CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/)
-   -   Coupled Brownian Dynamics with OpenFoam (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/103249-coupled-brownian-dynamics-openfoam.html)

stealth June 14, 2012 17:03

Coupled Brownian Dynamics with OpenFoam
 
Hello OpenFoam Users,

I am working on solutions to Poisson Nernst Planck Equation (Diffusion Equation with drift of charged particles due to external electric field) to study dynamics of charged particles. The geometry consists of microfluidic channels over microelectrode assembly.

I want to take into account fluid motion by coupling Navier Stokes Equation with PNP equation, as an example case : to see the dynamics of charged particles inside the droplets which are created from a TJunction.
This means fluid flow should be included and particles are constraint by dynamics of droplets.

Is it possible to resolve the droplet shape at each time step and to couple velocity profile from OpenFoam solutions to dynamics of particles dynamically, assuming there is no significant change in droplet behavior due to external electric fields ?


Regards,


A. Sharma

nandiganavishal September 3, 2012 11:43

Hi Sharma,

I am working to simulate similar dynamics !! Were you able to incorporate the Brownian dynamics in the PNP solver.

Please let me know.

Regards
Vishal

javadu August 17, 2013 17:27

Hi nandiganavishal,
 
I'm simulating the nanoparticle size motion and one of the important mechanism in this size is Brownian motion respect to the particles high diffusion, could you help me please, how can I add it in OpenFoam?

thanks
best regards

nandiganavishal August 17, 2013 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by javadu (Post 446357)
I'm simulating the nanoparticle size motion and one of the important mechanism in this size is Brownian motion respect to the particles high diffusion, could you help me please, how can I add it in OpenFoam?

thanks
best regards


Hi,

I do not fully understand the objective of your problem. Do you want to couple the Brownian dynamics of the particle with the continuum equation or do you want to incorporate only Brownian dynamics?

Vishal

javadu August 18, 2013 03:28

Hi
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nandiganavishal (Post 446368)
Hi,

I do not fully understand the objective of your problem. Do you want to couple the Brownian dynamics of the particle with the continuum equation or do you want to incorporate only Brownian dynamics?

Vishal

Hi
I am using one way interaction (fluid-particle) with solidParticleFoam solver based on Lagrangian approach. I incorporated the gravity and Stoks drag forces in particle equation of motion but I can't add the Brownian force in equation. I've seen code file for brownian motion in directory :
/opt/openfoam210/src/lagrangian/intermediate/submodels/Thermodynamic/ParticleForces /BrownianMotion

but I don't know how can I link this library to particle equation and what additional parameters and changing must be added in the before solidParticleFoam solver

I'll be very thankful

Javadu

Danath June 1, 2016 14:37

Brownian force
 
do you solve the problem ?

can you help me ?

I am interested to add brownian force to icouncoupledkinematicparcelFoam

Quote:

Originally Posted by javadu (Post 446381)
Hi
I am using one way interaction (fluid-particle) with solidParticleFoam solver based on Lagrangian approach. I incorporated the gravity and Stoks drag forces in particle equation of motion but I can't add the Brownian force in equation. I've seen code file for brownian motion in directory :
/opt/openfoam210/src/lagrangian/intermediate/submodels/Thermodynamic/ParticleForces /BrownianMotion

but I don't know how can I link this library to particle equation and what additional parameters and changing must be added in the before solidParticleFoam solver

I'll be very thankful

Javadu


bijan darbari June 2, 2016 00:34

Dear Danath

Brownian force only works when the solver, solve heat transfer in continuous phase, because for calculating this force, temperature of continuous phase must be known. I think your solver didn't solve heat transfer equation. and so you can't add Brownian force to this solver.

you must use "reactingparcelfoam" or same solver that have brownian force.

Danath June 2, 2016 05:33

Hello Bijan and thanks for the reply .

Tc = absolute temperature of the fluid

If i set a constant temperature of the fluid ( 20 C )

Is it right or wrong ?

I set a new force under the name BrownForce and i compile the lagrangian. Now my solver can see the brownian force

Quote:

Originally Posted by bijan darbari (Post 602938)
Dear Danath

Brownian force only works when the solver, solve heat transfer in continuous phase, because for calculating this force, temperature of continuous phase must be known. I think your solver didn't solve heat transfer equation. and so you can't add Brownian force to this solver.

you must use "reactingparcelfoam" or same solver that have brownian force.


bijan darbari June 2, 2016 07:05

Dear Danath

I thing it's true. the temperature of fluid can be uniform.
read this pdf:
http://web2.clarkson.edu/projects/cr...2_Brownian.pdf
at the end of that file, the author simulate brownian motion of particles in uniform temperature and velocity filed of fluid.
If pissible please send me your new brownian force files!!(.C & .H ) or at least tell me some information about it.
because when I use openfoam standard brownian force, my particles extremely accelerate ( their speed become 10000 times of fluid speed ) and I think some thing is wrong in openfoam standard brownian force. ( my prticles diameter is 60 nanometer).

Did you got a reasonable reasult ( speed and positions of particles )
when use your new brownian force??

Danath June 3, 2016 10:36

Something is going wrong !!!

the force is multiplied with the mass but the velocity is very high !!!


Quote:

Originally Posted by bijan darbari (Post 603060)
Dear Danath

I thing it's true. the temperature of fluid can be uniform.
read this pdf:
http://web2.clarkson.edu/projects/cr...2_Brownian.pdf
at the end of that file, the author simulate brownian motion of particles in uniform temperature and velocity filed of fluid.
If pissible please send me your new brownian force files!!(.C & .H ) or at least tell me some information about it.
because when I use openfoam standard brownian force, my particles extremely accelerate ( their speed become 10000 times of fluid speed ) and I think some thing is wrong in openfoam standard brownian force. ( my prticles diameter is 60 nanometer).

Did you got a reasonable reasult ( speed and positions of particles )
when use your new brownian force??


bijan darbari June 3, 2016 15:10

Dear Danath

So my guess is true and openfoam standard brownian force does not work well.
because brownian force is a very complex and sensible force and need very attention when the programmer write it in the software or code. (also fluent has a wrong brownian force.)

I need to correct this force for my thesis simulation. So I will working on it and I hope solve this problem next two month. If you solve this problem in the future, please inform in this forum.

Danath June 3, 2016 19:05

I think the problem is located in the unit variance independent Gaussian random numbers


Quote:

Originally Posted by bijan darbari (Post 603333)
Dear Danath

So my guess is true and openfoam standard brownian force does not work well.
because brownian force is a very complex and sensible force and need very attention when the programmer write it in the software or code. (also fluent has a wrong brownian force.)

I need to correct this force for my thesis simulation. So I will working on it and I hope solve this problem next two month. If you solve this problem in the future, please inform in this forum.



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 23:02.