CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD

Fluctuating Liquid Penetration for Wedge sprayFoam

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   August 21, 2013, 05:17
Red face Fluctuating Liquid Penetration for Wedge sprayFoam
  #1
New Member
 
Ah Cai
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 5
ahcai007 is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

I am running a 1 degree angle wedge case using sprayFoam (OF-2.2.x) for diesel spray simulation. The injector is placed along the axis-symmetrical line.

When I extract the Liquid Penetration Length (LPL), the LPL is found to be fluctuating. Refer to the attachments. However, vapour penetration length (VPL) does not face this problem.

When LPL is extracted using dieselFoam (OF-2.0.x), the fluctuation did not happen. So, I am suspecting it is a coding problem in sprayFoam 2.2.x. I am still new to OpenFOAM thus solving this code problem would be a tough challenge for me.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!


Attached is the sprayCloudProperties and blockMeshDict if needed.

Thanks.


Ong
Attached Images
File Type: jpg liquid penetration.jpg (72.9 KB, 15 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt sprayCloudProperties.txt (4.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: txt blockMeshDict.txt (1.6 KB, 10 views)
ahcai007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 21, 2013, 11:07
Default
  #2
New Member
 
RJ HO
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21
Rep Power: 3
RJ87 is on a distinguished road
HI,

I have a question that is not relevant to yours.

Do you happen to have any problem with total injected mass? I have been having problems with incorrect injected mass on wedge cases.

Regards
RJ
RJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 6, 2014, 02:45
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 3
apk1509 is on a distinguished road
Hi..

I am new to OF and trying to run a 5 degree angle wedge case using sprayFoam
But I get following Error:

BlockMeshDict is attacjed for refernce.

Thanks In Advance:

Error is::
Solving cloud sprayCloud
Cloud: sprayCloud
Current number of parcels = 6
Current mass in system = 7.94663e-10 /** Expected Mass is 8.33e-8 kg for 5 deg.**//
Linear momentum = (-2.3317e+09 0 2.94384e+09)
|Linear momentum| = 3.7554e+09
Linear kinetic energy = 3.06861e+28
Rotational kinetic energy = 0
model1:
number of parcels added = 6
mass introduced = 7.95718e-10
Parcels absorbed into film = 0
New film detached parcels = 0
Parcel fate (number, mass)
- escape = 0, 0
- stick = 0, 0
Temperature min/max = 320.367, 371.071
Mass transfer phase change = 1.055e-12
D10, D32, Dmax (mu) = 2.28102e-12, 8.01824e-12, 1089.75
Liquid penetration 95% mass (m) = 0.000159027

diagonal: Solving for rho, Initial residual = 0, Final residual = 0, No Iterations 0
#0 Foam::error:rintStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1 Foam::sigFpe::sigHandler(int) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2 in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#3 void Foam::multiply<Foam::Tensor<double> >(Foam::Field<Foam::Tensor<double> >&, Foam::UList<double> const&, Foam::UList<Foam::Tensor<double> > const&) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so"
#4 Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Tensor<double >, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > Foam:perator*<Foam::Tensor<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>(Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<doub le, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > const&, Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Tensor<double >, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > const&) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so"
#5 Foam::compressible::RASModels::kEpsilon::divDevRho Reff(Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Vector<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>&) const in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libcompressibleRASModels.so"
#6
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/sprayFoam"
#7 __libc_start_main in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#8
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/sprayFoam"
Floating point exception (core dumped)
aniket@aniket-Inspiron-N5110:~/OpenFOAM/aniket-2.2.1/run/tutorials/lagrangian/sprayFoam/aachenBomb$
Attached Files
File Type: txt blockMeshDict.txt (1.7 KB, 9 views)
apk1509 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 29, 2014, 09:08
Default
  #4
New Member
 
Ah Cai
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 5
ahcai007 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ87 View Post
HI,

I have a question that is not relevant to yours.

Do you happen to have any problem with total injected mass? I have been having problems with incorrect injected mass on wedge cases.

Regards
RJ
Hi,

Yes. If im not mistaken i was also having a problem with incorrect mass injected.

I have stopped using OF22x and revert to an older version, i.e. OF20x which seems to have less problem for my wedge case. Sorry but I think I might not be much help in OF22x~

Cheers
ahcai007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 29, 2014, 09:10
Default
  #5
New Member
 
Ah Cai
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 5
ahcai007 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by apk1509 View Post
Hi..

I am new to OF and trying to run a 5 degree angle wedge case using sprayFoam
But I get following Error:

BlockMeshDict is attacjed for refernce.

