CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/)
-   -   internal field question - PitzDaily Case (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/84333-internal-field-question-pitzdaily-case.html)

atareen64 January 26, 2011 12:37

internal field question - PitzDaily Case

Hello Foamers,

I am new to openFOAM, but I have to learn a lot really fast. I was trying to understand everything by going through the example cases; I have a question about the internal field of the velocity file in the 0 sub-directory of Pitz Daily case. The velocity internal field is non-uniform and contains a list of many many velocity vectors. My question is, How are all those velocity vectors generated?

As a starting case, I want to pass air through a very simple geometry, like for instance a rectangular block with a nozzle at the outlet: I know how to generate the mesh and define the inlet and outlet and wall patches. But I basically don't know how to set the fields properly and I don't want uniform air flow through out. I want the flow to be non-uniform so that it's slightly closer to reality. How can I do this? Where do I start?

More easily stated, I want to flow air at an inlet and observe the resulting pattern/streamlines in the rest of the geometry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if the question is confusing or silly.

Thank you.

chegdan January 26, 2011 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by atareen64 (Post 292302)
Hello Foamers,

I am new to openFOAM, but I have to learn a lot really fast. I was trying to understand everything by going through the example cases; I have a question about the internal field of the velocity file in the 0 sub-directory of Pitz Daily case. The velocity internal field is non-uniform and contains a list of many many velocity vectors. My question is, How are all those velocity vectors generated?

As a starting case, I want to pass air through a very simple geometry, like for instance a rectangular block with a nozzle at the outlet: I know how to generate the mesh and define the inlet and outlet and wall patches. But I basically don't know how to set the fields properly and I don't want uniform air flow through out. I want the flow to be non-uniform so that it's slightly closer to reality. How can I do this? Where do I start?

More easily stated, I want to flow air at an inlet and observe the resulting pattern/streamlines in the rest of the geometry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if the question is confusing or silly.

Thank you.

you might want to use potentialFoam to initialize your flow field for your simlpefoam solver. There are a few additions to the fvSolutions and fvSchemes files...and nOrthogonalCorrectors. Overall its pretty simple and gives a good initial guess for simplefoam. hope this helps.

Dan

atareen64 January 26, 2011 16:26

Thanks Dan!