CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD

piecewise linear inlet profile: swak4foam?

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   March 9, 2013, 11:33
Default piecewise linear inlet profile: swak4foam?
  #1
Member
 
Marcus Letzel
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aurich
Posts: 35
Rep Power: 4
letzel is on a distinguished road
Dear All,

my current task is the initialization of the streamwise velocity component Ux both at the inlet patch and for the internalField.

Input data is an atmospheric boundary layer profile of Ux measured at discrete heights above ground by a wind tunnel experiment. Uy and Uz are zero.

From the discrete measurements I would like to construct a piecewise linear vertical profile of Ux. At present, the input data are stored in a data file with the following content
Code:
(
0.0  0.00
2.0  1.12
5.0  1.36
10.0 1.56
15.0 1.68
20.0 1.78
30.0 1.92
40.0 2.02
)
where the first column is the height in m above ground and the second column is the streamwise velocity component Ux in m/s.

Which is the best way to input this piecewise linear profile into OpenFoam? Is there a clever way to use swak4foam for this task?

Best regards,
Marcus
letzel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 9, 2013, 12:52
Default
  #2
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,915
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by letzel View Post
Dear All,

my current task is the initialization of the streamwise velocity component Ux both at the inlet patch and for the internalField.

Input data is an atmospheric boundary layer profile of Ux measured at discrete heights above ground by a wind tunnel experiment. Uy and Uz are zero.

From the discrete measurements I would like to construct a piecewise linear vertical profile of Ux. At present, the input data are stored in a data file with the following content
Code:
(
0.0  0.00
2.0  1.12
5.0  1.36
10.0 1.56
15.0 1.68
20.0 1.78
30.0 1.92
40.0 2.02
)
where the first column is the height in m above ground and the second column is the streamwise velocity component Ux in m/s.

Which is the best way to input this piecewise linear profile into OpenFoam? Is there a clever way to use swak4foam for this task?

Best regards,
Marcus
If it was in time you could use timeVaryingUniform from standard-OpenFOAM. But swak4Foam has something based on that technology: lookuptables. For instance you declare a lookuptable heightData which you can then use in an expression like this "vector(heightData(pos().z),0,0)"

See the case Examples/groovyBC/wobbler on how to declare the lookuptable and the format of the data-file
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 24, 2014, 11:39
Default
  #3
Member
 
Tobias Adam
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Siegen
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 3
Tobias Adam is on a distinguished road
Is there a possibility to use a standard atmospheric layer for the inlet?
Right now I donīt know the exact inflow conditions except for the maximal velocity = 6 and minimal velocity =0 at the ground, so I don want to use this table function...
Best regards Tobi
Tobias Adam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 2, 2014, 17:49
Default
  #4
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,915
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Adam View Post
Is there a possibility to use a standard atmospheric layer for the inlet?
Right now I donīt know the exact inflow conditions except for the maximal velocity = 6 and minimal velocity =0 at the ground, so I don want to use this table function...
Best regards Tobi
What do you mean with "standard atmospheric layer"?
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 3, 2014, 05:32
Default
  #5
Member
 
Tobias Adam
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Siegen
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 3
Tobias Adam is on a distinguished road
I guess standard atmospheric layer was the wrong word.
I wanted to ask for a realistic inflow condition, with changing velocity depending on the height. I thought about a parabolic velocity function depending on the height, but did not find good examples or parameters.
My problem is, I donīt know much about the roughness of the area in front of my simulated area. so I wanted to ask for some standard values or functions to create such an inflow condition with no-slip-condition for the ground.

Best regards Tobi
Tobias Adam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 3, 2014, 15:43
Default
  #6
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,915
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Adam View Post
I guess standard atmospheric layer was the wrong word.
I wanted to ask for a realistic inflow condition, with changing velocity depending on the height. I thought about a parabolic velocity function depending on the height, but did not find good examples or parameters.
My problem is, I donīt know much about the roughness of the area in front of my simulated area. so I wanted to ask for some standard values or functions to create such an inflow condition with no-slip-condition for the ground.

Best regards Tobi
Finding a good relation for the flow is your responsibility. swak only helps you implementing it. For an example see Examples/groovyBC/pulsedPitzDaily
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
experimental data, inlet profile, internalfield, swak4foam

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
extracting outlet velocity profile from one case to another case's inlet tonggysun OpenFOAM 2 September 13, 2013 04:19
Inlet profile independent of geometry orientation ? arapha FLUENT 0 February 18, 2011 17:28
translational periodic BC vs Fully Developed Profile at Inlet Prakash.Paudel FLUENT 1 August 20, 2010 11:01
scalarField inlet profile BC potac OpenFOAM Pre-Processing 0 January 16, 2010 12:09
inlet velocity profile in Polyflow srinu Main CFD Forum 0 January 16, 2003 21:27


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38.