CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD (
-   -   groovyWaveTank (

egp April 16, 2009 15:01

Here's something that might be of interest to people working in ship hydro/offshore structures/marine renewables:

I've put together a small example of using groovyBC to generate waves. You can read about and download it from the groovyBC openfoamwiki.

To see it in action, you can download a few movies using the following links

1. cylinder in waves

2. overturning box in waves

Thanks, Bernhard for creating groovyBC...

ngj April 17, 2009 08:18

Hi Eric

Wow, that really looks nice.

GroovyBC is truely a multipurpose tool!

Have a nice weekend,

egp April 17, 2009 08:37

Hi Niels,

When working on this, I was thinking of your wave BC and how to handle partial cells. I think the right approach will be to use the point functions (pts, and toFace), instead of the face-centres, however, that functionality is currently broken in 1.5-dev (the last time I checked). Once that is working, then I think it would duplicate your BC.

Of course, the real challenge is implementing wave spectra. It that case, it is probably better to go with a custom BC instead of groovyBC.

ngj April 17, 2009 08:53

Hi Eric

Yes, I agree. What is the progress on your BC, I noted one place that the release was in working progress? Have you implemented irregular waves?
I must admit that I for a very short second I thought that the custom made BCs had suffered a huge blow. However as I am working with stream function waves, this would be rather tedious to apply using groovyBC.

Best regards,