CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD

Coupled Brownian Dynamics with OpenFoam

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   June 14, 2012, 17:03
Default Coupled Brownian Dynamics with OpenFoam
  #1
New Member
 
A Sharma
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 14
Rep Power: 6
stealth is on a distinguished road
Hello OpenFoam Users,

I am working on solutions to Poisson Nernst Planck Equation (Diffusion Equation with drift of charged particles due to external electric field) to study dynamics of charged particles. The geometry consists of microfluidic channels over microelectrode assembly.

I want to take into account fluid motion by coupling Navier Stokes Equation with PNP equation, as an example case : to see the dynamics of charged particles inside the droplets which are created from a TJunction.
This means fluid flow should be included and particles are constraint by dynamics of droplets.

Is it possible to resolve the droplet shape at each time step and to couple velocity profile from OpenFoam solutions to dynamics of particles dynamically, assuming there is no significant change in droplet behavior due to external electric fields ?


Regards,


A. Sharma
stealth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 3, 2012, 11:43
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
Vishal Nandigana
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Champaign, Illinois, U.S.A
Posts: 208
Rep Power: 10
nandiganavishal is on a distinguished road
Hi Sharma,

I am working to simulate similar dynamics !! Were you able to incorporate the Brownian dynamics in the PNP solver.

Please let me know.

Regards
Vishal
nandiganavishal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 17, 2013, 17:27
Default Hi nandiganavishal,
  #3
New Member
 
J.B.
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
javadu is on a distinguished road
I'm simulating the nanoparticle size motion and one of the important mechanism in this size is Brownian motion respect to the particles high diffusion, could you help me please, how can I add it in OpenFoam?

thanks
best regards
javadu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 17, 2013, 21:28
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
Vishal Nandigana
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Champaign, Illinois, U.S.A
Posts: 208
Rep Power: 10
nandiganavishal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadu View Post
I'm simulating the nanoparticle size motion and one of the important mechanism in this size is Brownian motion respect to the particles high diffusion, could you help me please, how can I add it in OpenFoam?

thanks
best regards

Hi,

I do not fully understand the objective of your problem. Do you want to couple the Brownian dynamics of the particle with the continuum equation or do you want to incorporate only Brownian dynamics?

Vishal
nandiganavishal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 18, 2013, 03:28
Default Hi
  #5
New Member
 
J.B.
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
javadu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandiganavishal View Post
Hi,

I do not fully understand the objective of your problem. Do you want to couple the Brownian dynamics of the particle with the continuum equation or do you want to incorporate only Brownian dynamics?

Vishal
Hi
I am using one way interaction (fluid-particle) with solidParticleFoam solver based on Lagrangian approach. I incorporated the gravity and Stoks drag forces in particle equation of motion but I can't add the Brownian force in equation. I've seen code file for brownian motion in directory :
/opt/openfoam210/src/lagrangian/intermediate/submodels/Thermodynamic/ParticleForces /BrownianMotion

but I don't know how can I link this library to particle equation and what additional parameters and changing must be added in the before solidParticleFoam solver

I'll be very thankful

Javadu
javadu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 1, 2016, 14:37
Default Brownian force
  #6
Member
 
Evangelos
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 82
Rep Power: 6
Danath is on a distinguished road
do you solve the problem ?

can you help me ?

I am interested to add brownian force to icouncoupledkinematicparcelFoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadu View Post
Hi
I am using one way interaction (fluid-particle) with solidParticleFoam solver based on Lagrangian approach. I incorporated the gravity and Stoks drag forces in particle equation of motion but I can't add the Brownian force in equation. I've seen code file for brownian motion in directory :
/opt/openfoam210/src/lagrangian/intermediate/submodels/Thermodynamic/ParticleForces /BrownianMotion

but I don't know how can I link this library to particle equation and what additional parameters and changing must be added in the before solidParticleFoam solver

I'll be very thankful

Javadu
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 2, 2016, 00:34
Default
  #7
Member
 
Bijan Darbari
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 39
Rep Power: 2
bijan darbari is on a distinguished road
Dear Danath

Brownian force only works when the solver, solve heat transfer in continuous phase, because for calculating this force, temperature of continuous phase must be known. I think your solver didn't solve heat transfer equation. and so you can't add Brownian force to this solver.

you must use "reactingparcelfoam" or same solver that have brownian force.
bijan darbari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 2, 2016, 05:33
Default
  #8
Member
 
Evangelos
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 82
Rep Power: 6
Danath is on a distinguished road
Hello Bijan and thanks for the reply .

