CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/)
-   -   Fluctuating Liquid Penetration for Wedge sprayFoam (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/122499-fluctuating-liquid-penetration-wedge-sprayfoam.html)

ahcai007 August 21, 2013 05:17

Fluctuating Liquid Penetration for Wedge sprayFoam
 
3 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I am running a 1 degree angle wedge case using sprayFoam (OF-2.2.x) for diesel spray simulation. The injector is placed along the axis-symmetrical line.

When I extract the Liquid Penetration Length (LPL), the LPL is found to be fluctuating. Refer to the attachments. However, vapour penetration length (VPL) does not face this problem.

When LPL is extracted using dieselFoam (OF-2.0.x), the fluctuation did not happen. So, I am suspecting it is a coding problem in sprayFoam 2.2.x. I am still new to OpenFOAM thus solving this code problem would be a tough challenge for me.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!


Attached is the sprayCloudProperties and blockMeshDict if needed.

Thanks.


Ong

RJ87 December 21, 2013 12:07

HI,

I have a question that is not relevant to yours.

Do you happen to have any problem with total injected mass? I have been having problems with incorrect injected mass on wedge cases.

Regards
RJ

apk1509 January 6, 2014 03:45

1 Attachment(s)
Hi..

I am new to OF and trying to run a 5 degree angle wedge case using sprayFoam
But I get following Error:

BlockMeshDict is attacjed for refernce.

Thanks In Advance:

Error is::
Solving cloud sprayCloud
Cloud: sprayCloud
Current number of parcels = 6
Current mass in system = 7.94663e-10 /** Expected Mass is 8.33e-8 kg for 5 deg.**//
Linear momentum = (-2.3317e+09 0 2.94384e+09)
|Linear momentum| = 3.7554e+09
Linear kinetic energy = 3.06861e+28
Rotational kinetic energy = 0
model1:
number of parcels added = 6
mass introduced = 7.95718e-10
Parcels absorbed into film = 0
New film detached parcels = 0
Parcel fate (number, mass)
- escape = 0, 0
- stick = 0, 0
Temperature min/max = 320.367, 371.071
Mass transfer phase change = 1.055e-12
D10, D32, Dmax (mu) = 2.28102e-12, 8.01824e-12, 1089.75
Liquid penetration 95% mass (m) = 0.000159027

diagonal: Solving for rho, Initial residual = 0, Final residual = 0, No Iterations 0
#0 Foam::error::printStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1 Foam::sigFpe::sigHandler(int) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2 in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#3 void Foam::multiply<Foam::Tensor<double> >(Foam::Field<Foam::Tensor<double> >&, Foam::UList<double> const&, Foam::UList<Foam::Tensor<double> > const&) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so"
#4 Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Tensor<double >, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > Foam::operator*<Foam::Tensor<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>(Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<doub le, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > const&, Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Tensor<double >, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > const&) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so"
#5 Foam::compressible::RASModels::kEpsilon::divDevRho Reff(Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Vector<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>&) const in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libcompressibleRASModels.so"
#6
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/sprayFoam"
#7 __libc_start_main in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#8
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/sprayFoam"
Floating point exception (core dumped)
aniket@aniket-Inspiron-N5110:~/OpenFOAM/aniket-2.2.1/run/tutorials/lagrangian/sprayFoam/aachenBomb$

ahcai007 January 29, 2014 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ87 (Post 467292)
HI,

I have a question that is not relevant to yours.

Do you happen to have any problem with total injected mass? I have been having problems with incorrect injected mass on wedge cases.

Regards
RJ

Hi,

Yes. If im not mistaken i was also having a problem with incorrect mass injected.

I have stopped using OF22x and revert to an older version, i.e. OF20x which seems to have less problem for my wedge case. Sorry but I think I might not be much help in OF22x~

Cheers

ahcai007 January 29, 2014 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by apk1509 (Post 468796)
Hi..

I am new to OF and trying to run a 5 degree angle wedge case using sprayFoam
But I get following Error:

BlockMeshDict is attacjed for refernce.

Thanks In Advance:

Error is::
Solving cloud sprayCloud
Cloud: sprayCloud
Current number of parcels = 6
Current mass in system = 7.94663e-10 /** Expected Mass is 8.33e-8 kg for 5 deg.**//
Linear momentum = (-2.3317e+09 0 2.94384e+09)
|Linear momentum| = 3.7554e+09
Linear kinetic energy = 3.06861e+28
Rotational kinetic energy = 0
model1:
number of parcels added = 6
mass introduced = 7.95718e-10
Parcels absorbed into film = 0
New film detached parcels = 0
Parcel fate (number, mass)
- escape = 0, 0
- stick = 0, 0
Temperature min/max = 320.367, 371.071
Mass transfer phase change = 1.055e-12
D10, D32, Dmax (mu) = 2.28102e-12, 8.01824e-12, 1089.75
Liquid penetration 95% mass (m) = 0.000159027

