CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD

The floating object tutorial

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   January 27, 2012, 15:59
Default The floating object tutorial
  #1
Member
 
Pierre
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 57
Rep Power: 5
Leech is on a distinguished road
Hi,

i am trying to get a case with floating objects running. Therefore i took several looks at the floatingObject tutorial coming with interDyMFoam.
When i run this tutorial single-core it works and finishes. But when i use decomposePar to split the case on 4 cores it crashes at 1,8s case time.
This is reproducible. It happens on my virtual machine hostet by Win7 and also on my pure Kubuntu machine.
OpenFoam in version 2.1.0 64Bit

This is happening no matter which decomposition method i am using. I used scotch and it crashed at 1,8s case time. When i use the decomposeParDict coming with the tutorial (using hierarchical decomposition) it crashes at 2s case time.

What is happening there?
Any suggestions how to get this fixed?

Thank you!
Greets
Leech

Last edited by Leech; January 27, 2012 at 18:16.
Leech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 27, 2012, 18:17
Default
  #2
Member
 
Pierre
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 57
Rep Power: 5
Leech is on a distinguished road
I found a workaround for the problem. They wrote: "There is a problem with the decomposition of point fields (i.e. pointDisplacement).Decompose the mesh before copying 0.org to 0 in each processor directory, so the pointDisplacement field is not operated on by the decomposition"

I tried to do it, but interDyMFoam cant run. I am using this script:

Quote:
#!/bin/sh
cd ${0%/*} || exit 1 # run from this directory

# Source tutorial run functions
. $WM_PROJECT_DIR/bin/tools/RunFunctions

# Set application name
application=`getApplication`

runApplication blockMesh
runApplication topoSet
runApplication subsetMesh -overwrite c0 -patch floatingObject
runApplication decomposePar
cp -rf 0.org ./processor0/0
cp -rf 0.org ./processor1/0
cp -rf 0.org ./processor2/0
cp -rf 0.org ./processor3/0
cp -rf 0.org ./0
runApplication setFields
runApplication foamJob -screen -parallel interDyMFoam
runApplication reconstructPar

# ----------------------------------------------------------------- end-of-file
interFoam says:
Quote:
Selecting dynamicFvMesh dynamicMotionSolverFvMesh
Selecting motion solver: displacementLaplacian
[0]
[0]
[0] --> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
[0] keyword procBoundary0to1 is undefined in dictionary "/home/foammstr/OpenFOAM/foammstr-2.1.0/run/floatingObject/processor0/0/pointDisplacement::boundaryField"
[0]
[0] file: /home/foammstr/OpenFOAM/foammstr-2.1.0/run/floatingObject/processor0/0/pointDisplacement::boundaryField from line 26 to line 42.
[0]
[0] From function dictionary::subDict(const word& keyword) const
[0] in file db/dictionary/dictionary.C at line 461.
[0]
FOAM parallel run exiting

I guess i confused something in the script, the order is incorrect.
Someone can help me with that?

Thanks!
Leech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 28, 2012, 07:30
Default
  #3
Super Moderator
 
Bruno Santos
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 6,987
Blog Entries: 32
Rep Power: 69
wyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the rough
Hi Leech,

Add this entry to "0.org/pointDisplacement":
Code:
    "procBoundary.*"
    {
        type            processor;
    }
Here's the modified "Allrun" script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd ${0%/*} || exit 1    # run from this directory

# Source tutorial run functions
. $WM_PROJECT_DIR/bin/tools/RunFunctions

# Set application name
application=`getApplication`

runApplication blockMesh
runApplication topoSet
runApplication subsetMesh -overwrite c0 -patch floatingObject
cp -r 0.org 0 > /dev/null 2>&1
runApplication setFields
runApplication decomposePar
for a in `seq 0 3`; do
  cp 0.org/pointDisplacement processor$a/0/
done
runParallel $application 4
Nonetheless, this doesn't fix the problem.

I've tried reducing the Courant limiters in "system/controlDict". I've tried reducing the relaxation factors and tweaking the PIMPLE parameters and ... no dice. I'm in no way an expert at this, but since others have also tried and failed, even with the 1.7.x version, I suggest that this might be categorized as a bug.