Tc = absolute temperature of the fluid

If i set a constant temperature of the fluid ( 20 C )

Is it right or wrong ?

I set a new force under the name BrownForce and i compile the lagrangian. Now my solver can see the brownian force

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijan darbari View Post
Dear Danath

Brownian force only works when the solver, solve heat transfer in continuous phase, because for calculating this force, temperature of continuous phase must be known. I think your solver didn't solve heat transfer equation. and so you can't add Brownian force to this solver.

you must use "reactingparcelfoam" or same solver that have brownian force.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 2, 2016, 07:05
Default
  #9
Member
 
Bijan Darbari
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 39
Rep Power: 2
bijan darbari is on a distinguished road
Dear Danath

I thing it's true. the temperature of fluid can be uniform.
read this pdf:
http://web2.clarkson.edu/projects/cr...2_Brownian.pdf
at the end of that file, the author simulate brownian motion of particles in uniform temperature and velocity filed of fluid.
If pissible please send me your new brownian force files!!(.C & .H ) or at least tell me some information about it.
because when I use openfoam standard brownian force, my particles extremely accelerate ( their speed become 10000 times of fluid speed ) and I think some thing is wrong in openfoam standard brownian force. ( my prticles diameter is 60 nanometer).

Did you got a reasonable reasult ( speed and positions of particles )
when use your new brownian force??

Last edited by bijan darbari; June 2, 2016 at 13:27.
bijan darbari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 3, 2016, 10:36
Default
  #10
Member
 
Evangelos
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 82
Rep Power: 6
Danath is on a distinguished road
Something is going wrong !!!

the force is multiplied with the mass but the velocity is very high !!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by bijan darbari View Post
Dear Danath

I thing it's true. the temperature of fluid can be uniform.
read this pdf:
http://web2.clarkson.edu/projects/cr...2_Brownian.pdf
at the end of that file, the author simulate brownian motion of particles in uniform temperature and velocity filed of fluid.
If pissible please send me your new brownian force files!!(.C & .H ) or at least tell me some information about it.
because when I use openfoam standard brownian force, my particles extremely accelerate ( their speed become 10000 times of fluid speed ) and I think some thing is wrong in openfoam standard brownian force. ( my prticles diameter is 60 nanometer).

Did you got a reasonable reasult ( speed and positions of particles )
when use your new brownian force??
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 3, 2016, 15:10
Default
  #11
Member
 
Bijan Darbari
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 39
Rep Power: 2
bijan darbari is on a distinguished road
Dear Danath

So my guess is true and openfoam standard brownian force does not work well.
because brownian force is a very complex and sensible force and need very attention when the programmer write it in the software or code. (also fluent has a wrong brownian force.)

I need to correct this force for my thesis simulation. So I will working on it and I hope solve this problem next two month. If you solve this problem in the future, please inform in this forum.
bijan darbari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 3, 2016, 19:05
Default
  #12
Member
 
Evangelos
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 82
Rep Power: 6
Danath is on a distinguished road
I think the problem is located in the unit variance independent Gaussian random numbers


Quote:
Originally Posted by bijan darbari View Post
Dear Danath

So my guess is true and openfoam standard brownian force does not work well.
because brownian force is a very complex and sensible force and need very attention when the programmer write it in the software or code. (also fluent has a wrong brownian force.)

I need to correct this force for my thesis simulation. So I will working on it and I hope solve this problem next two month. If you solve this problem in the future, please inform in this forum.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Critical errors during OpenFoam installation in OpenSuse 11.0 amscosta OpenFOAM 5 May 1, 2009 14:06
Problem installing OpenFOAM 1.5 installation on RHEL 4. vwsj84 OpenFOAM Installation 4 April 23, 2009 04:48
2009 OpenFOAM Summer School in Zagreb, Croatia hjasak OpenFOAM Announcements from Other Sources 0 March 27, 2009 13:08
Summer School on Numerical Modelling and OpenFOAM hjasak OpenFOAM 5 October 12, 2008 13:14
Second OpenFOAM Workshop in Zagreb Croatia 79Jun2007 hjasak OpenFOAM 5 June 10, 2007 12:33


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:52.