Thanks In Advance:

Error is::
Solving cloud sprayCloud
Cloud: sprayCloud
Current number of parcels = 6
Current mass in system = 7.94663e-10 /** Expected Mass is 8.33e-8 kg for 5 deg.**//
Linear momentum = (-2.3317e+09 0 2.94384e+09)
|Linear momentum| = 3.7554e+09
Linear kinetic energy = 3.06861e+28
Rotational kinetic energy = 0
model1:
number of parcels added = 6
mass introduced = 7.95718e-10
Parcels absorbed into film = 0
New film detached parcels = 0
Parcel fate (number, mass)
- escape = 0, 0
- stick = 0, 0
Temperature min/max = 320.367, 371.071
Mass transfer phase change = 1.055e-12
D10, D32, Dmax (mu) = 2.28102e-12, 8.01824e-12, 1089.75
Liquid penetration 95% mass (m) = 0.000159027

diagonal: Solving for rho, Initial residual = 0, Final residual = 0, No Iterations 0
#0 Foam::error:rintStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1 Foam::sigFpe::sigHandler(int) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2 in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#3 void Foam::multiply<Foam::Tensor<double> >(Foam::Field<Foam::Tensor<double> >&, Foam::UList<double> const&, Foam::UList<Foam::Tensor<double> > const&) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so"
#4 Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Tensor<double >, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > Foam:perator*<Foam::Tensor<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>(Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<doub le, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > const&, Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Tensor<double >, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > const&) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so"
#5 Foam::compressible::RASModels::kEpsilon::divDevRho Reff(Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Vector<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>&) const in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libcompressibleRASModels.so"
#6
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/sprayFoam"
#7 __libc_start_main in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#8
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/sprayFoam"
Floating point exception (core dumped)
aniket@aniket-Inspiron-N5110:~/OpenFOAM/aniket-2.2.1/run/tutorials/lagrangian/sprayFoam/aachenBomb$
Hi,

Did you run checkMesh?? Did it show an error? if no, then most likely is not your mesh problem, might be your settings problem~
ahcai007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 29, 2014, 17:14
Default same error different case
  #6
New Member
 
david mckelvey
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 2
dmck is on a distinguished road
hi

i got the same error message, I'm running a transient, compressible gas pipe flow simulation, using sonicFoam

i get the following error after 0.01482 sec with a time step of 1e-05, according to checkMesh my mesh is ok, I'm guessing its something to do with the settings, but I'm not sure what exactly

Time = 0.01483

Courant Number mean: -1.84532e+55 max: 5.6429e+58
diagonal: Solving for rho, Initial residual = 0, Final residual = 0, No Iterations 0
#0 Foam::error:rintStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/opt/openfoam201/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1 Foam::sigFpe::sigHandler(int) in "/opt/openfoam201/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2 in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#3 void Foam::multiply<Foam::Tensor<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>(Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Tensor<d ouble>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>&, Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Tensor<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&) in "/opt/openfoam201/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libcompressibleTurbulenceModel.so"
#4 Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Tensor<double >, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > Foam:perator*<Foam::Tensor<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>(Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<doub le, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > const&, Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Tensor<double >, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > const&) in "/opt/openfoam201/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libcompressibleTurbulenceModel.so"
#5 Foam::compressible::RASModels::RNGkEpsilon::divDev RhoReff(Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Vector<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>&) const in "/opt/openfoam201/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libcompressibleRASModels.so"
#6
in "/opt/openfoam201/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/sonicFoam"
#7 __libc_start_main in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#8
in "/opt/openfoam201/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/sonicFoam"
Floating point exception (core dumped)

I would like to know what is causing this error, or where would be a good place to start looking to resolve the issue

any advice would be welcome


David
dmck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 29, 2014, 18:00
Default
  #7
Senior Member
 
mturcios777's Avatar
 
Marco A. Turcios
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 673
Rep Power: 17
mturcios777 will become famous soon enough
When you say your injector is on the axis, do you mean directly on the axis? Which direction is it pointing? And how are you extracting the penetration length?
mturcios777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 7, 2014, 10:19
Default
  #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 3
apk1509 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahcai007 View Post
Hi,

Did you run checkMesh?? Did it show an error? if no, then most likely is not your mesh problem, might be your settings problem~
Hi ahcai007,
First, pardon me for too late reply,,

I ran checkMesh ..and it showed:

(note: here BC used is cyclic)



Create time

Create polyMesh for time = 0

Time = 0

Mesh stats
points: 174023
faces: 510081
internal faces: 494419
cells: 168100
faces per cell: 5.97561
boundary patches: 6
point zones: 0
face zones: 0
cell zones: 0

Overall number of cells of each type:
hexahedra: 164000
prisms: 4100
wedges: 0
pyramids: 0
tet wedges: 0
tetrahedra: 0
polyhedra: 0

Checking topology...
Boundary definition OK.
Cell to face addressing OK.
Point usage OK.
Upper triangular ordering OK.
Face vertices OK.
Number of regions: 1 (OK).

