CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD (
-   -   Could anyone give me a LES simulation step by step (

andycong February 7, 2006 22:33

Because I am very new in CFD a
Because I am very new in CFD and Foam, now my thesis is about the CFD,so I want somebody's help.

fabianpk February 8, 2006 03:46

What do you mean? Do you want
What do you mean? Do you want a finished LES simulation and look at the solution at each step? Or do you want someone to take you through what a solver for LES problems like coodles does?

If the case is the former, I suggest a tutorial (OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.2/tutorials/oodles), if the case is the latter, I suggest a course in CFD, and THEN a course in turbulence and LES. Or you could read a book, I would recommend "Computational Methods for Fluid Dynamics" by Ferziger and Peric. Or the more basic, "An introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics" by Versteeg and Malalasekera.

vvqf February 8, 2006 04:23

Fabian has given very good sug
Fabian has given very good suggestions.

in addition:
for LES solver, take a look at page U-85 in Foam UserGuide, there's short description.
OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.2/tutorials/oodles - incompressible
OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.2/tutorials/coodles - compressible

CFD - turbulence modeling - LES
"Turbulence Modeling for CFD" by DC Wilcox
free: ex.htm

If you could state your problem clear and specific in the future, it would help the others give you better help.

fabianpk February 8, 2006 05:00

Well, if someone should be pro
Well, if someone should be promoting chalmers material, it's us who work here If you like the one above by Prof. Lars Davidson about turbulence models (simple k-epsilon and RSM models), go on and read the ones on LES on:

andycong February 13, 2006 22:17

Very Thanks, Now I will follow
Very Thanks, Now I will follow your suggestion.
Thanks again.
If some problems, please allow me to bother you again.