CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/)
-   -   move wall and refine mesh at fluid interface (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/94305-move-wall-refine-mesh-fluid-interface.html)

Jimbomet November 11, 2011 09:38

move wall and refine mesh at fluid interface

I'm trying to solve a multiphase problem with a wall that simply moves in x direction, using interDyMFoam and I used, in the dynamicMeshDict :

dynamicFvMesh dynamicMotionSolverFvMesh;
motionSolverLibs ( "libfvMotionSolvers.so" );
solver velocityComponentLaplacian x;
diffusivity directional (200 1 0)

but now I want to introduce also a refinement of the mesh near to the interface of two fluids, say in the same file:

dynamicFvMesh dynamicRefineFvMesh;
dynamicRefineFvMeshCoeffs
{
refineInterval 1;
field alpha1;
lowerRefineLevel 0.001;
upperRefineLevel 0.999;
unrefineLevel 10;
nBufferLayers 1;
maxRefinement 2;
maxCells 500000;
correctFluxes
(
(phi
U)
);
dumpLevel true;
}

and I don't know how to impose the two different dynamic meshing together...can someone give me an idea?? thanks a lot, I can't solve this problem ...

Prosper March 4, 2014 13:00

Same question!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbomet (Post 331725)
I'm trying to solve a multiphase problem with a wall that simply moves in x direction, using interDyMFoam and I used, in the dynamicMeshDict :

dynamicFvMesh dynamicMotionSolverFvMesh;
motionSolverLibs ( "libfvMotionSolvers.so" );
solver velocityComponentLaplacian x;
diffusivity directional (200 1 0)

but now I want to introduce also a refinement of the mesh near to the interface of two fluids, say in the same file:

dynamicFvMesh dynamicRefineFvMesh;
dynamicRefineFvMeshCoeffs
{
refineInterval 1;
field alpha1;
lowerRefineLevel 0.001;
upperRefineLevel 0.999;
unrefineLevel 10;
nBufferLayers 1;
maxRefinement 2;
maxCells 500000;
correctFluxes
(
(phi
U)
);
dumpLevel true;
}

and I don't know how to impose the two different dynamic meshing together...can someone give me an idea?? thanks a lot, I can't solve this problem ...

wyldckat March 4, 2014 13:29

Greetings to all!

I don't think OpenFOAM has this implemented yet. Well, at least not in interDyMFoam.

In theory, it's just a matter of creating a custom solver based on interDyMFoam, adding code for performing a second dynamic mesh operation, on top of the first one.

Best regards,
Bruno

Prosper March 4, 2014 13:33

Thanks! Will try that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 478083)
Greetings to all!

I don't think OpenFOAM has this implemented yet. Well, at least not in interDyMFoam.

In theory, it's just a matter of creating a custom solver based on interDyMFoam, adding code for performing a second dynamic mesh operation, on top of the first one.

Best regards,
Bruno

BielawskiR October 17, 2014 12:12

Will that method only work with r-refinment where the number of cells does not change?

wyldckat October 18, 2014 13:16

Greetings BielawskiR and welcome to the forum!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BielawskiR (Post 514862)
Will that method only work with r-refinment where the number of cells does not change?

:confused: Sorry, but I don't understand what exactly you're asking about. Can you please be more specific?

Best regards,
Bruno