Use of two different turbulence models at the same simulation

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   April 29, 2014, 11:00
Default Use of two different turbulence models at the same simulation
Agustín Villa
agustinvo is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone,

I am studying the heat transfer in a channel flow, where I have to use a turbulence model to close the Reynolds stresses (in my case, the Wilcox k-Omega model) and other one to model the turbulent heat transfer. I am using a modified SimpleFoam as a solver.

Following the paper I have, it is said to apply at first place the k-Omega model, and after that the heat transfer model. This implies that I have to use two turbulence models, and I only can write one in the RASProperties file.

I have different options:
  • Run two simulations (one for each model), modifying RASProperties tochange the turbulence model
  • Modify the solver, to solve at the begining the momentum equation, and continue with the energy equation, so I have to run two loops of iterations
  • Modify how OpenFOAM reads the RASProperties file, giving one of these models,

Since I have no administrator access, and I will use this approach in a cluster, which option do you think is more easy to implement? Maybe the thing I need is just a few Linux commands. Could it be a way to use a second RASProperties file?

Thank you in advance!
agustinvo is offline   Reply With Quote

rasproperties, simplefoam, turbulence models