Checking patch topology for multiply connected surfaces...
Patch Faces Points Surface topology
front 4100 4242 ok (non-closed singly connected)
back 4100 4242 ok (non-closed singly connected)
tankWall 4100 4242 ok (non-closed singly connected)
inlet 1681 1723 ok (non-closed singly connected)
outlet 1681 1723 ok (non-closed singly connected)
axis 0 0 ok (empty)

Checking geometry...
Overall domain bounding box (0 -0.00349 0) (0.099939 0.00349 1)
Mesh (non-empty, non-wedge) directions (1 1 1)
Mesh (non-empty) directions (1 1 1)
Boundary openness (5.27124e-15 -6.19357e-17 9.43227e-18) OK.
***High aspect ratio cells found, Max aspect ratio: 5.98308e+194, number of cells 168100
<<Writing 168100 cells with high aspect ratio to set highAspectRatioCells
Minimum face area = 5.06068e-09. Maximum face area = 2.43902e-05. Face area magnitudes OK.
Min volume = 1.66667e-300. Max volume = 2e-300. Total volume = 3.34833e-295. Cell volumes OK.
#0 Foam::error:rintStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1 Foam::sigFpe::sigHandler(int) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2 in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#3 acos in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6"
#4 Foam:olyMesh::checkFaceOrthogonality(Foam::Field <Foam::Vector<double> > const&, Foam::Field<Foam::Vector<double> > const&, bool, bool, Foam::HashSet<int, Foam::Hash<int> >*) const in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#5
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/checkMesh"
#6
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/checkMesh"
#7 __libc_start_main in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#8
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/checkMesh"
Floating point exception (core dumped)

What are mistakes in this blockMeshDict....
New blockMesh for cyclic BC is attached here
Attached Files
File Type: txt blockMeshDict_cyclic.txt (2.1 KB, 5 views)
apk1509 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 19, 2014, 10:59
Default
  #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
amolrajan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by apk1509 View Post
Hi ahcai007,
First, pardon me for too late reply,,

I ran checkMesh ..and it showed:

(note: here BC used is cyclic)



Create time

Create polyMesh for time = 0

Time = 0

Mesh stats
points: 174023
faces: 510081
internal faces: 494419
cells: 168100
faces per cell: 5.97561
boundary patches: 6
point zones: 0
face zones: 0
cell zones: 0

Overall number of cells of each type:
hexahedra: 164000
prisms: 4100
wedges: 0
pyramids: 0
tet wedges: 0
tetrahedra: 0
polyhedra: 0

Checking topology...
Boundary definition OK.
Cell to face addressing OK.
Point usage OK.
Upper triangular ordering OK.
Face vertices OK.
Number of regions: 1 (OK).

Checking patch topology for multiply connected surfaces...
Patch Faces Points Surface topology
front 4100 4242 ok (non-closed singly connected)
back 4100 4242 ok (non-closed singly connected)
tankWall 4100 4242 ok (non-closed singly connected)
inlet 1681 1723 ok (non-closed singly connected)
outlet 1681 1723 ok (non-closed singly connected)
axis 0 0 ok (empty)

Checking geometry...
Overall domain bounding box (0 -0.00349 0) (0.099939 0.00349 1)
Mesh (non-empty, non-wedge) directions (1 1 1)
Mesh (non-empty) directions (1 1 1)
Boundary openness (5.27124e-15 -6.19357e-17 9.43227e-18) OK.
***High aspect ratio cells found, Max aspect ratio: 5.98308e+194, number of cells 168100
<<Writing 168100 cells with high aspect ratio to set highAspectRatioCells
Minimum face area = 5.06068e-09. Maximum face area = 2.43902e-05. Face area magnitudes OK.
Min volume = 1.66667e-300. Max volume = 2e-300. Total volume = 3.34833e-295. Cell volumes OK.
#0 Foam::error:rintStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1 Foam::sigFpe::sigHandler(int) in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2 in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#3 acos in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6"
#4 Foam:olyMesh::checkFaceOrthogonality(Foam::Field <Foam::Vector<double> > const&, Foam::Field<Foam::Vector<double> > const&, bool, bool, Foam::HashSet<int, Foam::Hash<int> >*) const in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#5
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/checkMesh"
#6
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/checkMesh"
#7 __libc_start_main in "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6"
#8
in "/opt/openfoam221/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/checkMesh"
Floating point exception (core dumped)

What are mistakes in this blockMeshDict....
New blockMesh for cyclic BC is attached here

you need to put neighbour patch as front and back instead of axis.
amolrajan is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
diesel, liquid penetration length, spray simulation, sprayfoam

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extracting Liquid Penetration Length ahcai007 OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 5 May 16, 2014 12:03
sprayFoam crashes lukasfischer OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 3 July 14, 2013 11:08
Liquid penetration length and lift-off length lunar1984 STAR-CD 2 June 16, 2013 16:14
ploting liquid penetration mooyii OpenFOAM 2 September 9, 2011 18:24
Need some help for total liquid fraction linus FLUENT 0 December 19, 2006 03:29


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 15:04.