I suggest that you try filling another bug report on this subject: http://www.openfoam.com/mantisbt/my_view_page.php

Best regards,
Bruno
wyldckat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 28, 2012, 17:55
Default
  #4
Member
 
Pierre
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 57
Rep Power: 5
Leech is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your work Bruno!
I reported the bug: http://www.openfoam.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=401
Leech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 28, 2012, 18:52
Default
  #5
Super Moderator
 
Bruno Santos
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 6,987
Blog Entries: 32
Rep Power: 69
wyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the rough
Hi Leech,

I've noticed your bug report before I saw your post here .

I've also tested the complete workaround that was given in OpenFOAM 1.7.x, on 2.1.x, but with no success either.

Nonetheless, the complete adaptation would be:
  • The Allrun script should contain something like this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    cd ${0%/*} || exit 1    # run from this directory
    
    # Source tutorial run functions
    . $WM_PROJECT_DIR/bin/tools/RunFunctions
    
    # Set application name
    application=`getApplication`
    
    runApplication blockMesh
    runApplication topoSet
    runApplication subsetMesh -overwrite c0 -patch floatingObject
    #cp -r 0.org 0 > /dev/null 2>&1
    #runApplication setFields
    #runApplication $application
    
    runApplication decomposePar
    
    for proc in processor*
    do
       cp -r 0.org $proc/0 > /dev/null 2>&1
    done
    
    runParallel setFields 4
    runParallel $application 4
    
    #runApplication reconstructPar
  • The remaining fixes to the files at "0.org" are shown here: https://github.com/OpenCFD/OpenFOAM-...97d7b65de5eef1
Best regards,
Bruno
wyldckat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 29, 2012, 17:55
Default
  #6
Member
 
Pierre
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 57
Rep Power: 5
Leech is on a distinguished road
Hey,

as I am trying to build a case with floating objects i now switched to singlecore as long as there is no fix. I got a different very confusing problem at this point.

I changed the floatingObject tutorial just a little bit (changed the box to a different size and adjusted the water height and the position of the floating box and the mass centre of the box). I even removed the pile of water crashing down, as i later want to make the waves by waves2Foam (or groovyBC).

When i run interDymFoam in singlecore-mode now it crashes immediately after 2-3 steps. I just cant figure out why. My floating case i made also crashes, thats why i thought i try the tutorial as base and change it in little steps. But as i change one little thing it crashes.
Maybe someone wants to take a look at it, i will attach it. For any tips thank you sooo much!
I am getting hard angry is i am trying to get this floating-thing to work since 4 weeks now and my boss wants to see something in the near future

So thank you!
Greets
Leech
Attached Files
File Type: zip floatingObject.zip (12.9 KB, 52 views)
Leech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 30, 2012, 06:13
Default hydrodynamics analysis(under water)
  #7
hhh
Senior Member
 
kumar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 115
Rep Power: 4
hhh is on a distinguished road
Dear friends,
i am doing analysis in under water hydrodynamics,i design one simple model in catia like 3D rectangular box,with flap,i dont how to start i want to know how to import that 3D model in open foam and how to mesh ,how to set boundary condition that is medium is water not air,what kind of solver i can choose for example in commericial software we do as to put outer domain inside cad model and set boundary conditions, meshing and to write udf for that flap,and compute in fluent and get results,these all work how do in openfoam,please kindly guide me as soon as possible for your valuable time spending in this area
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 20, 2013, 08:47
Default
  #8
New Member
 
Ed Ransley
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Rep Power: 4
Ed R is on a distinguished road
Dear All,

Have you had any luck getting the floatingObject tutorial to run in parallel? I have try the methods posted above and it runs but the box just sinks and the simulation crashes. Any tips on how to get this to run in parallel would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed
Ed R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 21, 2013, 06:28
Default
  #9
Super Moderator
 
Bruno Santos
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 6,987
Blog Entries: 32
Rep Power: 69
wyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the rough
Greetings Ed,

AFAIK, with this case, consider yourself lucky if it doesn't crash in serial!

The following bug report as not yet been fixed: http://www.openfoam.org/mantisbt/view.php?id=417

Nonetheless, you can try the schemes mentioned on these posts:
Best regards,
Bruno
wyldckat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 7, 2014, 04:10
Default
  #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 69
Rep Power: 5
haze_1986 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Bruno for the information. I have encountered an error while the solver is solving for the cellDisplacement, did I do anything wrong?

