Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   July 23, 2012, 04:42
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
ngj will become famous soon enoughngj will become famous soon enough
Hi Nima,

The general idea behind the circular relaxation zone (or the semi-circular for that matter), is simply to have the possibility of applying different shapes as a relaxation zone, and since the relaxation zone borders the boundary, then it is actually the relaxation zone rather than the boundary itself, which act as a combined inlet/outlet.

It should be noted, however, as I have also mentioned in my journal article on the matter that you have to pay particular attention to the mesh generation, if you are using a circular domain with waves, since the mesh resolution changes with the radial distance.

Otherwise, you could merely have your structure in the middle inside a spherical mesh and then rotate the mesh using e.g. GGI/AMI to change the orientation of the structure relative to a fixed angle of incidence in a rectangular computational domain.

Kind regards,

Niels
ngj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 23, 2012, 05:35
Smile

Nima
nima3906m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngj View Post
Hi Nima,

The general idea behind the circular relaxation zone (or the semi-circular for that matter), is simply to have the possibility of applying different shapes as a relaxation zone, and since the relaxation zone borders the boundary, then it is actually the relaxation zone rather than the boundary itself, which act as a combined inlet/outlet.

It should be noted, however, as I have also mentioned in my journal article on the matter that you have to pay particular attention to the mesh generation, if you are using a circular domain with waves, since the mesh resolution changes with the radial distance.

Otherwise, you could merely have your structure in the middle inside a spherical mesh and then rotate the mesh using e.g. GGI/AMI to change the orientation of the structure relative to a fixed angle of incidence in a rectangular computational domain.

Kind regards,

Niels
Dear Niels
Thanks for your quick response I really appreciate the time and effort you put on it

I think my question was a bit vague and complicated whereas my problem is not! to make things clear: I do have two floating objects inside a rectangular wave tank and want to observe the resonant behavior in the narrow gap in between the bodies , now I want to check my case against different wave incident angles and the only Idea that hit my mind was to change the shape of the computational domain as I could not find any other option for the angle of attack, To be honest I did not understand your above statement clearly and do not have any prior experience with GCI/AMI ,

The preferred option for me is to keep the rectangular domain shape and find a way to tell the solver that the wave is not normal to the objects wall boundaries!

Regards

Nima
nima3906m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 3, 2012, 09:04
Default Irregular wave theory

Nima
Hi

seems that no one has read my previous post but hopefully someone can answer my new question.

I am trying to use irregular wave for my simulation, apparently it need a file named additionalWaveProperties to run can someone let me know what should be the content of the file or post a sample of the file in here

Regards

Nima

Old   August 3, 2012, 16:35
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hi Nima,

Please consider the content of the wiki. To make it short, you need to run setWaveParameters to generate the needed files. If the wiki is not sufficiently clear, I encourage you to make the needed modifications.

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   August 11, 2012, 13:44
Default waveFoam tutorials

ross
rosswin is on a distinguished road
Hi
I'm new to using any sort of CFD software and openFoam.
I have managed to install the waveFoam package and it runs.
However when I use paraFoam to view the results it seems as though no processing has been done. The results seem to be initial conditions. I have tried running a few tutorials.
I'm not sure where to start on solving this issue...
Thanks

Old   August 13, 2012, 01:48
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Good morning Ross,

Welcome to the Forum.

You say that you have been running a few tutorials; are these the tutorials in waves2Foam or standard OF tutorials? Anyway, I would recommend that you start trying the tutorials in the User Guide and especially focus on successful visualisation of the results.

If it proves unsuccessful, then please search the forum on problems with paraFoam. On the other hand, if successful, it might be a problem with your installation of waves2Foam, but you are required to give a lot more information, since your above description is too general (e.g. OF-version, did you follow the installation procedure on the wiki, how did you manage to create waveFoam if you are running OF2.0/OF2.1, etc).

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   August 13, 2012, 04:59

Nima
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosswin View Post
Hi
I'm new to using any sort of CFD software and openFoam.
I have managed to install the waveFoam package and it runs.
However when I use paraFoam to view the results it seems as though no processing has been done. The results seem to be initial conditions. I have tried running a few tutorials.
I'm not sure where to start on solving this issue...
Thanks

seems a bit strange ! do you have all the time directories made in the case directory? have you checked time step write interval in controlDict file?

Regards

Nima

Old   August 13, 2012, 12:45

ross
Hi Niels

I have done the standard tutorials in OF 2.1.
I installed OF 1.7.1 in order to make the waves2Foam imstallation simpler for myself.
Are the usergiude tutorials ones for waves2Foam?
If so I will try and do those ones, otherwise I think I should go through the OF tutorials more thoroughly.

Yes I followed the wiki installation.
I tried my best to follow the instructions to create waveFoam. When I run waveFoam it completes the computation much much quicker than any OF tutorial I have run before. Maybe I have not created waveFoam properly.

Hi Nima

I think I did, my knowledge is very limited in this but I had a look over the controldict file and it all seemed ok, time step etc. The time directory is that the initial conditions i.e. at t=0?

Regards
Ross
rosswin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 13, 2012, 13:12

ross
Hi again

Just thought I'd try to give an idea of what I am trying to do with OF.
I want to model a 2D hydrofoil in a wave tank.

Thanks

Ross
rosswin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 13, 2012, 15:56
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hi Ross,

If you have tried the standard tutorial "damBreak", then you will see that you will get a directory for each time data is outputted.

