2D Airfoil Pressure Coefficients from simpleFOAM
After searching the forum, I have seen relatively limited discussion regarding validation of pressure distributions via simpleFOAM with experimental data.
I have a converged simpleFOAM result for 2D, incompressible, laminar, and attached flow about a thick airfoil. Using ptot as total pressure at the inlet, I have defined cp,
cp = 2(p* - ptot*)/(U0^2)
where * denotes density-normalized pressure values from simpleFOAM, p*=p/rho, ptot*=ptot/rho, and U0 is the velocity at the inlet.
Plotting these coefficients gives a puzzling non-smooth profile (Fig. attached).
Has anyone else observed this for a converged case? Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Thought I'd reply to my own post in case anyone else needs help in the future...
I found my surface geometry to be way too coarse, especially near the leading edge. Once I reverted to B-Splines in my gmsh setup to refine the initial STL file, I had success with snappyHexMesh in building the 2D grid. Then with a simple RANS (k-omega) turbulence model I was able to very closely match experimental pressure profiles.
The key is surface refinement. It is probably overkill as I haven't run any grid sensitivity study yet, but I used 1000 points around the leading edge. My STL file for a simple airfoil is 64MB...but I have good results :)
but for future reference, about 100-150 points in the cordwise direction should suffice, given that they are clustered near the LE.
Again with the hope of solving someone's problem in the future...I certainly have learned heaps from this forum.
Attached are the laminar simpleFoam & RANS results, compared to test data. There are certainly some more tweaks but the preliminary result is not bad.
@sail: Perhaps turbulence was a bigger deal here than I initially gave credit. However, the mesh is certainly much improved from the first plot.
Thanks for your tip, I'll be sure to try it out.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 14:55.|