CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/)
-   -   Supersonic Flow through Nozzle (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/58855-supersonic-flow-through-nozzle.html)

varun May 28, 2008 02:49

Hi I am trying to simulate

Hi

I am trying to simulate a supersonic flow enteric a nozze of the shape
-----------------
--------------------
----------------------
--------------------------------------
INLET--------------------------------- OUTLET
----------------------
----------------------
-----------------

I am using rhoSonicFoam solver. My Inlet is supersonicInlet (U, P, T specified) with flow enetring at Mach 3. My outlet is exptrapolated outlet and I specified the walls to be adiabatic.

The solutions converges intitilally. A normal shock wave is formed that moves towards right until it reaches start of the converging section. After that the shock wave start moving towards left (towards inlet) and as it reaches the inlet the solution diverges.

Can somebody please help me wtih this.

Thanks in advace.

Varun

sega May 28, 2008 13:56

The shock wave will move to th

The shock wave will move to the smalles area of your nozzle in case the pressure inside the nozzle is really smaller than the outside pressure. Than the shock wave is "getting" the pressure to outside niveau.

Is it possible that this mechanism is vice-versa and the shock wave moves to bigger areas?
Maybe you should check on your pressure?

It's just a thought ...

varun May 29, 2008 02:31

Thanks Sebastian. I found o

Thanks Sebastian.

I found out a solution. Extending the domain far from the nozzle inlet/outlet, and applying the boundary conditions at these far boundaries solves the problem.

zaw September 26, 2009 11:25

nozzle flow simulation

Dear Varun and all
if you have any example of nozzle flow simulation, share me please to tunzawcn@gmail.com.
Thanks

upal_arif May 24, 2012 00:21

Looking for Qualified freelancer

Looking for qualified freelancer to simulate supersonic flow through C-D nozzle using fluent 6.2.16

please contact upal_arif@yahoo.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaw (Post 230595)
Dear Varun and all
if you have any example of nozzle flow simulation, share me please to tunzawcn@gmail.com.
Thanks

upal_arif May 24, 2012 00:23

Looking for qualified freelancer to simulate supersonic flow through C-D nozzle using fluent 6.2.16

please contact upal_arif@yahoo.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by sega (Post 201957)
The shock wave will move to the smalles area of your nozzle in case the pressure inside the nozzle is really smaller than the outside pressure. Than the shock wave is "getting" the pressure to outside niveau.

Is it possible that this mechanism is vice-versa and the shock wave moves to bigger areas?
Maybe you should check on your pressure?

It's just a thought ...

robdeb October 9, 2012 03:55

Hello,
I'm looking for an example of a supersonic flow in a nozzle.
If you have that for me, you contact me at this email address: robdeb90@hotmail.com

Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by varun (Post 201956)
Hi

I am trying to simulate a supersonic flow enteric a nozze of the shape
-----------------
--------------------
----------------------
--------------------------------------
INLET--------------------------------- OUTLET
----------------------
----------------------
-----------------

I am using rhoSonicFoam solver. My Inlet is supersonicInlet (U, P, T specified) with flow enetring at Mach 3. My outlet is exptrapolated outlet and I specified the walls to be adiabatic.

The solutions converges intitilally. A normal shock wave is formed that moves towards right until it reaches start of the converging section. After that the shock wave start moving towards left (towards inlet) and as it reaches the inlet the solution diverges.

Can somebody please help me wtih this.

Thanks in advace.

Varun