icoUncoupledKinematicParcelFoam

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   September 18, 2011, 03:26
Default icoUncoupledKinematicParcelFoam

Abbas
kamranian is on a distinguished road
Hi Foamers,

I`m particularly interested in DEM-CFD coupling. My question is about icoUncoupledKinematicParcelFoam. The solver name includes `uncoupled` which leads me to the conclusion that is not capable of solving coupled problems.
Could please anybody clarify if coupling by interaction of fluid and particles (forces) is already possible in OpenFoam v2.0 or if the coupling is still work in progress ?
If OpenFoam v2.0 already includes some coupling functionality what source files should I look at ?
I also checked the doxygen documentation and could not find anything about icoUncoupledKinematicParcelFoam solver yet.
Is there any document or tutorial that shown the procedure of modeling and modeling parameters?

Best Regards,
A. Kamranian
kamranian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 20, 2011, 10:42

Astrid Mahrla
AMahrla is on a distinguished road
Hi!

The icoUncoupledKinematicParcelFoam is only a coupled solver in the sense that particle-particle interaction is considered. Any coupling between fluid and particulate phase is neglected.

Please refer also to this thread!

Best,

Astrid
AMahrla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 21, 2011, 04:04

Abbas
kamranian is on a distinguished road
Dear Astrid,

Thank you for your reply. If it is possible to couple this solver with fluid interaction? I am interested to use CFD-DEM to simulation of four-way coupling via OpenFOAM. Can I do it in OpenFOAM? Do you have any recommand for me?

Regards,
A. Kamranian
kamranian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 21, 2011, 05:40

Astrid Mahrla
AMahrla is on a distinguished road
Hi again!

The implementation of coupling to the continuous phase should be possible, but IMO you have to dig into the code around the particle class which is not THAT top level..

Maybe you can find a starting point within the tutorials on extend-wiki and get to know the implementation of particles in OpenFOAM?

Best,

Astrid
AMahrla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 18, 2011, 10:28

Tibor Nyers
Toorop is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I'm investigating how to track particles within the fluid domain in OpenFOAM.

Initially, I thought that there's a simple method to perform one-way coupling with basic solvers (icoFoam, pisoFoam, pimpleFoam) - solidParticle class describes itself as a spherical particle class with one-way coupling with the continuous phase. Unfortunately didn't find anything. Instead, there's some tutorials about how to "hack" it into a desired solver. So is there an elegant interface where one can describe passive particle (parcel) cloud / emission?

At first, I thought that icoUncoupledKinematicParcelFoam can handle this sort of simulations - is it possible to couple this with another solver?
Toorop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 18, 2013, 06:01

Mattia
gara1988 is on a distinguished road
Hello Toorop, Have you find a solution of you question? I have the same problem.
gara1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 14, 2014, 13:05

Damiano Natali
rama13 is on a distinguished road
Hi Foamers,

I have a very simple question for you.

1) icoUncoupledKinematicParcelFoam solves for the interaction between particles as pointed out here (and if you look into the code no continuum phase is solved).

2) in the User Guide it is describerd as "Transient solver for the passive transport of a single kinematic particle could"

3) if you look into the case directory there is a 0/U field in which (my guess) you can set the velocity field at which your particles get convected away, and I think is what has been done in this nice video.

My question is: if particles get carried away by the fluid

1) they cannot bump into other particles since two streamlines does not collide (so no need to solve interaction)

2) even if they would, they will get a different momentum from the fluid particles they are going with, so they will be no more "passive"?!

I hope someone more expert than me can point me out the clue!

Thanks for your attention,
Damiano
rama13 is offline   Reply With Quote