diagonal: Solving for rho, Initial residual = 0, Final residual = 0, No Iterations 0
#0 Foam::error::printStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1 Foam::sigFpe::sigHandler(int) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2 in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#3 void Foam::multiply<Foam::Tensor<double> >(Foam::Field<Foam::Tensor<double> >&, Foam::UList<double> const&, Foam::UList<Foam::Tensor<double> > const&) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so"
#4 Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Tensor<double >, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > Foam::operator*<Foam::Tensor<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>(Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<doub le, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > const&, Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Tensor<double >, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > const&) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so"
#5 Foam::compressible::RASModels::kEpsilon::divDevRho Reff(Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Vector<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>&) const in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libcompressibleRASModels.so"
#6
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/sprayFoam"
#7 __libc_start_main in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#8
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/sprayFoam"
Floating point exception (core dumped)
aniket@aniket-Inspiron-N5110:~/OpenFOAM/aniket-2.2.1/run/tutorials/lagrangian/sprayFoam/aachenBomb$

Hi,

Did you run checkMesh?? Did it show an error? if no, then most likely is not your mesh problem, might be your settings problem~

dmck January 29, 2014 18:14

same error different case
 
hi

i got the same error message, I'm running a transient, compressible gas pipe flow simulation, using sonicFoam

i get the following error after 0.01482 sec with a time step of 1e-05, according to checkMesh my mesh is ok, I'm guessing its something to do with the settings, but I'm not sure what exactly

Time = 0.01483

Courant Number mean: -1.84532e+55 max: 5.6429e+58
diagonal: Solving for rho, Initial residual = 0, Final residual = 0, No Iterations 0
#0 Foam::error::printStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/opt/openfoam201/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1 Foam::sigFpe::sigHandler(int) in "/opt/openfoam201/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2 in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#3 void Foam::multiply<Foam::Tensor<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>(Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Tensor<d ouble>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>&, Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Tensor<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&) in "/opt/openfoam201/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libcompressibleTurbulenceModel.so"
#4 Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Tensor<double >, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > Foam::operator*<Foam::Tensor<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>(Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<doub le, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > const&, Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Tensor<double >, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > const&) in "/opt/openfoam201/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libcompressibleTurbulenceModel.so"
#5 Foam::compressible::RASModels::RNGkEpsilon::divDev RhoReff(Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Vector<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>&) const in "/opt/openfoam201/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libcompressibleRASModels.so"
#6
in "/opt/openfoam201/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/sonicFoam"
#7 __libc_start_main in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#8
in "/opt/openfoam201/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/sonicFoam"
Floating point exception (core dumped)

I would like to know what is causing this error, or where would be a good place to start looking to resolve the issue

any advice would be welcome


David

mturcios777 January 29, 2014 19:00

When you say your injector is on the axis, do you mean directly on the axis? Which direction is it pointing? And how are you extracting the penetration length?

apk1509 February 7, 2014 11:19

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahcai007 (Post 472344)
Hi,

Did you run checkMesh?? Did it show an error? if no, then most likely is not your mesh problem, might be your settings problem~

Hi ahcai007,
First, pardon me for too late reply,,

I ran checkMesh ..and it showed:

(note: here BC used is cyclic)



Create time

Create polyMesh for time = 0

Time = 0

Mesh stats
points: 174023
faces: 510081
internal faces: 494419
cells: 168100
faces per cell: 5.97561
boundary patches: 6
point zones: 0
face zones: 0
cell zones: 0

Overall number of cells of each type:
hexahedra: 164000
prisms: 4100
wedges: 0
pyramids: 0
tet wedges: 0
tetrahedra: 0
polyhedra: 0

Checking topology...
Boundary definition OK.
Cell to face addressing OK.
Point usage OK.
Upper triangular ordering OK.
Face vertices OK.
Number of regions: 1 (OK).

Checking patch topology for multiply connected surfaces...
Patch Faces Points Surface topology
front 4100 4242 ok (non-closed singly connected)
back 4100 4242 ok (non-closed singly connected)
tankWall 4100 4242 ok (non-closed singly connected)
inlet 1681 1723 ok (non-closed singly connected)
outlet 1681 1723 ok (non-closed singly connected)
axis 0 0 ok (empty)

Checking geometry...
Overall domain bounding box (0 -0.00349 0) (0.099939 0.00349 1)
Mesh (non-empty, non-wedge) directions (1 1 1)
Mesh (non-empty) directions (1 1 1)
Boundary openness (5.27124e-15 -6.19357e-17 9.43227e-18) OK.
***High aspect ratio cells found, Max aspect ratio: 5.98308e+194, number of cells 168100
<<Writing 168100 cells with high aspect ratio to set highAspectRatioCells
Minimum face area = 5.06068e-09. Maximum face area = 2.43902e-05. Face area magnitudes OK.
Min volume = 1.66667e-300. Max volume = 2e-300. Total volume = 3.34833e-295. Cell volumes OK.
#0 Foam::error::printStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1 Foam::sigFpe::sigHandler(int) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2 in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#3 acos in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6"
#4 Foam::polyMesh::checkFaceOrthogonality(Foam::Field <Foam::Vector<double> > const&, Foam::Field<Foam::Vector<double> > const&, bool, bool, Foam::HashSet<int, Foam::Hash<int> >*) const in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#5
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/checkMesh"
#6
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/checkMesh"
#7 __libc_start_main in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#8
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/checkMesh"
Floating point exception (core dumped)

