CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/)
-   -   turbulence with chtMultiRegionFoam (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/103153-turbulence-chtmultiregionfoam.html)

dhruv June 12, 2012 10:20

turbulence with chtMultiRegionFoam

1 Attachment(s)
Hello All,

I have running a case, which involves using turbulence model with chtMultiRegionSimpleFoam solver. The run is always giving me a floating point exception. I am using kOmegaSST model for turbulence, and BC are wall functions at the walls. I tried to change the BC near the wall to fixedGradient or zeroGradient, but when I run the solver, it automatically updates my boundary file for k and omega to run time selectable wall functions, and creates alphat and mut file.

The error is given as follows.

Code:

Create time

Create fluid mesh for region fluid for time = 0

Create solid mesh for region solid for time = 0

*** Reading fluid mesh thermophysical properties for region fluid

Adding to thermoFluid

Selecting thermodynamics package hRhoThermo<pureMixture<constTransport<specieThermo<hConstThermo<perfectGas>>>>>
    Adding to rhoFluid

Adding to kappaFluid

Adding to UFluid

Adding to phiFluid

Adding to gFluid

Adding to turbulence

Selecting turbulence model type RASModel
Selecting RAS turbulence model kOmegaSST
#0  Foam::error::printStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/soft/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1  Foam::sigFpe::sigHandler(int) in "/soft/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2  in "/lib/libc.so.6"
#3  Foam::divide(Foam::Field<double>&, Foam::UList<double> const&, Foam::UList<double> const&) in "/soft/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so"
#4  void Foam::divide<Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>(Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>&, Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&) in "/soft/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so"
#5  Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > Foam::operator/<Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>(Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&) in "/soft/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so"
#6  Foam::compressible::RASModels::kOmegaSST::F2() const in "/soft/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libcompressibleRASModels.so"
#7  Foam::compressible::RASModels::kOmegaSST::kOmegaSST(Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Vector<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvsPatchField, Foam::surfaceMesh> const&, Foam::basicThermo const&, Foam::word const&, Foam::word const&) in "/soft/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libcompressibleRASModels.so"
#8  Foam::compressible::RASModel::adddictionaryConstructorToTable<Foam::compressible::RASModels::kOmegaSST>::New(Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Vector<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvsPatchField, Foam::surfaceMesh> const&, Foam::basicThermo const&, Foam::word const&) in "/soft/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libcompressibleRASModels.so"
#9  Foam::compressible::RASModel::New(Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Vector<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvsPatchField, Foam::surfaceMesh> const&, Foam::basicThermo const&, Foam::word const&) in "/soft/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libcompressibleRASModels.so"
#10  Foam::compressible::turbulenceModel::addturbulenceModelConstructorToTable<Foam::compressible::RASModel>::NewturbulenceModel(Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Vector<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvsPatchField, Foam::surfaceMesh> const&, Foam::basicThermo const&, Foam::word const&) in "/soft/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libcompressibleRASModels.so"
#11  Foam::compressible::turbulenceModel::New(Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<Foam::Vector<double>, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> const&, Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvsPatchField, Foam::surfaceMesh> const&, Foam::basicThermo const&, Foam::word const&) in "/soft/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/libcompressibleTurbulenceModel.so"
 in "/soft/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/chtMultiRegionSimpleFoam"
#13  __libc_start_main in "/lib/libc.so.6"
 in "/soft/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.x/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin/chtMultiRegionSimpleFoam"
Floating point exception

I am also attaching my BC for the fluid region. If I change the turbulenceProperties to laminar, everything works well. So, I guess, there is no problem in the domain and the mesh splitting in two regions.

Anyone with some ideas??

Regards,
Dhruv.

dhruv June 13, 2012 10:34

Solved

Hello All,

I solved this problem today. In the p file of the fluid, one of the boundary conditions needs to be modified to run it correctly.

Incorrect:

fluid_to_solid
{
type calculated;
value uniform 0;
}

This is not working. I replaced it by zeroGradient. Now the case works. Can anyone suggest why the other one does not work?

Thanks,
Dhruv.