CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/)
-   -   Wind turbine analyses in OF - first steps / beginner / (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/113354-wind-turbine-analyses-first-steps-beginner.html)

cadcae February 18, 2013 12:00

Wind turbine analyses in OF - first steps / beginner /

Hello everybody!

I am thinking about making a master degree in CFD. I am very beginner in both CFD and fluid dynamics subjects. However I am very interested in learning fluid mechanics and work in future for wind engineering companies.

I want to simulate wind turbine and optimize its geometry (especially blades geometry) to given wind speed (it could be constant for this purpose, for example V = 6,5 m/s). So I have two steps: 1. simulation and 2. optimization. I want to try analyze 500kW HAWT turbine.

We have ANSYS Fluent at our university, however I am thinking about OpenFoam which is free, so I could use it also at home. Maybe I will do it in Fluent, but for now I would like to focus on OpenFoam. I have made few "beginning steps": I have gone through some OF tutorials and have tried to build geometries in GMSH, Discretizer, HelyxOS and SALOME.

I have few questions regarding wind turbine simulations in OpenFoam and such simulations at all (not focusing only on OpenFoam):

1. Of course I need strong physics background to do this. Presently my knowledge of fluid mechanics is very limited (as you see), but I want to change this in near future. What kind of flows should I learn? (suitable for my case) And what subjects should I mainly focus on?

2. There are many solvers in OpenFoam. Which should I get to know?. What OF tools should I also learn? I suppose I will need to know snappyHexMesh for meshing and pyFoam for optimization and working more efficient with OF.

3. Could you recommend any "best practices" resource about wind turbine analyzes (simulation/ optimization, etc.)? I would like to learn all steps I have to go through. Maybe there are some examples of such analyses in OF (or Ansys Fluent)?

Thanks for advice and any help - I appreciate this!

Regards,
Robert

PS. I want to add that:
1. My knowledge of C++ is very limited. I know only Python and C#. But I am willing to learn C++ if it is required or highly recommended.
2. Is it good to make such analyses in two apps (OF and Fluent) or should I better focus on one (I was thinking about using same geometry / mesh in both applications).
3. If you have anything you want to send me by e-mail instead of uploading here on forum, here is my e-mail: cad cae _ pl @ int eria . pl (please remove all spaces in address)

Marlen533 August 27, 2014 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadcae (Post 408484)
Hello everybody!

I am thinking about making a master degree in CFD. I am very beginner in both CFD and fluid dynamics subjects. However I am very interested in learning fluid mechanics and work in future for wind engineering companies.

I want to simulate wind turbine and optimize its geometry (especially blades geometry) to given wind speed (it could be constant for this purpose, for example V = 6,5 m/s). So I have two steps: 1. simulation and 2. optimization. I want to try analyze 500kW HAWT turbine.

We have ANSYS Fluent at our university, however I am thinking about OpenFoam which is free, so I could use it also at home. Maybe I will do it in Fluent, but for now I would like to focus on OpenFoam. I have made few "beginning steps": I have gone through some OF tutorials and have tried to build geometries in GMSH, Discretizer, HelyxOS and SALOME.

I have few questions regarding wind turbine simulations in OpenFoam and such simulations at all (not focusing only on OpenFoam):

1. Of course I need strong physics background to do this. Presently my knowledge of fluid mechanics is very limited (as you see), but I want to change this in near future. What kind of flows should I learn? (suitable for my case) And what subjects should I mainly focus on?

2. There are many solvers in OpenFoam. Which should I get to know?. What OF tools should I also learn? I suppose I will need to know snappyHexMesh for meshing and pyFoam for optimization and working more efficient with OF.

3. Could you recommend any "best practices" resource about wind turbine analyzes (simulation/ optimization, etc.)? I would like to learn all steps I have to go through. Maybe there are some examples of such analyses in OF (or Ansys Fluent)?

Thanks for advice and any help - I appreciate this!

Regards,
Robert

PS. I want to add that:
1. My knowledge of C++ is very limited. I know only Python and C#. But I am willing to learn C++ if it is required or highly recommended.
2. Is it good to make such analyses in two apps (OF and Fluent) or should I better focus on one (I was thinking about using same geometry / mesh in both applications).
3. If you have anything you want to send me by e-mail instead of uploading here on forum, here is my e-mail: cad cae _ pl @ int eria . pl (please remove all spaces in address)

Hello. someone wrote you an answer?

crixman September 3, 2014 10:27

Hi,
just read this topic, maybe you still need some advice.

Quote:

I think that for WT simulations, you will just need an understanding of incompressible flows and turbulence models (I would recommend kOmegaSST).

Quote:

For your case, you should have a look at simpleFoam with MRF (after OF2.2.x is in fvOptions) for quasi-static analysis and pimpleDyMFoam for transient simulations.

Quote:

I am going to setup an MRF workflow tutorial soon, I'll post it here when it's ready, For blade optimization, have a look at QBlade as well.

Hope it helps.
Regards,
Christian

Khurram381 March 1, 2015 17:00

CFD analysis of wind turbine in PHOENICS

Hello All,

I'm doing wind turbine analysis on phoenics and i'm a beginner user of phoenics. can any 1 out here send me a tutorial about how i can analyse a 3 blade Horizontal axis wind turbine and calculate power out of it? any help is appreciated.