > OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD

Waves2Foam Related Topics

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   April 2, 2014, 01:53

Paritosh Vasava
vasava will become famous soon enough
Ok, I got it now. I simply misunderstood your sentence and started looking for the wave2Foam in openFoam folders. Silly me!!
vasava is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 4, 2014, 08:25
Default Couple waves2foam with dynamic mesh

Paritosh Vasava
I have openFoam 2.2 installed and the waves2foam directory is on my desktop. I have manged to compile the waves2foam toolbox and also ran few tutorials without without any problem.

Now, I am trying to couple waves2foam with dynamic mesh with instructions given in these two links.

http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Co...dify_interFoam

https://sites.google.com/site/jordim...ic-mesh-motion

Here are steps that I followed:

1. Copy interDyMFoam to waveFoam directory.
2. The interDyMFoam had only correctPhi.H, pEqn.H and readControls.H files. Therefore I copied rest of the files alphaCourantNo.H, alphaEqn.H, alphaEqnSubCycle.H, setDeltaT.H, Ueqn.H from the waveFoam solver folder.
3. Also I copied the createFields.H from the interFoam directory in the OpenFoam2.2 directory.
4. I renamed the solver and respective files as 'waveDyMFoam'.
5. I made modifications as suggested in these webpages.
6. Then I ran the Allwmake file and got the following error (in the waves2foam.log file).

Now I assume that the other solvers were compiled properly compiled but the waveDyMFoam did not compile properly. Could someone please help me correct this.
Attached Files
File Type: zip waveDyMFoam.zip (19.0 KB, 13 views)

Old   April 4, 2014, 08:26

Paritosh Vasava
Here is the error log file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt waves2foam.log.txt (4.2 KB, 18 views)

Old   April 6, 2014, 10:16
Default More details about 'geometria.stl_backup'

zhyren is on a distinguished road
Hi, Ngs,

I am learning about the case in waves2foam, named 'bejiBattjes'. But I am puzzled with the mesh. In the file 'stlDefinitions', there are four points to definite the shape. But I do not know about the meaning of the file 'geometria.stl_backup'. Please give me more details. Thank you very much.

ps, If I have change the points in 'stlDefinitions', the shape also changes.

Last edited by zhyren; April 6, 2014 at 10:38. Reason: more information
zhyren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 7, 2014, 13:43
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
ngj will become famous soon enoughngj will become famous soon enough
Good evening,

@Zhyren: Please read the Allrun script, as this will tell you the details on the various steps/files.

@Vasava and other interDyMFoam+waves2Foam users:
The guide on how to create both waveFoam and waveDyMFoam on the wiki is outdated (as is also explicitly stated). Furthermore, it is a deliberate choice not to distribute waves2Foam with a waveDyMFoam solver, since my experience with this type of solver is somewhat limited.
Therefore, if someone is willing to create the waveDyMFoam solver (preferably for all OF-versions supported through waves2Foam) and make them available through the svn-repositories along with one or more tutorials, I would gladly receive the contribution.

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   April 8, 2014, 01:17

Paritosh Vasava
Thanks for the response Niels. I hope someone comes up with a solution.

Old   April 8, 2014, 09:07
Default A question about the case 'bejiBattjes'

Hi, Niels,
In the simulation results of tutorials case 'bejiBattjes', I can not find the data files in the folder 'surfaceElevation'. Should I change something in Allrun or make other changes? Thanks.

zhiyuan

Old   April 8, 2014, 14:49
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hi Zhiyuan,

Yes, I can confirm that it is a bug. I am thinking of how to make a general correction, but for know, merely change to field name in the controlDict (the sample part) from alpha1 to alpha.water.

Hopefully, this is the only place, where I have missed a static name of the VOF field.

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   April 10, 2014, 07:14
Default Two questions about 'bejiBattjes'

Dear Niels,

I have two questions about this case 'bejiBattjes',
1. I do not use the matlab code and directly compare them with other software. I have found that in the matlab code, a time shift 1.49s need to be applied to the simulation results. Could you explain why? Do I have to do this time shift to all the other cases?

2. The simulation results do not match well with the experiment data. However, I have found that in the master paper 'Development of a numerical wave tank using OpenFOAM', the grid size 0.02 by 0.01 is enough. And his results are better than this case. So, do you have some suggestions?

Best regards,
Zhiyuan

Old   April 10, 2014, 10:31
Default Spilling Breaker

Scott
sb612 is on a distinguished road
Hi Niels,

I am still trying to reproduce the spilling breaker results from your paper. The problem I am having is that the wave breaks too early, similar to your paper when you used an aspect ratio of 2.

However, my mesh has an aspect ratio of 1 and I have updated the turbulence model and wall functions according to the suggestions in your paper/on this forum. i.e. I have included density and changed the production term to depend on the rotation of the field.

Have you got any further suggestions on how to make the wave break later? Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Scott
sb612 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 17, 2014, 09:24
Default request for files of the model (Thx)

yalong cai
pizicai is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordi.muela View Post
Hi All,

here i share a video showing a little example of wave2foam coupled with dynamic mesh motion. I've modified the waveFlume example:

http://youtu.be/YKbj_7JMRl8

Sure, until now i was working with groovyBC when i need to generate waves, but my principal problem is the wave absortion, and i'm working with a modified version of interDyMFoam where i added a artificial damping coeficient in momentum equation, using a scalar field for act in the zones of interest, i.e. a numerical beach. But the relaxation zones that you implemented seems to work much better, so thank you again.

Jordi.