If you do not have those in the output, when running waveFoam, then something is wrong. If you are running in 1.7.1. then all you need to do is to execute "./Allwmake" to compile library, utilities and solvers and nothing else; and it has proven to work.

Which tutorials in waves2Foam have you been running?

/ Niels

Old   September 6, 2012, 10:55
Default combinedWaves waveType

Ed Ransley
Ed R is on a distinguished road
Dear All,

I hope is the correct place to post my question, I apologise for interrupting any current conversations.

I'm trying to get the combinedWaves waveType to work at the inlet of my 2D wave tank with the ultimate goal of creating a focussed wave packet which focussed down the tank (ideally an addition waveType with parameters such that the NewWave formulation could be implemented would be great) but in the mean time I'd like to add multiple stokes waves together with different phases but I cannot decipher the wiki (below)

"+++ Example - setWaveParameters and Running +++ waveType combinedWaves; combinedWaveNames <workList>; // A list of names of the other sub-dictionaries without the Coeffs-part"

Can anyone explain how I should set up my wavefoam file to solve this problem?

Thanks

Ed
Ed R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 7, 2012, 01:38
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Good morning Ed,

What you need to do is define something similar to this:

Code:
myWaveCoeffs
{
     waveType combinedWaves;
     combinedWaveNames (wave0 wave1 wave2 <ETC>);
}

wave0Coeffs
{
    waveType <>;
    and all relevant data
}

wave1Coeffs
{
    waveType <>;
    and all relevant data
}

wave2Coeffs
{
    waveType <>;
    and all relevant data
}

<ETC>
It is a bit tedious way of creating a focused wave, so an actual focused waveType would probably be nice in the longer run.

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   September 14, 2012, 15:49

Kevin Smith
kev4573 is on a distinguished road
Niels,

I attached a svn diff patch to add a waveFoam solver based on the current OpenFOAM 2.1.x version of interFoam, basically following the directions on the wiki. Thought this might help people get started with waves2foam, without having to copy and modify a handful of code if they happen to use 2.1.x.

Cheers,
Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: patch wave2Foam_add_solvers21.patch (18.8 KB, 37 views)
kev4573 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 17, 2012, 02:43
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Good morning Kevin,

Thank you for the patch. Before adding it to the svn, I would like to discuss it a bit, since the lack of a release from my side is based on the question:

- What is it worth to have a solver, when none of the tutorials work with 2.0/2.1? (Here I am thinking of incorrect fvSolution, possible extension of Allrun, etc.)

Any input on this is most appreciated. Furthermore, as I am not running 2.0/2.1, a list of problems in the tutorials would be very valuable.

Kind regards,

Niels

Old   September 17, 2012, 11:00

Kevin Smith
Niels,

Yes, I agree ideally all the tutorials should be updated at the same time as the solvers for 2.0/2.1. I just updated the waveFlume tutorial (modify Allrun, added fvSchemes.21, fvSolution.21), see attached for a patch including these changes.

I ran into 2 problems when trying to run the waveFlume tutorial under 2.1.x
  1. 2.1.x version of interFoam is pimple-based, tutorials need PIMPLE section in fvSolution, replacing "PISO" with "PIMPLE" in fvSolution seems to do the trick.
  2. 2.1.x needs div((muEff*dev(T(grad(U))))) term added to fvSchemes. I do not have a good understand of this term, so I just used "Gauss linear" setting.
I have not tried to run waves2Foam with version 2.0, so I can't comment on what issues may exist there.

Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: patch waves2Foam_add_solvers21_mod_waveFlume.patch (24.5 KB, 21 views)

Old   September 18, 2012, 02:39
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hi Kevin,

Thanks a lot. The patch was exactly the answer I was hoping for ) I will make sure to make an update of the repository within the near future.

Are there any affiliation, which you would like me to put in the CONTRIBUTORS file?

/ Niels

Old   September 18, 2012, 11:18

Kevin Smith
Great, thank you Niels!

I sent you a private message in regards to contributors file.

Kevin

Old   September 20, 2012, 04:11

Jan Löhrmann
JanL is on a distinguished road
Dear Nils, dear Björn,

I've been reading your posts regarding the problem of combining stokesFirst and potentialCurrent. As I would like to simulate a ship with forward speed in incoming waves, I'd be very much interested if there have been any results regarding the issues mentioned by Björn about the discrepancy in amplitude and period.
Is there a working setWaveProperties file somewhere?
Or is there any other possibility to consider a forward speed within waveFoam?

Best regards
Jan
JanL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 20, 2012, 22:07
Default Solitary and Cnoidal Wave Makers

Masoud Hayatdavoodi
Rotto is on a distinguished road
Hi Niels,

What solution of Solitary wave did you use in the Solitary wave-maker? I mean, where did you get the equations to specify eta, p, and horizontal and vertical velocities? Could you please refer me to the reference you used?
Also, I know you used KdV solution for the Cnoidal wave-maker, could you give me a reference for this as well. It is just not clear to me why p (pressure) needs to be specified in the Solitary wave-maker but not in the Cnoidal wave-maker.

Thank you for all your great work. Very helpful package.
Masoud
Rotto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 21, 2012, 03:52
ngj

Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Hi Massoud

The discussion of the pressure can be found on the Wiki describing the tutorial for the solitary wave.

With respect to documentation, the same is used for cnoidal and solitary theory, and you can find the reference in cnoidalFirst.H.

Kind regards,

Niels