Code:
/*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*\
| =========                 |                                                 |
| \\      /  F ield         | OpenFOAM: The Open Source CFD Toolbox           |
|  \\    /   O peration     | Version:  2.1.0                                 |
|   \\  /    A nd           | Web:      www.OpenFOAM.org                      |
|    \\/     M anipulation  |                                                 |
\*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
Build  : 2.1.0-0bc225064152
Exec   : interDyMFoam -parallel
Date   : Mar 07 2014
Time   : 16:49:54
Host   : "jhc"
PID    : 5675
Case   : /home/caelinux/OpenFOAM/caelinux-2.1.0/run/tutorials/multiphase/interDyMFoam/ras/groovyFloatingObject
nProcs : 2
Slaves : 
1
(
"jhc.5676"
)

Pstream initialized with:
    floatTransfer     : 0
    nProcsSimpleSum   : 0
    commsType         : nonBlocking
sigFpe : Enabling floating point exception trapping (FOAM_SIGFPE).
fileModificationChecking : Monitoring run-time modified files using timeStampMaster
allowSystemOperations : Disallowing user-supplied system call operations

// * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * //
Create time

Create mesh for time = 0

Selecting dynamicFvMesh dynamicMotionSolverFvMesh
Selecting motion solver: displacementLaplacian
Selecting motion diffusion: inverseDistance
Reading field p_rgh

Reading field alpha1

Reading field U

Reading/calculating face flux field phi

Reading transportProperties

Selecting incompressible transport model Newtonian
Selecting incompressible transport model Newtonian
Selecting turbulence model type RASModel
Selecting RAS turbulence model kEpsilon
kEpsilonCoeffs
{
    Cmu             0.09;
    C1              1.44;
    C2              1.92;
    sigmaEps        1.3;
}


Reading g
Calculating field g.h


PIMPLE: Operating solver in PISO mode

time step continuity errors : sum local = 0, global = 0, cumulative = 0
GAMGPCG:  Solving for pcorr, Initial residual = 0, Final residual = 0, No Iterations 0
time step continuity errors : sum local = 0, global = 0, cumulative = 0
Courant Number mean: 0 max: 0

Starting time loop

Interface Courant Number mean: 0 max: 0
Courant Number mean: 0 max: 0
deltaT = 0.01
Time = 0.01

Centre of mass: (0.5 0.5 0.5)
Linear velocity: (6.34413156929e-18 0 -0.389586632117)
Angular velocity: (5.51568309119e-16 -1.30131089673e-15 4.81867632216e-18)
GAMG:  Solving for cellDisplacementy, Initial residual = 0, Final residual = 0, No Iterations 0
GAMG:  Solving for cellDisplacementz, Initial residual = 0, Final residual = 0, No Iterations 0
--> FOAM Warning : 
    From function twoDPointCorrector::twoDPointCorrector(const polyMesh& mesh, const vector& n)
    in file twoDPointCorrector/twoDPointCorrector.C at line 164
    The number of points in the mesh is not equal to twice the number of edges normal to the plane - this may be OK only for wedge geometries.
    Please check the geometry or adjust the orthogonality tolerance.

Number of normal edges: 50186 number of points: 51492
[1] swak4Foam: Allocating new repository for sampledGlobalVariables
[0] swak4Foam: Allocating new repository for sampledGlobalVariables
Execution time for mesh.update() = 0.27 s
time step continuity errors : sum local = 0, global = 0, cumulative = 0
GAMGPCG:  Solving for pcorr, Initial residual = 0, Final residual = 0, No Iterations 0
time step continuity errors : sum local = 0, global = 0, cumulative = 0
MULES: Solving for alpha1
Liquid phase volume fraction = 0.530701754355  Min(alpha1) = 0  Max(alpha1) = 1
MULES: Solving for alpha1
Liquid phase volume fraction = 0.530701754355  Min(alpha1) = 0  Max(alpha1) = 1
MULES: Solving for alpha1
Liquid phase volume fraction = 0.530701754355  Min(alpha1) = 0  Max(alpha1) = 1
GAMG:  Solving for p_rgh, Initial residual = 1, Final residual = 0.0042458526214, No Iterations 3
time step continuity errors : sum local = 0.000812490771455, global = -0.000136684627106, cumulative = -0.000136684627106
GAMGPCG:  Solving for p_rgh, Initial residual = 0.000101213989295, Final residual = 1.36407553462e-09, No Iterations 5
time step continuity errors : sum local = 3.43954420172e-08, global = 9.87711501195e-10, cumulative = -0.000136683639395
smoothSolver:  Solving for epsilon, Initial residual = 0.0326420728704, Final residual = 9.53691786432e-07, No Iterations 8
smoothSolver:  Solving for k, Initial residual = 1, Final residual = 7.52383903742e-07, No Iterations 14
ExecutionTime = 1.57 s  ClockTime = 2 s

