CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/)
-   -   Fatal Error in file POSIX.C (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/72477-fatal-error-file-posix-c.html)

sandy February 7, 2010 08:49

Fatal Error in file POSIX.C

Hi foamers,

When I run "decomposePar" to my case, I got error stories again as follow:

--> FOAM FATAL ERROR:

Couldn't creat directory "/home/user/OpenFOAM/user-1.6.x/tutorials/multiphase/interPhaseChangeFoam/cavitatingBullet/processor1"

From function Foam::mkDir(const fileName&, mode_t)
in file POSIX.C at line 423.FOAM exiting

I check the POSIX.C file at line 423, the code were written as follows:

default:
{
FatalErrorIn("Foam::mkDir(const fileName&, mode_t)")
<< "Couldn't create directory " << pathName
<< exit(FatalError);

return false;
}

What is wrong with it? Who can help me out? Thanks.

Sandy

wyldckat February 7, 2010 19:51

Greetings Sandy,

Have you tried making the directory manually? There might already be a file named "processor1" or you might have reduced permissions on the case folder, for some strange reason...

So, try this:
Code:

mkdir /home/user/OpenFOAM/user-1.6.x/tutorials/multiphase/interPhaseChangeFoam/cavitatingBullet/processor1
If that also gives an error, than try:
Code:

ls -la /home/user/OpenFOAM/user-1.6.x/tutorials/multiphase/interPhaseChangeFoam/cavitatingBullet/
If that also gives out and error saying "not found", than there might be some misconfiguration somewhere... like for example:
  • your user name in your Linux box isn't "user", and for some reason, the environment variables got mixed when defined by the bashrc script at $HOME/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.6.x/etc;
  • the file decomposeParDict (if I'm not mistaken) has the address to the case folder mistyped;
  • you might have launched decomposePar with the -case argument, and didn't provide the correct address.
Now, in case the command ls -la does give you a list of files and folders, check for the existence of a file or folder processor1, or check the permissions and ownership of the files and folders present there.

Additionally, in case you edited out your true user name and put in "user", it could be due to your user name having special characters or spaces in the name, thus making OpenFOAM to throw an error... although in Linux that shouldn't be an issue.

Best regards,
Bruno Santos

sandy February 7, 2010 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 245281)
Greetings Sandy,

Have you tried making the directory manually? There might already be a file named "processor1" or you might have reduced permissions on the case folder, for some strange reason...

So, try this:
Code:

mkdir /home/user/OpenFOAM/user-1.6.x/tutorials/multiphase/interPhaseChangeFoam/cavitatingBullet/processor1
If that also gives an error, than try:
Code:

ls -la /home/user/OpenFOAM/user-1.6.x/tutorials/multiphase/interPhaseChangeFoam/cavitatingBullet/
If that also gives out and error saying "not found", than there might be some misconfiguration somewhere... like for example:
  • your user name in your Linux box isn't "user", and for some reason, the environment variables got mixed when defined by the bashrc script at $HOME/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.6.x/etc;
  • the file decomposeParDict (if I'm not mistaken) has the address to the case folder mistyped;
  • you might have launched decomposePar with the -case argument, and didn't provide the correct address.
Now, in case the command ls -la does give you a list of files and folders, check for the existence of a file or folder processor1, or check the permissions and ownership of the files and folders present there.

Additionally, in case you edited out your true user name and put in "user", it could be due to your user name having special characters or spaces in the name, thus making OpenFOAM to throw an error... although in Linux that shouldn't be an issue.

Best regards,
Bruno Santos

If that, sir, how and when I can get the passport, you think? :(

Ahmed February 8, 2010 00:00

Your error message, openfoam cannot create a directory, and Bruno Santos is telling you to create this folder manually and see what is wrong there

sandy February 8, 2010 07:25

:eek: :D :p WOW, it is amazing ... I solved them! Thanks, anyway...

Ahmed February 8, 2010 16:49

Lee
I do not read private messages, you have anything to say, say it here.
Again, the openfoam error message is very clear, the programme cannot create the folder, see why

sandy February 8, 2010 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahmed (Post 245400)
Lee
I do not read private messages, you have anything to say, say it here.
Again, the openfoam error message is very clear,

Hi Ahmed, Children can not know even simple words, Who can teach them, you think?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahmed (Post 245400)
the programme cannot create the folder, see why

Why? ..

wyldckat February 9, 2010 07:05

Hi Sandy,

Can you run:
Code:

And post the output here?

Best regards,
Bruno