CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/)
-   -   Change Flow Properties in region (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-solving/96252-change-flow-properties-region.html)

khoopes January 17, 2012 11:31

Change Flow Properties in region

I am not verry familiar with OpenFOAM, but would like to learn more about it. This is just a question to point me in the right direction. I am doing some modeling of Plasma Flow control and will be modeling it as volumetric energy addition. Is there something in OpenFoam that I could use to add energy to a specified volume at specified times in the simulation? In FLUENT, I would use a UDF to accomplish this (I think) what would I look into to do it via OpenFOAM?

Thanks,

Kevin

Chris Lucas January 18, 2012 04:58

Hi,

I'm not sure if you need the time dependent energy addition at a BC or in the flow field (a few more information would be helpful).

In case of the BC, have a look at funkySetField and at the BC classes in OpenFoam. This should at least give you a clue how to implement the needed function yourself

If your need it in the flow field, I guess you can add a term in the energy equation that does the trick.

Best Regards,
Christian

gschaider January 18, 2012 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoopes (Post 339753)
I am not verry familiar with OpenFOAM, but would like to learn more about it. This is just a question to point me in the right direction. I am doing some modeling of Plasma Flow control and will be modeling it as volumetric energy addition. Is there something in OpenFoam that I could use to add energy to a specified volume at specified times in the simulation? In FLUENT, I would use a UDF to accomplish this (I think) what would I look into to do it via OpenFOAM?

Thanks,

Kevin

As you've got access to the whole sources in OpenFOAM you don't need UDFs for such things. You take an existing solver and adapt it to your needs. For the thing you want (a volumetric source term) this is quite easy: just write the additional term into the differential equation (OK. you've got to do some additional stuff like creating fields). If you're still experimenting how the source-term looks like you can use expressionSource from the swak4Foam-package (search the Forum for expressionSource: you'll find a recipe how to include it in an existing solver)

khoopes January 20, 2012 15:04

Thanks for the feedback, I think OpenFOAM is what I want to use for this project. I have been setting up my system so that I can recompile parts of OpenFOAM that I edit. I did some experimentation and edited laplacianFoam to include a uniform heat source and it seems to work well. I followed another post of the forum. From what I understand I can use funkysetfeilds to get the shape of the source right, but how can I pulse the source in time? I will admit, I havent looked much into any of the set fields things, but I am just trying to think in advance.

Thanks,

Kevin

gschaider January 20, 2012 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoopes (Post 340359)
Thanks for the feedback, I think OpenFOAM is what I want to use for this project. I have been setting up my system so that I can recompile parts of OpenFOAM that I edit. I did some experimentation and edited laplacianFoam to include a uniform heat source and it seems to work well. I followed another post of the forum. From what I understand I can use funkysetfeilds to get the shape of the source right, but how can I pulse the source in time? I will admit, I havent looked much into any of the set fields things, but I am just trying to think in advance.

Thanks,

Kevin

Concerning your question about a transient source term: One possible answer is in my previous post: expressionSource from swak4Foam