Wind turbine analyses in OF - first steps / beginner /
I am thinking about making a master degree in CFD. I am very beginner in both CFD and fluid dynamics subjects. However I am very interested in learning fluid mechanics and work in future for wind engineering companies.
I want to simulate wind turbine and optimize its geometry (especially blades geometry) to given wind speed (it could be constant for this purpose, for example V = 6,5 m/s). So I have two steps: 1. simulation and 2. optimization. I want to try analyze 500kW HAWT turbine.
We have ANSYS Fluent at our university, however I am thinking about OpenFoam which is free, so I could use it also at home. Maybe I will do it in Fluent, but for now I would like to focus on OpenFoam. I have made few "beginning steps": I have gone through some OF tutorials and have tried to build geometries in GMSH, Discretizer, HelyxOS and SALOME.
I have few questions regarding wind turbine simulations in OpenFoam and such simulations at all (not focusing only on OpenFoam):
1. Of course I need strong physics background to do this. Presently my knowledge of fluid mechanics is very limited (as you see), but I want to change this in near future. What kind of flows should I learn? (suitable for my case) And what subjects should I mainly focus on?
2. There are many solvers in OpenFoam. Which should I get to know?. What OF tools should I also learn? I suppose I will need to know snappyHexMesh for meshing and pyFoam for optimization and working more efficient with OF.
3. Could you recommend any "best practices" resource about wind turbine analyzes (simulation/ optimization, etc.)? I would like to learn all steps I have to go through. Maybe there are some examples of such analyses in OF (or Ansys Fluent)?
Thanks for advice and any help - I appreciate this!
PS. I want to add that:
1. My knowledge of C++ is very limited. I know only Python and C#. But I am willing to learn C++ if it is required or highly recommended.
2. Is it good to make such analyses in two apps (OF and Fluent) or should I better focus on one (I was thinking about using same geometry / mesh in both applications).
3. If you have anything you want to send me by e-mail instead of uploading here on forum, here is my e-mail: cad cae _ pl @ int eria . pl (please remove all spaces in address)
just read this topic, maybe you still need some advice.
Hope it helps.
CFD analysis of wind turbine in PHOENICS
I'm doing wind turbine analysis on phoenics and i'm a beginner user of phoenics. can any 1 out here send me a tutorial about how i can analyse a 3 blade Horizontal axis wind turbine and calculate power out of it? any help is appreciated.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 16:33.|