CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD

what does this message mean?"Duration of pickling 0.0856988430023 too long..."

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By gschaider

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   May 3, 2013, 09:36
Default what does this message mean?"Duration of pickling 0.0856988430023 too long..."
  #1
Senior Member
 
immortality's Avatar
 
Ehsan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Iran
Posts: 2,186
Rep Power: 16
immortality is on a distinguished road
the run takes too long time and this message is displayed:
Code:
regIOobject::readIfModified() :
Re-reading object fvSolution from file "/home/ehsan/Desktop/shock_tube_and_backwards/shock_tube_650000_p/processor0/../system/fvSolution"
Mean and max Courant Numbers = 0.0410868479 0.09708383921
deltaT = 1.58982006e-08
Time = 9.38026e-08
Duration of pickling 0.0856988430023 too long. Extending frequency from 1.0 to 4.28494215012
what does it mean?and how to resolve?
__________________
Injustice Anywhere is a Threat for Justice Everywhere.Martin Luther King.
To Be or Not To Be,Thats the Question!
The Only Stupid Question Is the One that Goes Unasked.

Last edited by immortality; May 3, 2013 at 10:51.
immortality is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 3, 2013, 10:18
Default
  #2
ngj
Senior Member
 
Niels Gjoel Jacobsen
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 1,595
Rep Power: 24
ngj will become famous soon enoughngj will become famous soon enough
Hi Ehsan,

You need to provide some additional information, such as OF-version, solver (customised by yourself?), etc. I have tried searching the application and source code folders in versions OF2.1.0, OF2.2.0 and OF1.6-ext, and in none of them the word "pickling" is to be found.

This makes it very hard to tell anything on the source of the error.

Kind regards

Niels
ngj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 4, 2013, 18:34
Default
  #3
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,912
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortality View Post
the run takes too long time and this message is displayed:
Code:
regIOobject::readIfModified() :
Re-reading object fvSolution from file "/home/ehsan/Desktop/shock_tube_and_backwards/shock_tube_650000_p/processor0/../system/fvSolution"
Mean and max Courant Numbers = 0.0410868479 0.09708383921
deltaT = 1.58982006e-08
Time = 9.38026e-08
Duration of pickling 0.0856988430023 too long. Extending frequency from 1.0 to 4.28494215012
what does it mean?and how to resolve?
That is a warning by PyFoam. It writes a file with information every second. If writing the file takes too long then this frequency is increased (to make sure that writing data is not the only thing the computer does)
Only a warning not a problem. So no need to do anything about it
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 5, 2013, 05:07
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
immortality's Avatar
 
Ehsan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Iran
Posts: 2,186
Rep Power: 16
immortality is on a distinguished road
thank you Niels for your consideration and thank you Bernhard for the answer.
could you give me any more information just to know.why writing may takes too long?is it related to results of run?
thanks.
__________________
Injustice Anywhere is a Threat for Justice Everywhere.Martin Luther King.
To Be or Not To Be,Thats the Question!
The Only Stupid Question Is the One that Goes Unasked.
immortality is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 5, 2013, 17:18
Default
  #5
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,912
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortality View Post
thank you Niels for your consideration and thank you Bernhard for the answer.
could you give me any more information just to know.why writing may takes too long?is it related to results of run?
thanks.
Can be a lot of things. Slow filesystem. Lots of data ...
If it bothers you: switch it off with or increase the frequency. The options are there and you already know about --help
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 17, 2013, 08:18
Default
  #6
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 3
KYPCK444 is on a distinguished road
hi,

I have kind of the same problem with pyFoamPlotWatcher.
It starts running but after a while it extends frequency:

Duration of pickling 0.0379099845886 too long. Extending frequency from 1.0 to 1.89549922943

so it gives me what follows:

#0 Foam::error:rintStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1 Foam::sigFpe::sigHandler(int) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2 in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#3 Foam::LimitedScheme<double, Foam::limitedLinearLimiter<Foam::NVDTVD>, Foam::limitFuncs::magSqr>::limiter(Foam::Geometric Field<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&) const in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so"
#4 Foam::limitedSurfaceInterpolationScheme<double>::w eights(Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&) const in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so"
#5 Foam::fv::gaussConvectionScheme<double>::fvmDiv(Fo am::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvsPatchField, Foam::surfaceMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&) const in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so"
#6 Foam::tmp<Foam::fvMatrix<double> > Foam::fvm::div<double>(Foam::GeometricField<double , Foam::fvsPatchField, Foam::surfaceMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&, Foam::word const&) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libincompressibleRASModels.so"
#7 Foam::tmp<Foam::fvMatrix<double> > Foam::fvm::div<double>(Foam::GeometricField<double , Foam::fvsPatchField, Foam::surfaceMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libincompressibleRASModels.so"
#8 Foam::incompressible::RASModels::kEpsilon::correct () in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libincompressibleRASModels.so"
#9
in "/home/fsauser/OpenFOAM/fsauser-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/simplePipeFoam"
#10 __libc_start_main in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#11
in "/home/fsauser/OpenFOAM/fsauser-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/simplePipeFoam"

I use OF 2.1.x and a edited form of simpleFoam solver (including gradP term in UEqn).

can anyone help me understanding?

