CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/)
-   -   Coupled Brownian Dynamics with OpenFoam (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/103249-coupled-brownian-dynamics-openfoam.html)

stealth June 14, 2012 17:03

Coupled Brownian Dynamics with OpenFoam

Hello OpenFoam Users,

I am working on solutions to Poisson Nernst Planck Equation (Diffusion Equation with drift of charged particles due to external electric field) to study dynamics of charged particles. The geometry consists of microfluidic channels over microelectrode assembly.

I want to take into account fluid motion by coupling Navier Stokes Equation with PNP equation, as an example case : to see the dynamics of charged particles inside the droplets which are created from a TJunction.
This means fluid flow should be included and particles are constraint by dynamics of droplets.

Is it possible to resolve the droplet shape at each time step and to couple velocity profile from OpenFoam solutions to dynamics of particles dynamically, assuming there is no significant change in droplet behavior due to external electric fields ?

Regards,

A. Sharma

nandiganavishal September 3, 2012 11:43

Hi Sharma,

I am working to simulate similar dynamics !! Were you able to incorporate the Brownian dynamics in the PNP solver.

Please let me know.

Regards
Vishal

javadu August 17, 2013 17:27

Hi nandiganavishal,

I'm simulating the nanoparticle size motion and one of the important mechanism in this size is Brownian motion respect to the particles high diffusion, could you help me please, how can I add it in OpenFoam?

thanks
best regards

nandiganavishal August 17, 2013 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by javadu (Post 446357)
I'm simulating the nanoparticle size motion and one of the important mechanism in this size is Brownian motion respect to the particles high diffusion, could you help me please, how can I add it in OpenFoam?

thanks
best regards

Hi,

I do not fully understand the objective of your problem. Do you want to couple the Brownian dynamics of the particle with the continuum equation or do you want to incorporate only Brownian dynamics?

Vishal

javadu August 18, 2013 03:28

Hi

Quote:

Originally Posted by nandiganavishal (Post 446368)
Hi,

I do not fully understand the objective of your problem. Do you want to couple the Brownian dynamics of the particle with the continuum equation or do you want to incorporate only Brownian dynamics?

Vishal

Hi
I am using one way interaction (fluid-particle) with solidParticleFoam solver based on Lagrangian approach. I incorporated the gravity and Stoks drag forces in particle equation of motion but I can't add the Brownian force in equation. I've seen code file for brownian motion in directory :
/opt/openfoam210/src/lagrangian/intermediate/submodels/Thermodynamic/ParticleForces /BrownianMotion

but I don't know how can I link this library to particle equation and what additional parameters and changing must be added in the before solidParticleFoam solver

I'll be very thankful

Javadu