What are mistakes in this blockMeshDict....
New blockMesh for cyclic BC is attached here

amolrajan March 19, 2014 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by apk1509 (Post 473947)
Hi ahcai007,
First, pardon me for too late reply,,

I ran checkMesh ..and it showed:

(note: here BC used is cyclic)



Create time

Create polyMesh for time = 0

Time = 0

Mesh stats
points: 174023
faces: 510081
internal faces: 494419
cells: 168100
faces per cell: 5.97561
boundary patches: 6
point zones: 0
face zones: 0
cell zones: 0

Overall number of cells of each type:
hexahedra: 164000
prisms: 4100
wedges: 0
pyramids: 0
tet wedges: 0
tetrahedra: 0
polyhedra: 0

Checking topology...
Boundary definition OK.
Cell to face addressing OK.
Point usage OK.
Upper triangular ordering OK.
Face vertices OK.
Number of regions: 1 (OK).

Checking patch topology for multiply connected surfaces...
Patch Faces Points Surface topology
front 4100 4242 ok (non-closed singly connected)
back 4100 4242 ok (non-closed singly connected)
tankWall 4100 4242 ok (non-closed singly connected)
inlet 1681 1723 ok (non-closed singly connected)
outlet 1681 1723 ok (non-closed singly connected)
axis 0 0 ok (empty)

Checking geometry...
Overall domain bounding box (0 -0.00349 0) (0.099939 0.00349 1)
Mesh (non-empty, non-wedge) directions (1 1 1)
Mesh (non-empty) directions (1 1 1)
Boundary openness (5.27124e-15 -6.19357e-17 9.43227e-18) OK.
***High aspect ratio cells found, Max aspect ratio: 5.98308e+194, number of cells 168100
<<Writing 168100 cells with high aspect ratio to set highAspectRatioCells
Minimum face area = 5.06068e-09. Maximum face area = 2.43902e-05. Face area magnitudes OK.
Min volume = 1.66667e-300. Max volume = 2e-300. Total volume = 3.34833e-295. Cell volumes OK.
#0 Foam::error::printStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1 Foam::sigFpe::sigHandler(int) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2 in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#3 acos in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6"
#4 Foam::polyMesh::checkFaceOrthogonality(Foam::Field <Foam::Vector<double> > const&, Foam::Field<Foam::Vector<double> > const&, bool, bool, Foam::HashSet<int, Foam::Hash<int> >*) const in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#5
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/checkMesh"
#6
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/checkMesh"
#7 __libc_start_main in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#8
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/checkMesh"
Floating point exception (core dumped)

What are mistakes in this blockMeshDict....
New blockMesh for cyclic BC is attached here


you need to put neighbour patch as front and back instead of axis.

Ehsan.Mn January 5, 2015 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahcai007 (Post 447073)
Hi all,

I am running a 1 degree angle wedge case using sprayFoam (OF-2.2.x) for diesel spray simulation. The injector is placed along the axis-symmetrical line.

When I extract the Liquid Penetration Length (LPL), the LPL is found to be fluctuating. Refer to the attachments. However, vapour penetration length (VPL) does not face this problem.

When LPL is extracted using dieselFoam (OF-2.0.x), the fluctuation did not happen. So, I am suspecting it is a coding problem in sprayFoam 2.2.x. I am still new to OpenFOAM thus solving this code problem would be a tough challenge for me.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!


Attached is the sprayCloudProperties and blockMeshDict if needed.

Thanks.


Ong

Hi ahcai
my project is exactly similiar to your work and I am running a 1 degree angle wedge case using sprayFoam (OF-2.3.x) for diesel spray simulation. The injector is placed along the axis-symmetrical line.
can you help me how to extract the Liquid Penetration Length (LPL) and vapour penetration length (VPL)?
thanks.

alvariten July 26, 2015 07:18

plot liquid penetration length
 
Quote:

When I extract the Liquid Penetration Length (LPL), the LPL is found to be fluctuating. Refer to the attachments. However, vapour penetration length (VPL) does not face this problem.
Hi Ah Cai,
I want display the parameteres LPL and VPL in paraview, and then extract the values to plot (without have to write a post-processing function if it's possilbe). Could you explain me how did you get this values?
Thanks.
PD: I'm using sprayFoam in OF v2.3.0


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:33.