Hi, Jordi,

I downloaded the model files you uploaded on
https://sites.google.com/site/jordim...ic-mesh-motion

however, I can not compile the waveDyMFoam successfully. I am sure i followed the steps suggested in Wiki.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

SOURCE=waveDyMFoam.C ; g++ -m32 -Dlinux -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -O3 -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-100 -I/opt/openfoam222/src/transportModels/twoPhaseMixture/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam222/src/transportModels -I/opt/openfoam222/src/transportModels/incompressible/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam222/src/transportModels/interfaceProperties/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam222/src/turbulenceModels/incompressible/turbulenceModel -I/opt/openfoam222/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam222/src/dynamicMesh/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam222/src/dynamicFvMesh/lnInclude -DOFVERSION=222 -I./../../../src/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam222/src/meshTools/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam222/src/fvOptions/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam222/src/sampling/lnInclude -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam222/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam222/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linuxGccDPOpt/waveDyMFoam.o
waveDyMFoam.C:44:28: fatal error: relaxationZone.H: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Make/linuxGccDPOpt/waveDyMFoam.o] Error 1

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Thanks.

pizicai

Last edited by pizicai; April 17, 2014 at 17:03.
pizicai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 21, 2014, 06:47
Smile The file /bin/prepareCase.sh is not executale

Zaibin Lin
auaries is on a distinguished road
Dear Niels,

Thank you very much for sharing waves2Foam.

I am encountering a problem on compiling your waves2Foam using the default Allwmake. The log shows everything is fine, but an error, which is "The file /bin/prepareCase.sh is not executale", appears when running waveFoam tutorial through Allrun command. As I tested, the command, cd $WAVES_DIR, doesn't work at the same time.

BTW, the command, wavesFoam -help, works, so I supposed that the waves2Foam I have should be compiled under waves2Foam r2042 and OpenFOAM-1.6-ext.

Can you please help me tackle this problem and run the tutorials?

Thank you very much in advance, and looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards,
Zaibin

Last edited by auaries; April 21, 2014 at 08:55.
auaries is online now   Reply With Quote

Old   April 21, 2014, 10:45
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Good evening Zaibin,

Read the second part of the error message. Namely, that you should make the file executable.

You can use the command

Code:
chmod
and for instance

Code:
chmod a+x prepareCase.sh
Kind regards

Niels

Old   April 21, 2014, 10:58
Smile

Zaibin Lin
auaries is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngj View Post
Good evening Zaibin,

Read the second part of the error message. Namely, that you should make the file executable.

You can use the command

Code:
chmod
and for instance

Code:
chmod a+x prepareCase.sh
Kind regards

Niels
Hi Niels,

Thank you so so much. Finally, it works and is a quite useful tool for my work.

Have a nice week.

Kind regards,
Zaibin
auaries is online now   Reply With Quote

Old   April 24, 2014, 07:43
Default About Empirical Stretching Techniques used in OpenFOAM!

Pankaj Kumar
mechamind is on a distinguished road
Does waves2Foam use any empirical stretching techniques to account for the deficiencies of linear wave theory in describing near-surface fluid kinematics?
mechamind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 25, 2014, 11:49
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Good evening,

No, there is no stretching applied to the velocity field for irregular waves. It should, however, be fairly easy to produce a wave theory with that functionality.

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   May 6, 2014, 08:48
Default Wave heading

Nima
nima3906m is on a distinguished road
Hi Foamers

I am a bit confused about the direction term in waveProperties dictionary,
is having a direction set to ( 1 1 0 ) equal to a wave with 45 degrees incident angle relative to X axis? please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
nima3906m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 14, 2014, 12:53
Default errors when using run -time surfaceElevation function in simulation by interDyMFoam

Wang Xiuting
wxtwalkee is on a distinguished road
I am working on the piston wave generation by modifying the oscillatingDisplacement boundary condition in OF-2.2.0 using interDyMFoam. I want to add the surfaceElevation function into the controlDict in order to get the run-time surface elevation. I do it as the tutorial case waveflume. The error reports that "surfaceElevation is not valid functionObject". But when I run the case waveflume by ./Allrun, it works well. Why? Does the surfaceElevation have some problems with the interDyMFoam solver in OF-2.2.0?
wxtwalkee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 14, 2014, 13:23

Wang Xiuting
wxtwalkee is on a distinguished road
Hi Jorge,
I encounter the same problem with you, I want to know whether you have figure it out and i would be very grateful if you can offer some suggestions.

Thank you
wxtwalkee
wxtwalkee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 15, 2014, 12:58

da14 is on a distinguished road
Hi

I have installed waves2foam on OpenFoam v2.2.1 successfully, but when i try to run a tutorial using Allrun i receive that error message in the file log.waveFoam:

MULES: Solving for alpha1
Phase-1 volume fraction = 0.666667 Min(alpha1) = 0 Max(alpha1) = 1
#0 Foam::error:rintStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/home/diogo/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.1/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1 Foam::sigSegv::sigHandler(int) in "/home/diogo/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.1/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2 in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#3 Foam::IOobject::db() const in "/home/diogo/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.1/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#4 Foam::regIOobject::setUpToDate() in "/home/diogo/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.1/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#5 Foam::relaxationZone::resetTargetFields() in "/home/diogo/OpenFOAM/diogo-2.2.1/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libwaves2Foam.so"
#6 Foam::relaxationZone::correct() in "/home/diogo/OpenFOAM/diogo-2.2.1/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libwaves2Foam.so"
in "/home/diogo/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.1/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/waveFoam"
#8 __libc_start_main in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
in "/home/diogo/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.1/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/waveFoam"

Thank you

Diogo Afonso
da14 is offline   Reply With Quote