Interface Courant Number mean: 0 max: 0
Courant Number mean: 0.00180830835435 max: 0.0339703528711
deltaT = 0.01
Time = 0.02

Centre of mass: (0.5 0.5 0.492208267358)
Linear velocity: (0.00068164173596 -0.00307568326139 -0.715293177715)
Angular velocity: (0.0169842938365 0.00445484220003 0.000256960734948)
GAMG:  Solving for cellDisplacementy, Initial residual = 0, Final residual = 0, No Iterations 0
GAMG:  Solving for cellDisplacementz, Initial residual = 1, Final residual = 9.70021948361e-06, No Iterations 6
[1] processorPolyPatch::calcGeometry : Writing my 1512 faces to OBJ file "/home/caelinux/OpenFOAM/caelinux-2.1.0/run/tutorials/multiphase/interDyMFoam/ras/groovyFloatingObject/processor1/procBoundary1to0_faces.obj"
[0] processorPolyPatch::calcGeometry : Writing my 1512 faces to OBJ file "/home/caelinux/OpenFOAM/caelinux-2.1.0/run/tutorials/multiphase/interDyMFoam/ras/groovyFloatingObject/processor0/procBoundary0to1_faces.obj"
[1] processorPolyPatch::calcGeometry : Dumping cell centre lines between corresponding face centres to OBJ file"/home/caelinux/OpenFOAM/caelinux-2.1.0/run/tutorials/multiphase/interDyMFoam/ras/groovyFloatingObject/processor1/procBoundary1to0_faceCentresConnections.obj"
[0] processorPolyPatch::calcGeometry : Dumping cell centre lines between corresponding face centres to OBJ file"/home/caelinux/OpenFOAM/caelinux-2.1.0/run/tutorials/multiphase/interDyMFoam/ras/groovyFloatingObject/processor0/procBoundary0to1_faceCentresConnections.obj"
[0] [1] 
[1] 
[1] --> FOAM FATAL ERROR: 
[1] face 1470 area does not match neighbour by 0.470508912681% -- possible face ordering problem.
patch:procBoundary1to0 my area:0.000414788088652 neighbour area:0.000416744305665 matching tolerance:2.25892959731e-08
Mesh face:146827 vertices:4((0.325 0.35 0.49252126208) (0.35 0.35 0.49252126208) (0.35 0.35 0.50903350177) (0.325 0.35 0.509192069482))
If you are certain your matching is correct you can increase the 'matchTolerance' setting in the patch dictionary in the boundary file.
Rerun with processor debug flag set for more information.
[1] 
[1]     From function processorPolyPatch::calcGeometry()
[1]     in file meshes/polyMesh/polyPatches/constraint/processor/processorPolyPatch.C at line 239.
[1] 
FOAM parallel run exiting
[1]
EDIT* when relaxing the tolerance to 0.05, it runs longer, several timesteps before the error.
haze_1986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 7, 2014, 15:04
Default
  #11
Super Moderator
 
Bruno Santos
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 6,987
Blog Entries: 32
Rep Power: 69
wyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the rough
Greetings haze_1986,

Honestly, I suggest that you upgrade to the latest OpenFOAM version. The version 2.1.0 is very likely to have had issues with the floating object tutorial, when small changes were made to the tutorial. And I'm not familiar with a "groovyFloatingObject" tutorial, but if it came from swak4Foam, then it might not be fully up-to-date either.

