CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD (
-   -   Help with pimpleFoam (

fcortes February 8, 2011 07:37

Help with pimpleFoam
Hello everyone,

Iím using pimpleFoam to simulate a 3D flow on a very small irregular tube (total volume around 2e-7; 150000 elements (tetrahedral)). Iíve used the files of T-junction tutorial as a base. Iím also using GroovyBC to make the pulsatile velocity with a parabolic profile at the inlet and the pressure at the outlet. Turbulence model is a RAS kOmega and the fluid is Newtonian.

Iíve achieved convergence with pulses with top inlet velocity around 0.6 (Re=450). The minimum time step then was 1.8e-5. The problem is that I canít achieve convergence with higher inlet velocities (Re=650 to 800). Iíve tried a lot of combinations of correctors (1 to 4), nonOrthogonalCorrectors (1 to 4), outerCorrectos (1 to 4), maxCo (1 to 0.5) and relaxation factors (1 to 0.05). I always get a blowout close to the top velocity but sometimes at a velocity lower than the top velocity of the case that worked, which to me is very weird.

If someone knows what I can do to solve this (or needs more info to do so) please let me know.
Thanks in advance!

1988 June 26, 2014 09:46

Hello Fransisco
I have ctuck in a problem the same as yours ,did you find an answer?
please help me tanks

fcortes June 26, 2014 11:31

Nop, I ended up simulating those cases in fluent.
Good luck!