thanks in advance
KYPCK444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 17, 2013, 08:31
Default
  #7
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,912
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYPCK444 View Post
hi,

I have kind of the same problem with pyFoamPlotWatcher.
It starts running but after a while it extends frequency:

Duration of pickling 0.0379099845886 too long. Extending frequency from 1.0 to 1.89549922943

so it gives me what follows:

#0 Foam::error:rintStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1 Foam::sigFpe::sigHandler(int) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2 in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#3 Foam::LimitedScheme<double, Foam::limitedLinearLimiter<Foam::NVDTVD>, Foam::limitFuncs::magSqr>::limiter(Foam::Geometric Field<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&) const in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so"
#4 Foam::limitedSurfaceInterpolationScheme<double>::w eights(Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&) const in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so"
#5 Foam::fv::gaussConvectionScheme<double>::fvmDiv(Fo am::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvsPatchField, Foam::surfaceMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&) const in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so"
#6 Foam::tmp<Foam::fvMatrix<double> > Foam::fvm::div<double>(Foam::GeometricField<double , Foam::fvsPatchField, Foam::surfaceMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&, Foam::word const&) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libincompressibleRASModels.so"
#7 Foam::tmp<Foam::fvMatrix<double> > Foam::fvm::div<double>(Foam::GeometricField<double , Foam::fvsPatchField, Foam::surfaceMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&) in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libincompressibleRASModels.so"
#8 Foam::incompressible::RASModels::kEpsilon::correct () in "/opt/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libincompressibleRASModels.so"
#9
in "/home/fsauser/OpenFOAM/fsauser-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/simplePipeFoam"
#10 __libc_start_main in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#11
in "/home/fsauser/OpenFOAM/fsauser-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/simplePipeFoam"

I use OF 2.1.x and a edited form of simpleFoam solver (including gradP term in UEqn).

can anyone help me understanding?

thanks in advance
That is not a PyFoam problem. The solver crashed. That's where the stack-trace is from. PyFoamPlotWatcher is just echoing it
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 17, 2013, 08:52
Default
  #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 3
KYPCK444 is on a distinguished road
ok, I was just starting believing it is a matter of solver.

thanks
KYPCK444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 17, 2013, 12:03
Default
  #9
Senior Member
 
immortality's Avatar
 
Ehsan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Iran
Posts: 2,186
Rep Power: 16
immortality is on a distinguished road
it was because of bad BC's,so that the speed of flow was too slow according to groovyBC BC's.that time I corrected the BC's and all became fine again.
__________________
Injustice Anywhere is a Threat for Justice Everywhere.Martin Luther King.
To Be or Not To Be,Thats the Question!
The Only Stupid Question Is the One that Goes Unasked.
immortality is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 29, 2014, 18:20
Default
  #10
New Member
 
Ali Heidari
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Tehran,Iran
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 4
Alih is on a distinguished road
hi Bernhard

how switch it off or increase the frequency??
Alih is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 29, 2014, 20:50
Default
  #11
Super Moderator
 
Bruno Santos
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 8,258
Blog Entries: 34
Rep Power: 84
wyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alih View Post
how switch it off or increase the frequency??
Quick answer:
Code:
pyFoamPlotWatcher --help
wyldckat is online now   Reply With Quote

Old   December 30, 2014, 06:59
Default
  #12
New Member
 
Ali Heidari
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Tehran,Iran
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 4
Alih is on a distinguished road
Hi Bruno,
Thank you for answer.
I use utilityRunner from PyFoam.Execution to run patchAverage (utility of openFoam).
but this error is occurred. and no output exist in pInlet file.
what does it mean?and how to resolve?

Best regard.

error
Code:
Duration of pickling 2.50788116455 too long. Extending frequency from 60.0 to 125.394058228
End Run
Getting LinuxMem: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/proc/5750/status'
Unused output: Reading volScalarField p
Unused output: Average of volScalarField over patch inlet[0] = 94845.7
Unused output: 
Unused output: End
Unused output: 
Duration of pickling 2.13459920883 too long. Extending frequency from 60.0 to 106.729960442
code
Code:
from PyFoam.Execution.UtilityRunner import UtilityRunner
        
        
    eUtil=UtilityRunner(argv=["patchAverage p inlet -latestTime","-case",case],silent = True,logname = "pInlet")
    eUtil.start()
Alih is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 31, 2014, 13:27
Default
  #13
New Member
 
Ali Heidari
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Tehran,Iran
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 4
Alih is on a distinguished road
hi Bruno
which option of pyFoamPlotWatcher switch it off or increase the frequency??
Alih is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 7, 2015, 16:38
Default
  #14
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,912
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alih View Post
hi Bruno
which option of pyFoamPlotWatcher switch it off or increase the frequency??
He answered that above. Use --help and look for "frequency"
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
single directional message transmit in parallel model su_junwei OpenFOAM Programming & Development 1 December 17, 2009 08:00
Problems in compiling paraview in Suse 10.3 platform chiven OpenFOAM Installation 3 December 1, 2009 08:21
Missing math.h header Travis FLUENT 4 January 15, 2009 12:48
Error message in CFX-10 CFDworker CFX 2 October 12, 2007 07:23
How long should the message index be? Jonas Larsson / Forum Admin Main CFD Forum 4 August 26, 1998 15:10


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 17:36.