Best regards,
Bruno
wyldckat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 7, 2014, 20:53
Default
  #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 69
Rep Power: 5
haze_1986 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldckat View Post
Greetings haze_1986,

Honestly, I suggest that you upgrade to the latest OpenFOAM version. The version 2.1.0 is very likely to have had issues with the floating object tutorial, when small changes were made to the tutorial. And I'm not familiar with a "groovyFloatingObject" tutorial, but if it came from swak4Foam, then it might not be fully up-to-date either.

Best regards,
Bruno
Greetings Bruno,

Would you recommend to use 3.0extend or 2.3.0? Thanks.
haze_1986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 8, 2014, 15:44
Default
  #13
Super Moderator
 
Bruno Santos
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 6,987
Blog Entries: 32
Rep Power: 69
wyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the rough
Hi haze_1986,
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze_1986 View Post
Would you recommend to use 3.0extend or 2.3.0?
Honestly, I suggest you install both. I'm not sure about the status of the floating object in either versions, but having both can come in handy, sooner or later.

Best regards,
Bruno
wyldckat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 9, 2014, 06:08
Default 3d FSI dynamicfvmesh
  #14
New Member
 
wuwenbo
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
wuwenbo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze_1986 View Post
Thanks Bruno for the information. I have encountered an error while the solver is solving for the cellDisplacement, did I do anything wrong?

Code:
/*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*\
| =========                 |                                                 |
| \\      /  F ield         | OpenFOAM: The Open Source CFD Toolbox           |
|  \\    /   O peration     | Version:  2.1.0                                 |
|   \\  /    A nd           | Web:      www.OpenFOAM.org                      |
|    \\/     M anipulation  |                                                 |
\*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
Build  : 2.1.0-0bc225064152
Exec   : interDyMFoam -parallel
Date   : Mar 07 2014
Time   : 16:49:54
Host   : "jhc"
PID    : 5675
Case   : /home/caelinux/OpenFOAM/caelinux-2.1.0/run/tutorials/multiphase/interDyMFoam/ras/groovyFloatingObject
nProcs : 2
Slaves : 
1
(
"jhc.5676"
)

Pstream initialized with:
    floatTransfer     : 0
    nProcsSimpleSum   : 0
    commsType         : nonBlocking
sigFpe : Enabling floating point exception trapping (FOAM_SIGFPE).
fileModificationChecking : Monitoring run-time modified files using timeStampMaster
allowSystemOperations : Disallowing user-supplied system call operations

// * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * //
Create time

Create mesh for time = 0

Selecting dynamicFvMesh dynamicMotionSolverFvMesh
Selecting motion solver: displacementLaplacian
Selecting motion diffusion: inverseDistance
Reading field p_rgh

Reading field alpha1

Reading field U

Reading/calculating face flux field phi

Reading transportProperties

Selecting incompressible transport model Newtonian
Selecting incompressible transport model Newtonian
Selecting turbulence model type RASModel
Selecting RAS turbulence model kEpsilon
kEpsilonCoeffs
{
    Cmu             0.09;
    C1              1.44;
    C2              1.92;
    sigmaEps        1.3;
}


Reading g
Calculating field g.h


PIMPLE: Operating solver in PISO mode

time step continuity errors : sum local = 0, global = 0, cumulative = 0
GAMGPCG:  Solving for pcorr, Initial residual = 0, Final residual = 0, No Iterations 0
time step continuity errors : sum local = 0, global = 0, cumulative = 0
Courant Number mean: 0 max: 0

Starting time loop

Interface Courant Number mean: 0 max: 0
Courant Number mean: 0 max: 0
deltaT = 0.01
Time = 0.01

Centre of mass: (0.5 0.5 0.5)
Linear velocity: (6.34413156929e-18 0 -0.389586632117)
Angular velocity: (5.51568309119e-16 -1.30131089673e-15 4.81867632216e-18)
GAMG:  Solving for cellDisplacementy, Initial residual = 0, Final residual = 0, No Iterations 0
GAMG:  Solving for cellDisplacementz, Initial residual = 0, Final residual = 0, No Iterations 0
--> FOAM Warning : 
    From function twoDPointCorrector::twoDPointCorrector(const polyMesh& mesh, const vector& n)
    in file twoDPointCorrector/twoDPointCorrector.C at line 164
    The number of points in the mesh is not equal to twice the number of edges normal to the plane - this may be OK only for wedge geometries.
    Please check the geometry or adjust the orthogonality tolerance.

