CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/)
-   -   Extracting Liquid Penetration Length (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/122195-extracting-liquid-penetration-length.html)

ahcai007 August 14, 2013 07:23

Extracting Liquid Penetration Length

Hi,

I am using OF22x, sprayFoam.

I would like to output the Liquid Penetration Length (LPL) to a file so that I can plot it against runTime. But, I can't seem to find the correct function for LPL.

For 20x, the function to call is dieselSpray.penetration(0.95), but it does not work for sprayFoam in 22x.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!

Ahcai

mturcios777 August 14, 2013 12:55

Its similar for OF22x. but instead of dieselSpray.penetration(0.95), use parcels.penetration(0.95). The member function has the same name, but the spray is now called parcels as sprayFoam is more general than dieselFoam.

ahcai007 August 16, 2013 06:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by mturcios777 (Post 445780)
Its similar for OF22x. but instead of dieselSpray.penetration(0.95), use parcels.penetration(0.95). The member function has the same name, but the spray is now called parcels as sprayFoam is more general than dieselFoam.

Thanks a lot!! it works perfectly!!

ENKIME May 15, 2014 14:44

Liquid Length

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mturcios777 (Post 445780)

Hello Mutricios
I'm also new at using openFoam so I really appreciate some advice with my issue.
I was running a simulation of diesel spray in openFoam with OpenFoam 2.2.2.
I need a way to extract liquid length (LL) not liquid penetration(penetracion) to get a graph like the one attach.
I'm running out of sources of information because the specific of the problem:confused:.
Hopping you can help.
Thanks a lot my friend
Kind regards

mturcios777 May 15, 2014 14:57

I don't believe there is a default function for calculating the liquid length, though I could be wrong. You'll have to search the Kinematic library for sprays to see if something is there. Or you'll need to add that function, which doesn't look too difficult. You'll have to follow a similar procedure that the penetration function uses, but instead of averaging with mass, just take the max of all the distances. Good luck!

ENKIME May 16, 2014 12:03

Thanks a lot for the quick answer my friend I really appreciate your time.
Really I'm a rookie in this, but exactly where can I find the statement that, need to be added, in the main solver or in the cloud properties?
Also I'm using foamLog for extract that information and bash commands for the penetration do you know a simplest way for extract the information?
King regards.