CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD (
-   -   how to set up wall function in bubbleFoam (

adouchihiitoko October 17, 2010 03:05

how to set up wall function in bubbleFoam
I try to calculate turbulent bubbly flow by bubbleFoam. I don't know how to set up wall function in k and epsilon file in 0 folder since "bubbleColumn" tutorial doesn't treat turbulent flow and wall function. I suppose that "zeroGradient" is unreasonable. Can anyone help me?

alberto October 18, 2010 14:51

Please, check the code. Wall-functions in bubbleFoam are coded directly in the solver and automatically applied when the turbulence model is active.

adouchihiitoko October 24, 2010 04:16

I found all files related turbulence e.g. wallfunctions.* are in \applications\solvers\multiohase\bubbleFoam.

Franz_J November 4, 2010 08:18

Hi Adouchihihiitoko
Did you manage to get bubbleFoam to solve with turbulence as the RASModel ? I get the following messages,

keyword laplacian(DepsilonEff,epsilon) is undefined in dictionary "/home/f/OpenFOAM/f-1.7.0/working2/sludge2D/test2/system/fvSchemes::laplacianSchemes"

file: /home/f/OpenFOAM/f-1.7.0/working2/test2/system/fvSchemes::laplacianSchemes from line 42 to line 45.

From function dictionary::lookupEntry(const word&, bool, bool) const
in file db/dictionary/dictionary.C at line 395.

l_r_mcglashan November 4, 2010 08:57

Just add the entry into system/fvSchemes, and be careful using the turbulence model, it's very basic! Remember it's not using the turbulence libraries that can be used for single phase flows, so the only entry it uses in the RAS dictionary is turbulence on/off.

If you look in kEpsilon.H:

// Dissipation equation
    fvScalarMatrix epsEqn
        fvm::ddt(beta, epsilon)
      + fvm::div(phib, epsilon)
      - fvm::laplacian
            alphaEps*nuEffb, epsilon,
      - fvm::Sp(C2*beta*epsilon/k, epsilon)

You can see that for the laplacian discretisation the scheme is looked up in the fvSchemes dictionary.

Franz_J November 5, 2010 06:59

thanks Laurence
I did that and it's working. Now I'm running some test cases and it crashes after abut 50 time steps, Ur Courant number tends to diverge, but I can fiddle with it,
thanks again