Number of normal edges: 50186 number of points: 51492
[1] swak4Foam: Allocating new repository for sampledGlobalVariables
[0] swak4Foam: Allocating new repository for sampledGlobalVariables
Execution time for mesh.update() = 0.27 s
time step continuity errors : sum local = 0, global = 0, cumulative = 0
GAMGPCG:  Solving for pcorr, Initial residual = 0, Final residual = 0, No Iterations 0
time step continuity errors : sum local = 0, global = 0, cumulative = 0
MULES: Solving for alpha1
Liquid phase volume fraction = 0.530701754355  Min(alpha1) = 0  Max(alpha1) = 1
MULES: Solving for alpha1
Liquid phase volume fraction = 0.530701754355  Min(alpha1) = 0  Max(alpha1) = 1
MULES: Solving for alpha1
Liquid phase volume fraction = 0.530701754355  Min(alpha1) = 0  Max(alpha1) = 1
GAMG:  Solving for p_rgh, Initial residual = 1, Final residual = 0.0042458526214, No Iterations 3
time step continuity errors : sum local = 0.000812490771455, global = -0.000136684627106, cumulative = -0.000136684627106
GAMGPCG:  Solving for p_rgh, Initial residual = 0.000101213989295, Final residual = 1.36407553462e-09, No Iterations 5
time step continuity errors : sum local = 3.43954420172e-08, global = 9.87711501195e-10, cumulative = -0.000136683639395
smoothSolver:  Solving for epsilon, Initial residual = 0.0326420728704, Final residual = 9.53691786432e-07, No Iterations 8
smoothSolver:  Solving for k, Initial residual = 1, Final residual = 7.52383903742e-07, No Iterations 14
ExecutionTime = 1.57 s  ClockTime = 2 s

Interface Courant Number mean: 0 max: 0
Courant Number mean: 0.00180830835435 max: 0.0339703528711
deltaT = 0.01
Time = 0.02

Centre of mass: (0.5 0.5 0.492208267358)
Linear velocity: (0.00068164173596 -0.00307568326139 -0.715293177715)
Angular velocity: (0.0169842938365 0.00445484220003 0.000256960734948)
GAMG:  Solving for cellDisplacementy, Initial residual = 0, Final residual = 0, No Iterations 0
GAMG:  Solving for cellDisplacementz, Initial residual = 1, Final residual = 9.70021948361e-06, No Iterations 6
[1] processorPolyPatch::calcGeometry : Writing my 1512 faces to OBJ file "/home/caelinux/OpenFOAM/caelinux-2.1.0/run/tutorials/multiphase/interDyMFoam/ras/groovyFloatingObject/processor1/procBoundary1to0_faces.obj"
[0] processorPolyPatch::calcGeometry : Writing my 1512 faces to OBJ file "/home/caelinux/OpenFOAM/caelinux-2.1.0/run/tutorials/multiphase/interDyMFoam/ras/groovyFloatingObject/processor0/procBoundary0to1_faces.obj"
[1] processorPolyPatch::calcGeometry : Dumping cell centre lines between corresponding face centres to OBJ file"/home/caelinux/OpenFOAM/caelinux-2.1.0/run/tutorials/multiphase/interDyMFoam/ras/groovyFloatingObject/processor1/procBoundary1to0_faceCentresConnections.obj"
[0] processorPolyPatch::calcGeometry : Dumping cell centre lines between corresponding face centres to OBJ file"/home/caelinux/OpenFOAM/caelinux-2.1.0/run/tutorials/multiphase/interDyMFoam/ras/groovyFloatingObject/processor0/procBoundary0to1_faceCentresConnections.obj"
[0] [1] 
[1] 
[1] --> FOAM FATAL ERROR: 
[1] face 1470 area does not match neighbour by 0.470508912681% -- possible face ordering problem.
patch:procBoundary1to0 my area:0.000414788088652 neighbour area:0.000416744305665 matching tolerance:2.25892959731e-08
Mesh face:146827 vertices:4((0.325 0.35 0.49252126208) (0.35 0.35 0.49252126208) (0.35 0.35 0.50903350177) (0.325 0.35 0.509192069482))
If you are certain your matching is correct you can increase the 'matchTolerance' setting in the patch dictionary in the boundary file.
Rerun with processor debug flag set for more information.
[1] 
[1]     From function processorPolyPatch::calcGeometry()
[1]     in file meshes/polyMesh/polyPatches/constraint/processor/processorPolyPatch.C at line 239.
[1] 
FOAM parallel run exiting
[1]
EDIT* when relaxing the tolerance to 0.05, it runs longer, several timesteps before the error.
Hi,haze! I'm using foam-ext-3.0 to simulate 3d FSI problem. when i run in parallel,I encounter the same problem as you mentioned: "face area doesn't match neighbour ...." . It can work fine in serial and in 2d problem.
Have you fixed this problem? If you have, can you tell me how did you achieve that?
I hope my poor English will not hinder you understanding my meaning.
Best wish!
wuwenbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 16, 2014, 02:23
Default
  #15
New Member
 
wuwenbo
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
wuwenbo is on a distinguished road
Code:
[0] --> FOAM FATAL ERROR : face 0 area does  not match neighbour by 0.00287477 with tolerance 0.0001.  Possible face  ordering problem. 
 patch: procBoundary0to1 mesh face: 58328 
[0] 
[0]     From function 
[0] processorPolyPatch::calcGeometry() 
[0]     in file meshes/polyMesh/polyPatches/derivedPolyPatches/processorPolyPatch/processorPolyPatch.C at line 217. 
[0] 
FOAM parallel run exiting 
[0] 
[1] 
[1] 
[1] --> FOAM FATAL ERROR : face 0 area does not match neighbour by  0.00287477 with tolerance 0.0001.  Possible face ordering problem. 
 patch: procBoundary1to0 mesh face: 58360 
[1] 
[1]     From function 
[1] processorPolyPatch::calcGeometry() 
[1]     in file meshes/polyMesh/polyPatches/derivedPolyPatches/processorPolyPatch/processorPolyPatch.C at line 217. 
[1] 
FOAM parallel run exiting


I use foam-3.0-extend to simulate FSI, and I still encounter this error, can you help me?

Last edited by wyldckat; June 22, 2014 at 13:11. Reason: Added [CODE][/CODE]
wuwenbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 22, 2014, 13:22
Default
  #16
Super Moderator
 
Bruno Santos
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 6,987
Blog Entries: 32
Rep Power: 69
wyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the roughwyldckat is a jewel in the rough
Greetings wuwenbo and welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately you're not providing enough information in order to help you. Please read the following thread to understand what I mean: How to give enough info to get help

Because only in the second post you've made is there some inform about the exact error message. And that message seems to be due to the following reasons:
  1. You're running in parallel, which can increase the complexity of the problem. Possible solution: First try to run in serial mode, to see if you get the same error.
  2. The error message depends on what you're case is and what it looks like. More specifically, the error message suggests that the mesh is composed by very big cells and/or faces, for which the tolerance might not be applicable. For example, the message:
    Code:
    does  not match neighbour by 0.00287477 with tolerance 0.0001
    is telling you that the tolerance is 0.0001, which is the maximum allowed error. But the error you're getting is 0.00287477.
Therefore, as I've indicated above, please read this thread: How to give enough info to get help - and then follow the steps given there to provide enough information for people on the forum to be able to help you.

Best regards,
Bruno
wyldckat is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Error compiling OpenFOAM-1.6-ext Canesin OpenFOAM Installation 136 April 25, 2012 11:22
Floating object tutorial case in OpenFOAM 1.7 sega OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 11 February 9, 2012 04:29
Inserting a floating object on a restart RileyJ FLOW-3D 0 October 24, 2011 16:05
Compilation error OF1.5-dev on Suse10.3 darenyang OpenFOAM Installation 0 April 29, 2009 04:55
BlockMeshmergePatchPairs hjasak OpenFOAM Native Meshers: blockMesh 11 August 15, 2008 07:36


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 19:05.